The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Ruby Red

Living Wills

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Ruby Red

I'm Curious as to if any has a living will in place?

I have had Two for 8 years, an NHS Living will directive, which I update every year and attached to medical notes and is with the on call/out of hours team and one I had drawn up solicitors. The General idea is if I'm incoherent my Husband precents the will and treatment or rather no treatment in my case will be followed. My husbands only produced it twice when Doctors decided they wanted to play hero.

Does anyone else find Hospital Doctors don't listen? I tell them what i need and most take offense that I know what works best for my MS I cant be the only one who has experienced this or am I ?

Hugs and love Amy x

Hezza

Hi Amy,

I know of living wills but don't have one in place though it may well be something that I will do.

I've been fortunate that, so far, I've not needed any hospital treatment for anything other than as a day patient for IV steroids. My GPs, Neuros and MS Nurses have all been pretty good at trusting my own knowledge of my body too.

xx

Ps. I've moved your topic into the MS Discussion section as it may get more views & replies in there x

Edited by Hezza

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Ruby Red

hi Hezza, still learning my way round :)

I tend to find with me its always out of hours doctors cause me problems. while they access your basic notes they don’t know you from Adam. what started the ball for me was flu with breathing difficulty’s, next thing i know im in hospital hooked up to machines. Even though i refused treatment they called in the psych team who's words still haunt me " its her underlying medical condition clouding her judgement to make rational decisions " and i was sectioned for 48 hours and treatment forced onme.. and there wasn’t a thing hubbie could do, he new my wishes of no machines and tried to explain this but he was threatened with arrest if he didn’t leave after i was sectioned.. in fact because he refused he was arrested. Its something nobody ever thinks about what are the medical wishes, as soon as i was out i had a living will with in a week I now present it to every doctor and nurse I talk to.

Dewi1jack

Thanks for the warning on this.

I am still coming to terms and to find that doctors will not follow my wishes, is frightening.

Both my daughter and fiancée, know that I have always had a wish for 'no resuscitation', didn't know that Drs' could overrule them, let alone get either arrested.

I suppose I really shouldn't be surprised.

Is it better to get a living will drawn up by a solicitor, or are the downloadable versions on the internet ok and legal/ acceptable?

Best wishes Amy and thanks for the warning

Take care.

Dewi. X

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Claiming DLA whilst living abroad

ADMIN NOTE, January 2024: The situation for claiming disability benefits when abroad has changed since this topic was first posted. Please see the latest information at the bottom of this topic in post #21.     Hi,   I know that their are several Forum members that live abroad, so I thought this may be of interest to anyone who may have lost their disability benefits after moving to Cyprus.   Fight to reinstate benefits from UK AN online petition has been set up to press the UK government to extend the payment of benefits to Britons living in other EU countries and Switzerland. The e-petition link is: Petition the Prime Minister to reinstate those benefits ( DLA, CA, AA) removed from expats. There is also a campaign started by expats living in France & Spain which will give a little up to date information, they are asking for people to join their campaign.   Make your voice heard on this issue. Join the campaign on Facebook: Link from Face Book to Petition   Extract from another article   A European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruling on October 18, 2007 declared that the UK had illegally stopped paying benefits, including carers allowance, disability living allowance and attendance allowance by over-riding existing exportability rules.   As such, anyone currently based in the UK receiving these benefits will be able to export certain components if they choose to relocate within another EEA state or Switzerland.   However, it should be pointed out that for those expats seeking for reinstatement of these benefits, the Department of Works and Pensions is 'still considering the legal implications of paying benefit to people who are already living in another EEA state or Switzerland who wish to claim from abroad'.   We have taken this issue up with our previous UK constituent MP, who has approached the exportability co-ordinator of the Department of Work and Pensions' Disability and Carers Service on our behalf - only to receive the same standard response as quoted above.   It appears, therefore, that Mr Gordon Brown and his cronies are doing everything in their power to ensure that those people - unlawfully robbed of their legal entitlement to an exportable benefit - continue to be prevented from receiving any monies due to them.

