The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
mackers758

weird sensation over body when drying hair

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

mackers758

Hi,

I don't know why but I've just noticed that when I'm drying my hair (quite vigourosly) I'm getting weird tingly sensations all over my body.

I can replicate whenever I rub my scalp.

Has anyone else ever experienced this ?

Steve

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Steve, it might be that when drying your hair, you dip your head forward.

Could it be L'Hermitte's?

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Lurking
PaulX

Could be.

When I used to look down, I got a tingling sensation in my fingers and toes.

It is what initially persuaded me to get it looked into, though it was many years later before they found the reason.

Luckily it doesn't seem to happen now.

Paul

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Steve,

The only thing I can think of is L'hermittes sign as well.

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/lhermitte.jsp

I often get the 'creepy crawly' feeling over my body, especially if I'm tired or have overdone things, but I can't make it start by rubbing my scalp or anything.

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Hezza

Hi Steve,

I do sometimes get weird sensations in a totally different part of my body when I rub another area. I can't remember exactly where but I do know it happens. Like Scully I get a creepy crawly feeling too and often it can feel like the hairs on only half of my head and neck are standing up :crazy: I've never noticed any specific trigger for it though.

:what:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

mackers758

Hi, apologies for the delayed response. I've been kept busy with an appoitment with a neuro.

I also get the creepy crawly feeling all over my body (got it on my scalp rigth now).

Neuro was pretty good this time. Actually listened.

I managed to dig out all my previous hospital numbers from being treated at other hospitals in my days when I lived elseweher.

I actually go to see the report that came back from the MRI I had middle of last year.

It says:

There are numerous small foci of increased FLAIR signal in the cerebral white matter, perhaps more than usually seen in a patient of this age,

And prominent perivascular spaces suggesting early atrophy. Are there any known predisposing conditions or risk factors for small vessel ischaemic change.

I mentioned to neuro that MRI I had in 2009 showed no lesions at all.

Had loads of bloods taken yet again, but at least he's going through the process.

Anyhow back to the matter in hand.

Stumber, when I tip my head forward my vision is terrible, can't read anything and really struggle to see pretty much everything else.

I have experienced the electric shock down back on several occassions before, but this felt differeent.

I have also managed to bang one of my little toes against something (I'm always banging into things) and managed to push my toe into my foot and it's now at least half an inch shorter than the other little toe. Best thing was I didn't even feel that I'd done it at the time.

It was only because I noticed bruising on it that I took more notice.

Steve

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Steve,

I'm pleased that you at least had a good consult with the Neuro. Not sure what to make of the MRI report, it almost sounds as though they are talking about vascular or circulation issues??? My report definitely mentioned demyelination in several areas. What did rhe Neuro say about the report? And what's the next move to be?

I also have a few numb toes and when I stub them on something, I don't feel it either !!! Always an up side huh? lol

Scully

x

"The truth is out there"

mackers758

Scully,

Neuro thoought that it might be something else due to location of lesions.

They then proceeded to test all my heart, blood circulation (even had something recording my heart for 24 hours), Doppler on my neck, but every test came back normal and good.

I didn't realise my toes were numb, I've even experienced similar with my arms, where I've burnt them on hot areas and not noticed.

Guess it's just a case of sittiing around and waiting again.

Steve

SpinDizzy

For years I would feel sensations in my left knee when I combed my hair!

I've always assumed that a few of the nerve fibres in my spinal cord - or maybe in the brain - have 'melted' together and send signals the wrong way.

kizzy

My main symptom is numb side of face and as soon as i dry my hair it sets it off but its the heat that does it and as soon as i cool down it calms down. Try using less heat and see if it helps :) x

Mal

I done a search for this a few days ago and also come with Lhermitte's Signe , I now know what the doctor was trying

to do when asking me to place my chin on my test , but i was actually explaining how i have small like seizures at the time

"really dizzy, cant move and like a buzzing vibration going through my body" does anyone else have this ? and is it also part of

this Lhermitte's or something different altogether ?

Sleepy
Scully

This is the MS Trust definition of L'hermittes sign....

A to Z of MS

L'hermitte's sign

L'hermitte's sign or L'hermitte's syndrome is a sudden sensation resembling an electric shock that passes down the back of the neck and into the spinal column and can radiate out to the fingers and toes. It is usually triggered by flexing the neck, that is, bending your head down, chin towards chest and is sometimes referred to as barber's chair syndrome.

L'hermitte's sign is an example of neuropathic (nerve) pain, which is caused by areas of damage that disrupt how the nerves carry messages within the brain and spinal cord. Sometimes the brain interprets the disrupted messages received from the nerves as pain, even though there is no physical cause of pain.

L'hermitte's sign is rarely treated as the pain is so sharp and sudden that it does not usually last long enough for pain treatments to take effect.

The symptom is named after the French neurologist Jean L'hermitte who published the seminal article on the subject in 1924.

Scully

x

"The truth is out there"