The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
derby42

iv steroids and bladder prob

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

derby42

Hello again folks

I had a dose of steroids on Monday and began to feel a bit rotten yesterday. My bladder in particular was causing me trouble, up and down to the loo constantly.

This continued through the night, i was needing to pee all the time and i did actually go, it wasn't just the feeling of needing to go.

Has this got something to do with the steroids? I also had headache all the on Wednesday which is unlike me but its my bladder causing me the most trouble. I also started on tolterodine a week ago.

derby x

Christina

Hi Derby

One of the side effects of steroids is peeing a lot, they have a big effect on your kidneys. You will find it eases off soon. Headaches can also be a side effect, not nice but again, it passes.

Chris x

• Like 1

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Derby,

Well done for getting through the first dose of I've steroids. Yes, some of these side effects can be unpleasant but mercifully, they pass as Chris has said.

The most important thing to try to focus on is that when the infusions are completed, the side effects have passed, and you've had a few weeks rest following these huge doses. You will begin to feel better, the current replace has been helped on its way into the ether, and, if you rest as prescribed following the course, you will pick up again and feel better.

Thinking of you.

Scully

x

• Like 1

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

derby42

Thanks to you both.

Any idea how long this peeing thing will last? Its a relief that its down to the steroids but Im feeling crap and not sleeping isn't helping.

Up and down to the loo is bad enough in the day but all night too is draining. Should i be drinking more? Im not drinking because it seems to go straight through me.

Edited by derby42

derby x

Christina

No need to drink excessively Derby. Just keep to your normal amount. You will find you will lose a few pounds too, as the steroids can cause diuresis. This peeing will last as long as you're on them, and then maybe a day after you finish, then it should revert to your normal pattern. Not sleeping and feeling generally crap is also usually a side effect I'm afraid. Steroids are a mixed blessing aren't they? Pain, hopefully with some gain in a wee while (no pun intended!).

Keep persevering!

Chris x

derby42

Thanks Chris.

I only had one dose though, on Monday and then this began yesterday. I have 2 more next week. They couldn't fit me in for 3 consecutive days. The only reason Im not sleeping is the frequent toilet trips. Its all come at once this week though, period lack of sleep and peeing.

As you say, no pain. .

derby x

derby42

Can i ask also about getting infection at this time? What about coughs and colds? My 8 year old has a cough at the moment, should i avoid him?

Thanks for your help.

derby x

Christina

It's really hard to avoid coughs and colds, especially from family members Derby. In theory it would be better not to catch it, especially when you're on steroids, but mostly viruses are caught from touching things infected people have touched. Some antibacterial hand gel might help, and some Dettol spray for door handles, taps etc. Anything, you and your son touch, really.

Chris x

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Bladder urgency

Hi there, im struggling to get much enjoyment out of life as I can't go anywhere without a toilet. Would love to go for walks, to gigs etc. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anything help?   Rachey

in General Discussion about MS

• Speaking of steroids...

Am having real difficulty with taking the steroids. They aren't coated and start dissolving in the mouth before you can swallow them - the taste is unbelievably foul. Day 1, I eventually managed to swallow all 5 pills but vomited afterwards and felt ill for the rest of the day. Day 2, I only managed to get 1 out of 5 tablets down. I don't think I'm going to be able to finish the course. Wimp.

• Oh the highs and lows...of steroids!

Hello Everybody,   Well, the 'silly season ' is almost upon us..I have 8 grandchildren to buy for, plus the added bonus of some 6 birthdays all through December....so my Amazon driver is visiting daily, with armfuls of packages, for which I am eternally grateful.   Talking of grandchildren...I picked up the usual cold from the ankle biters a few weeks ago...cold tunred nasty, very nasty, resulting in sinusitis ( ouch ) and a deep chest infection.and very high temps...I struggled on, using Vick, flu capsules and the like....till I could cope no more....mainly because I could also barely walk, and most definitely no stairs....   Saw the GP! Who went nuts, coz I left it too long...and left his office with penicillin and a huge course of steroids, to shift the infections, and to give the MS a swift kick..   Well....the first dose of steroids found my head swimming, balance gone....and generally felt I'd been hit by a truck....next day, felt much better, by the third I was a veritable superwoman....not much sleep so spent many of the wee hours, working though my birthday and Christmas lists and ordering the lot! Written Christmas cards....and have almost been marching round the house !   Sinus and chest infection have almost given up and cleared off......but I know, as we all do, that come Tuesday or Wednesday.....the crash and burn will arrive...albeit briefly.....but hey....Christmas and birthdays are all organised....   As the title says....the highs and the lows of steroid treatment!   Scully x

• steroids again?

Hi all Sorry I've not been around much but I've been really awful. I only had oral steroids about 5 weeks ago and initially they worked. They got meon my feet and walking albeit terribly but over the last 3 weeks I feel shocking again, walking is worse by the day and my speech is really really slurred, worsening as the day goes on. Is it possible to have more steroids so soon? My consultant said that we could discuss tysabri when I see him again, his suggestion, but I'm scared that this seeming relapse so soon after the last one night go against me. I will be seeing him tomorrow, I'm very worried because I'm on holiday next week.

• steroids,temp inprovements ?

last day today ,of a 4 day course,of high dose steriods.Yesterday i managed to stand for 2 secs UNAIDED !!! first time in three weeks.could this be a temp improvement because of steriods ? or is this the kick start my body needed ? iam really pleased ,excited,about standing unaided ,only for 2 secs ,but its a start tho isnt it ? ms nurse has said there is no gurantees with steriods,..she cant tell me if i will ever walk again tho.. tc xx

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.