The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
pigeon64

How do I set out this symptoms list?

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

pigeon64

Hi guys

Following on from advice from the wonderful members on here, and checking advice from the Walton centre website about first visits, I decided to knuckle down with this symptom list. But I am getting nowhere as everything seems like I have made it too long and gone into too much detail. What is the best way to shorten it but make it be seen what is happening to me? I can remember when things have happened to me roughly but not sure on dates etc. Do I need to put dates in? I am okay with remembering roughly how long symptoms have lasted.

Thanks in advance :hearts_circle:

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Pigeon,

It's often best to try and keep these lists as short and and succinct as possible. It's like anything else, if it's too long and involved, the meaning gets lost and it's hard to read.

Exact dates are not really important, just a rough guide as to the month etc will do.

Something like this......and this is entirely fictional.

January - tingling in face and tongue - three weeks duration

March - loss of power in right hand - six weeks duration

( difficulty gripping and lifting )

July - blurry vision during evenings - two months

( checked with optician - no optic neuritis detected )

September - loss of balance - ongoing

Worse somedays than others

So you see, just a month, a symptom, and duration, with perhaps a short descriptive sentence underneath each one if necessary.

The timeline ( I.e. the rough start date) is important , as is the rough duration, but try not to go into reams of detail.

Hope this helps

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Hezza

Hi Pigeon,

When I've tried to track my symptoms in the past I've simply made a list of short descriptions and then noted alongside them when they occurred and how long for. If relevant I would also note if I thought something in particular like not sleeping well or being too hot may have contributed e.g.

Itchy arm - Monday morning

Fatigue - bad all week

Restless legs - Wednesday evening

It's not something that I ever prepared for an appointment though and not something that I do regularly now but I think keeping it as brief and concise as possible would the best thing to do. If the Neuro reviews it then he / she will take in more from a concise list than from trying to read a lot of information in the time you have for your appointment.

How about using the detailed list you have already created as the basis for a detailed summary. Then you can use the summary but have the further detail with you and either offer it to the Neuro or use it to refer to?

Bear in mind that some doctors like lists and others don't, prefering to listen to what you say during the appointment and perform their own tests, so try not to be put off if the Neuro doesn't seem too interested in your list while you are with them. They may well review it later.

I hope this helps a little. I'm sure some of the other members will be along with their own advice soon.

xx

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

pigeon64

Hezza & Scully :kisslips:

Thankyou for your advice. I think I get the jist of it now and I can use what I have already written so far and make it all shorter. If I can read it that is, it started out nice and neat and a legible size, and then went so small and scruffy I have doubts that I will be able to decipher it.

HeidelsCorner

Thanks for the advice folks! I'm under the care of the Walton centre too, Pigeon :) I haven't been keeping a symptom list but I like Scully's idea - thought about adding it to my calendar too, then I could look back and potentially spot any trends...

Love 'n' Blessings

Clare x

pigeon64

Thanks for the advice folks! I'm under the care of the Walton centre too, Pigeon :) I haven't been keeping a symptom list but I like Scully's idea - thought about adding it to my calendar too, then I could look back and potentially spot any trends...

Hi there, glad this topic helped you too. I just had no idea how to put it all down. Hopefully I will get there and maybe the neuro will give me some idea of what is going on. I am looking forward to it and dreading it all at the same time ♥