The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Marina

Forum Upgraded - What's New or Changed

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sluggish
Marina

Apologies for the delay in getting the forum open again!

I'm a bit rushed at the moment, but will try to give a list below of what's new or changed although I may forget a few things in my fatigue.

- Avatars. As mentioned in an earlier topic, avatars have been replaced by profile photos. The upgrade was able to convert avatars into photos. BUT... it only converted those avatars that had been previously uploaded to the forum, not those avatars that might have been linked to from elsewhere. So, if your previous avatar wasn't one you uploaded to the forum, then it no longer exists here I'm afraid. If you previously had a profile photo, then that photo will now show in topics in lieu of your avatar. If you previously had an avatar that wasn't uploaded to the forum and had no profile photo, then the default blank face image will show as your photo/avatar.

- Smilies. When typing a post, these now show as a row along the bottom of the editor (typing box). Unfortunately, this means that big or tall smilies get squished into a small size in the row, but they do show as their normal size in a post. I'm afraid you'll have to redo your "Favourite Emoticons" via your Settings though...

- Editor. It now works in the "Fast Reply" box with most formatting features, and includes smilies. You'd only need to go "More Reply Options" if you want to add an attachment or poll, or if you want to be able to preview your post before posting it.

The editor now also saves a copy of what you type as you type. So if you make changes within a minute or so, you can click the little link at the bottom of the editor "View Auto Saved Content", and it will pop up a little window to show you what you typed last. It doesn't, however, save what you typed if you lose the page.

- Moods. Nothing's changed but you'll have to choose these again also, I'm afraid. They're now in the almost invisible icon of a little monkey on the box with your name at the top right of any page. You can also change your mood when in a topic you've posted in, by clicking on your mood.

- Blogs. They've removed the ability to use smilies in comments...

- Status updates and profile comments have been combined into one. Where you enter your status has changed. To enter a status update, you now need to either click "View all Updates" in the sidebar box, or click on your name at the top right of any page (which also gives you more links to various user options), or go to your profile and click the "Profile feed" tab.

- "About Me". May not be in the easiest place to find it to write or edit it. You need to go your Profile (click on your image next to your name in top right) then click the red button that says "Edit my Profile" which will take you to your Settings, or click on Settings, then find the button that says "Edit my About Me page".

- Reputation. Has been replaced with "Like". You now "Like" a post instead of giving it a reputation point.

- Topic Descriptions (which was a 2nd line under the topic title). Has been replaced by Tags. Old descriptions have not been converted into tags. I'll try and do a "Help" topic on tags some time next week when I'm less tired. But for now, you'll see some tags we've already added to topics, as an example. As these tags were pulled in from the database, it's possible they may not actually be that reliable, but any you add to your new topics will be. For now, there's a short description on Tags in the editor when starting a new topic.

- Quotes. A whole new system! Here, you can add any quotes or your own personal sayings or short phrases you like, that sort of thing, which you feel relates either to MS or to you or your life as an MSer. We've added a few from various sources to start you off.

- Subscribing. Is now called "Following". (Heck, what with "Like", what are we now, Facebook?! :lolsign: ). You should also go to your "Settings" and check the "Notifications" tab as some of them may have mysteriously changed.

- Notes in Settings. We had these in the old version but they were removed in newer versions. So I've put it back with an add-on. However, if you previously had any notes in the old Notes tab, I'm afraid that they've probably gone...

- View New Content (top right of all pages). Now has umpteen options of what to view. It's preset to show you new posts you've not read in forums.

There's a few other changes or additions which you'll notice as you go around the forum. I have a feeling I may have forgotten some glaring things though! If so, I'll try to catch up next week as I'm going to RELAX this weekend and may not come online at all till Monday :flowerface:

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Sluggish
Marina

Just a quick note to say that you might have to clear your browser cache and cookies (just for this site, if you're able to), if some things don't seem to quite work or look as they should.

• Like 1

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.