The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Sign in to follow this  
Jelly

Nortriptyline / Amytriptyline ?

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Jelly

I have just started taking Nortriptyline, and believe that it is very similar to Amytriptyline.

I notice it says that you should not drink alcohol while taking this drug.

Now, I hope this doesn't make me sound like I drink a lot, but has anyone drunk alcohol while on this medication?

I just enjoy an occassional glass of wine or other drink.

We are going out to dinner with friends tomorrow night, and I am wondering if it will be safe to have a glass of something alcoholic.

If I do have a drink, what are the likely consequences? Will it just make me more tired and perhaps more tipsy, or are there more serious consequences?

Hoping for some quick replies as I am hoping for a glass of wine tomorrow evening!! :squiffy:

Procrastinating
Stumbler

jelly, I picked up on this warning:-

"Do not drink alcohol while you are being treated with nortriptyline. Taking nortriptyline and alcohol will increase the chance that you experience side-effects."

on this website, http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Nortriptyline.htm, where you can read the potential side-effects.

I'd like to think that a moderate glass of wine wouldn't create a great risk, but I'm not medical. :smile:

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Jelly

Thanks Stumbler,

Looking at this site, it sounds like the most likely symptom would be sleepiness and blurred vision.

I am undecided as to what to do, but perhaps I'll be duty driver.

ClaireyCro

Hiya

I've been on amitryptline for a couple of months had a glass of red wine a couple of weeks ago and it did make me feel quite dizzy so I would advise against it.xxxxxx

Sleepy
Scully

Hello,

My MS Nurse said quite recently that Nortriptyline didn't have such side effects as amitriptyline does. She only mentioned it as if I take my amitriptyline too late in the evening I wake up feeling very hungover.

At the start of both these medications, the main side effect is sleepiness, which often wears off after a few weeks. So I wouldn't drink if you are just starting out with it at any rate.

I do enjoy a glass of red with my evening meal, the amitriptyline hasn't stopped me doing that thus far. It's likely that as I have the glass of red later in the evening, and the amitriptyline a few hours earlier, that I may be a not more sleepy and able to get off to sleep easier.

Scully

X

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Jelly

Scully, maybe its the red wine that makes you wake up feeling very hungover! lol!

I have been taking Nortriptyline for two weeks. My Pain Consultant who prescribed it did say that it has less side effects than Amitriptyline but is more expensive so GPs prefer to use Amitriptyline. I haven't really noticed that I am more sleepy than normal. I fall asleep in the evening while watching tv or doing anything passive anyway. I feel fine in the morning.

I will probably not drink tomorrow night. I think I'll wait until we are having a quite evening in, to find out what happens.

Thanks for the help all of you. :hearts_circle:

mustard

Hi,Bit of a late reply, but thought I'd add my 2cents. My mum is on amitriptilene and she does get sleepy with it, but she does still have a glass of red wine or two some evenings. She's never been a massive drinker, always in moderation. She did say it does make her more sleepy when she drinks, especially initially while she was getting used to it. But now she can go out to the pub or a gig and even have a few whilst out.

I do think your idea of waiting until you are at home to try a drink is a good one though. Everyone is different, and although it's not dangerous per se (not like a few drugs that it is very dodgy to drink with, but I always find they make a big point of that when you get them from the gp and from the chemist if that is the case) it could well make any potential side effects from the drug, or from the alcohol, more enhanced. So sensible to test that at home to start with methinks :)

Mustard x

Edited by mustard

RRMS, diagnosed 2010

Surprise baby due 31.7.13 - never been more excited!

Jelly

Thanks mustard; I don't want to embarras myself! :gaga:

LynnWilliams

Hi everyone

Glad I read this, as I started the Amiltyptline, and I felt groggy in the mornings so stopped taking it, so will get back on it, i just thought it did not agree with me as I am not like that on the Baclofen ;))

Jelly

Hi Lynn,

I have read on here, that you take take it 12 hours before you want to get up in the morning to minimise feeling sleepy in the morning.

I didn't drink any alcohol this evening. I'll try that one evening when we are staying home and don't have to be up early in the morning.

I haven't really noticed any side effects from the Nortriptyline, but I have only been taking it for a couple of weeks.

I was prescribed Amitriptyline a couple of years ago, but didn't like the sound of the side effects so didn't use it. I have been told the the Nortriptyline

has less side effects.

LynnWilliams

Hi Jelly

Trouble is i like my alcohol at the weekends, just to feel normal lol. So like you, probably try it at home see how i go. Ido drink alcohol on baclofen. trial and error haha

Good luck

Ill do a review about it on this post :)

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Lynn,

Yes definitely take the amitriptyline about 12 hours before you want to get up. There is no hungover of groggy feeling the next morning. I've played around a bit with it, and I tend to take 30mg around 6pm. If I get Jo around 7 it works fine.

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"