The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Tania B

Interferons do not slow progression

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Christina

This news has been around for some time. I'm on Copaxone and it was also found not to slow progression. I'm still happy to continue though, as I'm feeling better than I was a year ago. I'm able to walk further some days and although I still have major fatigue and neuropathic pain, and legs that dont work well, I haven't needed to resort to steroids for 6 months. So, weighing it up, I'll take improved quality of life any time, and if I'm offered Tysabri I'll take it, as all people I've spoken to who are currently on it are feeling better too.

Edited by Christina

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

happyandy

DMD's in clinical trials have proven to reduce the number of relapses. In most cases, you never quite return to normal after an attack, so by using DMD's, when progression starts it is from a higher base with DMD's than would have been the case without.

So on that basis, DMD's are a worthwhile option.

Incidentally, the term Disease Modifying therefore is still correct because it has a statistically relevant chance of altering the behaviour, if not the starting point, that progression occurs.

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

Sleepy
Scully

Hello,

I know that a majority of replapses will often leave behind some degree of impairment for the sufferer. So, purely on a non-scientific level, if those relapses can be reduced, the chances of further impairment must also be reduced.

I tend to agree with the others on this one.

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Hezza

I certainly wouldn't describe myself as having "pinned my hopes" on DMDs but Rebif seems to be working for me. My relapse rate while on it is definitely lower than my relapse rate pre-Rebif and, as I tend not to completely recover from relapses, that will do me.

Given that no one actually knows for certain exactly how any MSer's MS is going to behave on a day to day basis never mind future progression I don't think it's possible to say conclusively what any of the drugs or treatments will do for any one of us. To my mind, if it's not possible to say conclusively that they are working it's also impossible to say for certain that they're not.

My approach to my own MS is to do whatever I can to keep myself as well as possible. I don't rely solely on taking Rebif I take it in conjunction with a more balanced diet, working less and exercising more. As long as I remain stable and without significant side effects I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

:hearts:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Procrastinating
Stumbler

We're not looking at one hell of an expensive placebo, are we?

Wish I'd thought of that one! :lol:

But, if it works for the people taking it, then it works!

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Tania B

Glad to hear people are doing well.

happyandy

Thanks Tania.

Im so glad I chose interferons rather than go down the " ccsvi" route which seems to be losing credibility with every trial (note todays RSS feed for example)

While I don't criticise Zamboni, I do blame those who sprung up before validation of the theory was carried out. Is the place up north still offering the "treatment' for which I would suggest the only outcome is relieving one of excess cash ?

Andy

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

Bigbird

Andy it appears essential health are still in the game for ccsvi. Trials are being undertaken in Canada I believe. I'm not a believer of it myself but no doubt we'll know more in the future

BB

Life's too short to be subtle

jonwat

Hi.

When discussing disease-modifying drugs, am I the only person who is offended by the fact that the hyphen is usually dropped in the name?

John (currently waiting to start on Avonex)

• Like 1

Tania B

Treatment with interferon beta is closely correlated with a severe disability 15 years later.

In MS treated with interferon beta, early disease activity predicts poor outcome

After 15 years of follow-up, patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis ( RRMS) who display disease activity despite treatment with interferon (IFN)β-1a tend to have unfavorable long-term outcomes, according to research published online Sept. 13 in the Annals of Neurology. http://www. msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseaction/show/pageid/2479

See the link above.

Edited by Tania B