The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
smile

Struggling to get by

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

smile

I am at a loss of how to manage things at the moment, Im waiting for an MRI appointment to come through, but otherwise Im trying to take one day at a time.

Ive had mental health problems for many years now, which I take medication for. I was off work for years. However I managed to get a job and have now been there for over 2 years. I guess Im struggling because, no one at work can see the pain, fatigue Im in. They are aware of anxiety I sometimes have and at times I do need a 5 min break. However I hate asking, because I am not actually entitled to a break (short shifts).

My work are aware Im having tests but that is it. Last week I had to ask for a toilet break, Im literally back to work in a few mins I never take longer than I feel I should, but the real reason I needed a break was because both of my legs were in so much pain (like a deep ache). Then my next shift at work my whole back of head (lower) and neck, plus top of the back were in really bad pain, I tried standing, then sitting, nothing helped,in the end took some painkillers. Im finding at work Im so weak, in pain etc. I cannot take time off work, Ive had two single days off work in 12 months, anymore days off and its a disciplinary.

I cannot even walk to the shops without my legs feeling like they will give way if I dont stop. Ive been getting pains in my head, not like a headache, more pains (different places in the head).

I guess my problem is Im feeling low because Im just not functioning, Ive not been able to exercise, I cant manage a short shift at work without needing a break, which I struggle to ask for.

I saw a GP and they gave me a note for work, saying I can work, but need frequent breaks. I just get the impression no one believes me. Im hoping this note will clear things up.

I have very little people I can talk to about this, i am very stressed about what is happening and what may happen in the future.

• Like 1

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Smile, all the stress and worry this is causing you will only make matters worse.

You need to try and take some of the worry out of your workplace. You have a note from the Doctor and now you need to be completely upfront with your boss and your HR Department.

Let them know that you are under referral to a Neurologist, who is arranging further tests to identify a neurological problem, that maybe MS. I believe your employers are legally obliged to make adjustments to assist you to continue working.

Have a look at this MS Trust brochure, which covers work and the protection you can expect:-

http://mstrust.org.uk/downloads/ms-trust-at-work-with-ms-2012.pdf

OK, we don't know for sure that it's MS, but the protection discussed isn't MS-specific.

Once you are happier with the work situation, you might find that your body starts to relax a bit and some of these pains may retreat.

Hope this helps a little bit.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

suzysue

well said again john my boss at work can't do enough for me she's been great,she can see when i get tired as i end up struggling to walk,keeps telling me to go sit down x

Procrastinating
Stumbler

That's the way it should be.

I went through an awful time of getting over one relapse and I was going to and from work by taxi at their expense. You'd think that was a nice gesture, but I got told it was cheaper to pay the cab fares and get some work out of me, than having me off sick!

It's a team game.........:lol:

• Like 1

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

suzysue

Some bosses i think just dont understand,i get taxis through access to work, i no they miss me when im of as i get on so well with customers they ask for me when im off my boss keeps saying when i leave she will put a sign up saying ive left of my own account haha its only because i make the best coffee :coffee2: x

• Like 1

Hezza

:hugs2: Smile,

It can be so difficult trying to get by at work even with a firm diagnosis so my heart really goes out to you at the moment. The stress that you're under currently certainly won't be helping things along with the strain of trying to keep going at work.

Now that you have the note from your doctor it may be helpful to sit down with your manager and explain your current situation to them. Make it clear that you want to carry on working but there are certain aspects that you are currently struggling with. If you can think of any adjustments that might make things a little easier then suggest them. I don't know the details of your work but if you're on your feet a lot maybe a perching stool might help. Or perhaps some breaks factored into your shift would be helpful.

It a difficult situation but, as you know, no-one can see your symptoms and feel how you are feeling except you. If your body is telling you it needs a break then take it. No one else will notice and make you have that break and listening to the signs early enough often means things settle more quickly than if we ignore them.

Take care and be kind to yourself.

:hearts_circle:

• Like 1

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

smile

Thank you all for the support, just sorry I couldnt reply sooner. Had a pretty bad week emotionally, now come down with something, not what I needed right now, but whenever is there a good time. I have noticed an improvement in my leg whilst walking, but if I do something other than that eg walk upstairs I notice the weekness. I got my appointment through MRI, it is for a few weeks time, the scan is for the brain and all of the spinal cord. Also have to get blood tests done too. Just been struggling mood wise, I am a grumpy person when feeling unwell.

