The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
PaulX

Forum Upgrade

23 posts in this topic Last Reply

Lurking
PaulX

I see from the upgrade announcement that the avatar and profile picture are going to be combined, which is a little bit of pain.

Will there be the chance for each member to have their own photo gallery so we can stick our ugly mugs in there?

I don't mind having a profile picture for those that are interested but I am not ever so keen on having it as the main picture for the casual user, hence the meaningful (to me at least) avatar.

I know with these upgrades it is a case of gaining in some areas and losing out in others.

Cheers,

Paul

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Sluggish
Marina

Yes, combining avatars and profile photos is a pain. One can still use an avatar image in lieu of an actual photo.

There's already a section in the "Photos" section for photos of members. What i could do with the Photos section is make it visible to members only and not to the world. OR I could make avatars/photos visible only to registered members, same as profile photos are now. Would either of those help?

Also, during the actual upgrade of my test site, there was an option to transfer either profile photos or avatars as the new combined "photo". So, it might be best if avatars were transferred over rather than photos, in which case you don't need to worry about changing your profile photos to avatars. I didn't know this upgrade feature was available when I wrote about it the other day. That being the case, people needn't change their photos to their avatars. I've got to go out now, but I'll amend my notice later to reflect that.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Lurking
PaulX

There's already a section in the "Photos" section for photos of members. What i could do with the Photos section is make it visible to members only and not to the world. OR I could make avatars/photos visible only to registered members, same as profile photos are now. Would either of those help?

I would say make the Photos of members visible to members only and leave the avatar/photo as visible by everyone.

Also, during the actual upgrade of my test site, there was an option to transfer either profile photos or avatars as the new combined "photo". So, it might be best if avatars were transferred over rather than photos, in which case you don't need to worry about changing your profile photos to avatars. I didn't know this upgrade feature was available when I wrote about it the other day. That being the case, people needn't change their photos to their avatars. I've got to go out now, but I'll amend my notice later to reflect that.

So for me that is basically a do nothing option, I like that.

It is all no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Regards,

Paul

Edited by PaulX

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Sluggish
Marina

Your wish is my command (in this instance!)... the Photos section is now hidden from non-members :flowerface: Not sure why I didn't do this ages ago! :headscratch:

Marina

Lurking
PaulX

Your wish is my command (in this instance!)... the Photos section is now hidden from non-members :flowerface:Not sure why I didn't do this ages ago! :headscratch:

Thank you very much. :smile:

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Lurking
PaulX

Oh wow, this is all different.

I shall have to play in the morning, time for bed now.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Sluggish
Marina

Nothing as different as last year's upgrade was, Paul! That was a mega huge difference...

It's actually not quite all that different. It may perhaps look that way as I changed or added some extra colour, and as some things have moved around a bit, like the menus at the top, and as there are a couple of new things.

I won't be around tomorrow to answer any possible queries... but one of the mods might possibly be able to help in the meantime :hippy:

Marina

Lurking
PaulX

I can't change my mood. I have zapped the cookies but it still doesn't happen for me.

The rest seems to work, well what I have tried so far.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Lurking
PaulX

I can't change my mood. I have zapped the cookies but it still doesn't happen for me.

The rest seems to work, well what I have tried so far.

Please ignore this, clearing the browser cache did the trick.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Hezza

Glad to hear that it's sorted now, Paul.

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Lurking
PaulX

I am not getting email notifications of when a post had been added to a topic i am subscribed to though. I get them for PM's still.

Are you still automatically subscribed when you post to a topic?

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Lurking
PaulX

I am not getting email notifications of when a post had been added to a topic i am subscribed to though. I get them for PM's still.

Are you still automatically subscribed when you post to a topic?

It seems the notification settings I had were cleared. Hopefully putting them back as they were should sort that one out.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Hezza

Hi Paul,

Did the changes that you made to your notification settings do the trick?

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Paul,

All my notifications were cleared with the upgrade as well. If you go into your profile,then notifications, and check the boxes again, then save, it should restore the settings so that you are notified as before.

Let us know if it fixes it?

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Sluggish
Marina

Yes, I did briefly mention the problem with notifications in the topic about new and changed stuff on the forum, but it might not have been obvious enough. Sorry if it wasn't clear, my fault for being rather tired as well as in a hurry to get the forum back online.

It's not just this forum, seems it happens to other forums with this version of IPB on it, including IPB's own forum. It might be because they changed certain parts of the notifications system and added a couple of other notification options. People do need to go to their settings and check their notifications, in case any have changed. It might not have happened to everybody, just to some - perhaps depending on how they had their notifications set.

Marina

Lurking
PaulX

Resetting the notifications does appear to have done the trick.

Regards,

Paul

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Sluggish
Marina

Jolly good, Paul :hippy: resetting them should indeed do the trick.

Marina

Lurking
PaulX

Wow, you don't half get a lot of info on what the members are up to now.

i shall have to watch myself. :spin:

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Sluggish
Marina

Paul, you may want to go to the Settings link for "Content I Follow", then click the button "Edit Toggle" and check the options at the bottom of the page :wink2:

Marina

Lurking
PaulX

Paul, you may want to go to the Settings link for "Content I Follow", then click the button "Edit Toggle" and check the options at the bottom of the page :wink2:

What I actually meant is when you hover over a members name you get to see what they are up to, almost to the point of what they had for breakfast. :lol:

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Sluggish
Marina

Ah, the profile "hover card" which is a mini version of profiles, I seem to remember it used to have that in profiles the very old v.2 (the one I upgraded from last year), it disappeared from the version we just upgraded from and IPB put it back in this version... I'm not able to disable it, I'm afraid! :sorry:

Marina

Sluggish
Marina

Actually, looking at it again, it only shows that "currently active" line if the member's online, which one's always been able to see in the list of online users at the bottom of the main page. Otherwise, it doesn't show anything different to what shows either next to your posts in topics, and/or on your profile. So, nothing new in it after all, except for the latest update which has been added :hippy:

Marina

Sluggish
Marina

A quick note to say I've edited some of the topics in the "How To's" section to update them, where some might have changed slightly after this upgrade.

Marina