The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
dawney-t

Dawn

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

dawney-t

Hi

My name is Dawn and I was diagnosed with MS in May this year and told it was PPMSon 5th July so I'm quite new to MS although I'd been having symptoms since December 2002 and had a rough idea what it was.

I am 42 years old (seems to be the right age group for PPMS), married with three children aged 11, 9 and 6.

I am currently on a career break from my job in the Civil Service due to the fact that my 6 year old is mentally and physically disabled and my 11 year old was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 7, though I'm pleased to say, is currently in remission. My husband was full-time carer for them until he had a stroke in October 2002, at which time I took a 5 year career break. Needless to say when my symptoms began in December 2002 my GP put it all down to stress etc and I was happy to go along with that. As time went by and the symptoms got worse my GP decided to refer me to a neurologist. To cut a long story short, I had a VEP and MRI brain scan, both showing demyelination and got my diagnosis shortly afterwards :crying: . Of course, I'm now unsure about whether I'll be able to return to my job when my career break is over, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Too much else to think about for now. I do wonder though, whether the stress of my life events could have triggered the MS. I know this is a theory in some minds.

Anyway, thats enough about me for now. Hope to see many others join this forum.

Love Dawn x :crutch:

MS diagnosed May 2004, PPMS diagnosed July 2004

crispy

Hi Dawn, it's good to hear from you :D

I have just woken up from a doze in front of the TV, so apologies for not responding earlier. I've no idea whether stress can be considered a trigger for MS, but reading your story, certainly makes you wonder.

I hope that things are beginning to improve for your family, and that you manage to find added strength from the warmth you will no doubt generate from this board.

Keep on smiling through,

Chris P :crutch:

................................ :dog: ........................................

All the best,

Chris P

Steve

Hi Dawn,

You certainly haven't had an easy time of it.

Having children myself I can "imagine" how you must be feeling, I've also had a stroke (MS related .. 19 years ago in my mid twenties).

I believe MS relapses can be triggered by stress although there is no medical advice that I've ever seen that substantiates this however as to whether stress can bring on MS ... I really have no idea.

As to using the forum regularly ... I find difficult as too much information is given, I rarely access Web sites for this very same reason, I am what you might call a computer illiterate ... new technology is great but learning how to use gives me problems ... age/laziness/MS (cognitive).

Are you a member of the MS group list ? I suppose you must be to be a member here ? I don't recall seeing any mails from you.

Must dash, wife home in a few mins

Good luck and best wishes

Steve

dawney-t

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply. It must have been pretty frightening for you to have a stroke so young. I assume as you say it was MS related you've obviously had MS for a very long time. Is it relapsing/remitting that you have?

Excuse my ignorance but what is the MS group? Is it to do with this site. I only joined up to this site yesterday so still finding my way around.

I too suffer from terrible cognitive problems. In fact as I typed the first sentence of this reply, I just sat here for ages trying to remember what I was going to say!! :crutch: :wallbash:

Anyway, good to hear from you.

Love Dawn x

Sluggish
Marina
Excuse my ignorance but what is the MS group? Is it to do with this site.

Hi Dawn and a belated Welcome to our Forum!

Sounds like you and your family have certainly had your fair share of health worries... I do hope things start to improve for you in one way or another.

Re your question about the "MS Group" that Steve mentioned - it's a support mailing list http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/mspeople_uk for MS sufferers that I help moderate. I initially started this Forum (which also acts as a sort of website) for the list members, which is why the majority of current Forum members are also mailing list members. It's a place where the list members can come chat with each other about allsorts, upload their bios, upload photos, post links, post informative items, and can also share their stories, have fun, plus more. We tend to "do" all of our support "stuff" via the mailing list, so this is somewhere else for them to come to for other more "social" stuff. Having said that, the Forum is not restricted purely to mailing list members - all MS sufferers, their friends, family, supporters and those interested in MS are welcome to come to and join us on the Forum too :D

Once again, welcome, and I hope you'll meet some new MS friends here :handinhand:

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

dawney-t

Hi Marina :clapping:

Not too sure if you're gonna see this message as it replies to one of so long ago, but didn't know where best to ask this.

Can I please have a photo album section?

Hope you are keeping as well as can be expected.

Love Dawn x

Sluggish
Marina
Can I please have a photo album section?

Hi Dawn

Will set you one up now (sorry for the delay!).

:crutch:

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

dawney-t

Thanks very much Marina :lol: You're a star :crutch:

I will start rooting through my CDs to find some suitable pics to post :bye:

Best wishes to you

Dawn