• Like 1

holly

Hi

It is very difficult, when you are at work, because its a employers market, but you are still protected, if you have been with them for 2 years, they have to give you a series of warnings, before making any move, and also you have a doctors note. Before I medically retired, I used to cherry pick what I could do, as it just makes things worse if you push yourselve, I also when feeling fatigued, took a lunch break early, and took myself off to the park, or just away from the work environment, i.e in your car with the seat back listening to the radio. Another thing, I used to do is get some wipes with Aloe Vera, keep them in the fridge,they really hit the spot, and refresh you and give you a second wind. Hope everything goes well for you, chin up, the people on this forum are a lovely bunch of people, (we even have our own victor meldrew only joking)Holly

• Like 1

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Smile,

I'm so sorry that you are still struggling both at work and with the mixed emotions and fatigue.

I do hope the doctors note has helped to allow you to twke some frequent breaks which you clearly need.

Good luck with the MRI, hopefully that will give the neurologist some important information about what's happening with you.

Scully

x

• Like 1

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

smile

Hi again,

Ive got to a point where Im just so fed up. Basically I still am feeling rough. Ive had a cold, but thats not what is troubling me. Going back to just after I was sent to a&e I started to feel nauseous most days and started going off certain foods that I would normally eat. Well the nausea has got worse over the weeks, Im eating lots of plain things, things that are not so good, lots of carbs, white foods. I almost had a panic attack at work because I felt so sick. Since yesteday Ive worked out the only time I dont feel sick and feel better again is if Im laying down. Once I start walking around I feel sick again, Ive been putting off going to the doctors, because Ive seen them so often they are probably fed up with me by now. When your try and explain how hard it is going on as normal well you feel like your going to be sick every two seconds. I have to sit very still to feel ok. Does anyone think it would be worth a visit to a doctor, is there anything that can be done. Ive never felt so rough for that long. Many thanks

• Like 1

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Smile, you're not going to get to the bottom of what's causing this nausea problem if you don't give your GP a chance.

It's causing you enough problems and has been hanging around. That's good enough cause to get to the Doctors.

• Like 1

Sleepy
Scully

Yes, I agree, back to the GP. He isn't going to be fed up with seeing you. Most GP's always say "if it doesn't improve then come back" don't they.

Go back, tell him how it is.....I can't move or lie down without feeling sick. It's possible that your balance is on the wonk, or, it could be an ear problem upsetting your balance, or it could be something like Labyrinthitis, especially if you've had a cold which could make it worse.

The above are only suggestions. Let the GP do his job, and let him know how bad it is.

Scully

x

Edited by Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

smile

Thanks your both right, Ive just seen so many doctors over the last 8 years or so, usually I get ignored or told that its anxiety etc. I never feel taken notice off because of my mental health problems. I do have to go and get it checked though. thanks for the support and encouragement.

holly

h HI I think your body is telling you, and when m.s tells you, you will have no alternative, at the moment it is just giving you a little growl if you carry on, it will show its teeth and you will be on your back. I thing most of us have had something like this, especially in the early days. as we didnt know what to expect, but we sure do now, I took kalms in the beginning, but this takes a while to get into your system, but it does ease So go to the doctor, and try and get some real help.Holly

smileykylie

Hi Smile,

I'm pretty new to this game. Try your hardest to keep positive, I know its very difficult for you at the moment. Go to your GP, its what they are paid for, after all if it weren't for us they wouldnt have a job would they?!

Good luck with the MRI, fingers crossed your appointment will come through soon enough.

Keep your chin up

Smiley Kylie

smile

thanks for the replies, sorry Ive not replied for a while. I had my MRI a few weeks ago, boy was it long. I was due to have a follow up appointment in a month, but a letter the other day saying it had been cancelled and put back by another month. My GP tells me this is probably a good thing, meaning that this means that the MRI was probably normal. I asked if she gets the results before my appointment can she give them to me,but she said if she doesn't understand whats being said she cant. Even if it is normal its a long to be waitng. Then again some people have probably waited a lot longer than that.

My leg is much better, I can still feel a weakness, a weird thing is when I sit on a bus journey, then when I get off, my leg feels weaker when I walk. I just assume its the vibrations from the bottom of the bus.

Ive had a lot of other stress mood wise, plus lots of other issues eg feeling unwell with shooting pain in my shoulder for over a week, hurt to breathe in. Had x-ray it was normal. My GP Im sure has had enough of me and I hate going, they probably think I enjoy it, when infact waiting my turn Im full of anxiety.

Ive also taken a day off from work with stress, I dont want to go back. Ive had enough of it, its so hard going in trying to be 'normal' and ' fine' when inside your in pieces, your so depressed and you feel constantly unwell.

So in reality I probably have nothing wrong and it will another reason for people to not believe I geuninely feel unwell.