The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Larisa

Describing MS to people who dont have MS

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Larisa

I read this recently and thought it describes MS in a really good way. If you owned a home and one day you noticed the kitchen light didn’t come on as quickly as normal, or would periodically flicker but, then one day it came on and was fine. Then two days later you noticed the living room light didn’t come on when you flipped the switch the first time, but after several attempts it seemed fine. Then the kitchen light didn’t work again, and the door bell didn’t always work. Over a period of time you notice that all the electrical outlets seemed “hinky” and not quite right. After several months or years you realize that all things electrical in your home just weren’t working the way they were when you first moved in or had the house built.

So finally you call an electrician and he discovers that mice have gotten in you your walls and chewed at all the wiring; little bites here and there. Some wires were completely bitten through leading to this or that outlet to be completely useless. Other wires just had little bites leading to intermittent usage, sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. And other wires were not affected at all.

So you call an exterminator and he gets rid of the mice and then you have the electrician rewire your home and everything is good and working again.

With MS the house is your body and the electrical wires are the nerves that go from your brain to the various parts of your body and the mice are your immune system.

There are drugs that can help stop the immune system from attacking the nerves and causing MORE damage, but whatever damage is done, you have to learn to live with. There is no way to rewire the system.

We have to have patience for people living with MS, because they are never quite sure when the outlets (arms, legs, eyes, ears etc) are going to work properly and when they are not. Imagine for a moment living in a house and never knowing for sure which electrical outlets worked and which did not. Imagine having the television quit or get messed up in the middle of your favorite show, or all the lights flicker or go out for no apparent reason. Imagine the frustration of knowing there is no cure, no rewiring, and no way of knowing when things will work properly and when they will not. Imagine the house looks fine, perfectly normal. Every individual outlet functions perfectly on its own and if there were a way to rewire them they would be perfectly normal. But there is no way to rewire them and they are stuck living in this home, their bodies, with all the broken wires, hoping and praying that no further damage will be done :xmasstocking:

• Like 11

Procrastinating
Stumbler

A good analogy.

So, can anyone recommend a good electrician for me? :lol:

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

lee P

Saw this on Facebook and thought it was excellent.

Lurking
PaulX

I could do with a plumber as well. lol

• Like 1

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

Sluggish
Marina

I'll move this to our "Survivor's Guide to MS" as it's worthy of it and fits in well :flowerface:

• Like 1

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Crafty Cow

My sister in law to be is polish, and having never even heard of MS and having a slight language barrier this analogy would have been great. Having taken ages to try and explain what happens with MS I felt like hanging myself, especially with the reply I got...".ooooh you will get better its probably just a virus or something"...to which I replied under duress...yeahhhh probably. ;-)

Follow me, you can follow me....and I, I will not desert you..............

Nick

There is always an Answer, see here: http://oscos2.bmc-ics.com/mss2/images/productpreviews/What%20is%20MS%20Polish%201208%20-%20web.pdf

this is an MS Society booklet 'What is MS' in Polish.

If you go here: http://oscos2.bmc-ics.com/mss2/public/public_stock.php?searchid=dmlld2FsbA==

you can download many other booklets in different languages about MS

Nick

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

Just another Warrior...........

Crafty Cow

Perfect, thanks Nick, that's great! :-)

Follow me, you can follow me....and I, I will not desert you..............

Vagrant

This description is outstanding.

Thanks

Tabbycat

I like this very much - especially how good the house looks from the outside!