in A Survivor's Guide to Multiple Sclerosis

• BBC1 TODAY Jack Osbourne talk about living with MS

Got this from the MS Society , should be interesting   Don’t forget to tune in to BBC1 at 5.05pm today to hear Jack Osbourne talk about living with MS for the first time on UK TV.   The TV personality found out he had MS in 2012 and describes diagnosis as his “scariest moment”.   Jack will be appealing for people to donate to the MS Society. The money we raise will be spent across the MS Society’s work, including our groundbreaking research programme, our helpline and our grants for family breaks and vital equipment.

in General Discussion about MS

• Living alone

I have secondary progressive MS and live alone and am now really struggling, I wondered if anyone else on the site lives alone and what kind of help they get. Thanks

• Personal views on living with MS

Hi everyone, I'm a 3rd year manufacturing engineering student at Cambridge University; we have a major project this year for researching, designing and securing funding for the development of an original design idea. I strongly wish to do something to aid the life of MS sufferers because my mum lives with it, and this seems to be an ideal opportunity to create something which could be useful. I have some ideas but I'm looking for more views of everyday problems that are faced, being as specific and detailed as possible, you do not have to have any preconceived idea how the problem could be solved, for example, one suggestion asked for a way to get into/out of a swimming pool without using the pool's hoist. Any help will be greatly appreciated, I hope we can make something really worthwhile! Anna

• Living with the enemy

Hi all. I did post a topic in the newbie section many moons ago. Since then, I have been just reading the site and haven't posted. Don't want to sound too gloomy but I feel so isolated with my MS, it's getting a bit too much at the moment. In a way, I am surprised that I feel like this now, as I have come a long way in the last few months in learning to live with this. Having been dx in 2003 after beng told in 2001 that I should prepare for it, I should have had long enough to adjust but, luckily compared to some, the effects were limited at first and I had a young baby to care for so I guess I blocked it out a bit. I think that my worsening health has been creeping up onme gradually without really realising it, as I made excuses about being unfit as to why I had pain in my legs when I walked over a few metres / up the stairs and slept so much etc. I read the excellent article on this forum about fatigue a few weeks ago (sorry - not clever enough to post a link!) and so many things clicked into place. Since May this year, my mobility seems to have deteriorated alot and I frequently use a walking stick now, and some times can barely drag myself to walk at all. Not really sure where I am going with this rambling, to be honest.   I think that, as I live alone with my son (who is nearly 7), I often convince myself that my varying symptoms are in my head & it's my own fault for being overweight etc that I don't feel right & that perhaps I milk this condition in order to rest or something (not helped by my poor memory). I think that I block out my symptoms, even as soon as the day after. I am trying to complete the DLA form at the moment and my mind is blank though I know that there is so much I could write. Things have not got better since May and although I could possibly have had another relapse since then, I don't think it's SPMS, it just all fits with severe fatigue. If I don't get alot of rest, when I need it, all sorts of symptoms flair up, but it all seems to ease with rest and sleep (not, of course, the same thing!).   Got an appointment soon with consultant but never find him helpful so don't know if I will even bother telling him about it, to be frank. Get the impression that, if I can walk and talk, he is not much interested. I have friends who try to understand and family, to a lesser degree but, being a lone parent, I don't see them much and when I talk on the phone, why would I talk about this? It's not news, its just an every day thing. So no-one really knows or understands. My son has grown up thinking it's normal, I think, for adults to sleep so much & is used to seeing me with my stick, though he knows why & finds it very funny when I say the wrong words. He feels special because I tell him that I am lucky to have someone who knows what I really mean & can translate for me! I have also explained to him why I am so grumpy sometimes, that it is because of my illness (fatigue to be honest) and not him. He seems fine with that, always accepts my apologies and forgives me. I try very hard to fight it and can, at least, recognise it and apologise as I am snapping at him!   I know that having a partner brings a whole different raft of issues but it would be so nice if someone was here to really see how my life really is and re-assure me sometimes. Think I should really take someone with me to the consultant 'cos I don't have the fight to make them listed, but no-one else knows. Anyhow, sorry for the rant. Don't need any advice, I guess really, just wanted to get stuff off my chest.   Thanks for reading. x

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.