The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Ruby Red

Medication, Free, Alternatives to Medication .. Curious

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

Ruby Red

I usually refer to my self as drug free, as with having got to the stage in my MS most of my disablitys outway the MS thesedays BUT I still believe in Multivitems, good diet, perstien sytem for bowls and meditation etc so Im not really drug free just maybe pharmasoutical free.

I seldom meet people who are drug free with MS and those that say they are usually find help in alternative therapys or herbal.

So Im now curious as to people if they feel there, shall we say pharmasoutical free what they do to controll or help symptoms ?

Has anyone come off the tablets etc and found really there MS is no diffrent than when they were on the medication?

excuse any spelling my voice is croaky and voice software is driving me potty.

Merry Christmas to All

Hugs Aims x

Edited by Ruby Red

Heste

Hi,

I am primary progressive so there are not many drugs available for me. I am drug free. Those that I have been offered seem to have side effects that are worse than the symptoms I suffer from.

I have chronic pain but I prefer to live with it rather then live on painkillers for ever. Living with pain allows you to get so used to it that it becomes the norm.

Fatigue is another problem for me but the drugs offered didn't work for me. Fatigue is harder to get used to. I live with it but all I can do to prevent it is to stop doing stuff.

I use meditation techniques for the pain but this doesn't actually stop it. It just changes how you think about it and that makes it better.

Regards

John :cowboy:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Medication advice, rebif, for newly diagnosed

Two weeks ago the diagnosis came through. After months of tests and being told different diagnosis (including that it could be in my head) part of me was, dare I say it, relieved.   Now though, reality has set in and I am trying to face it, but I'm really struggling. Every time I sit down to research it, I last around five minutes before shutting down the computer and crying.   Aside from that, my biggest decision is revolving around what DMD to go on. I have talked with my neurologist and she is talking about putting meon Rebif. Although she is a great support, I have been given so many leaflets and so much information that its just a complete overload! But she really is pushing rebif, and to be honest I do like the sound of the rebismart machine, if I have to use a needle everyday, I really don't want to have to see it.   If anyone could provide me with any advice or help I would really appreciate it. Is anyone on rebif? Or used to be ?   Thank you.

in General Discussion about MS

• Medication for spms

Hello everyone! I need a good rant so reckon I can get away with that here....Well we all know that officially there is no treatment for spms and the lines labs tend to trot out (more tests needed) wear a bit thin when you get to my age. So I've kept my ear to the ground, and asked for referral to neurologist. Upshot is that with his approval I've been taking high dose simvastatin (80mg) and continued with HRT (tibolone). This seemed a reasonable strategy given the phase 2 trials (UCLH) which indicated that the high dose statin MAY slow down brain atrophy; plus it reduces the risk of strokes etc when taking HRT (over 10 years now). All fine, then last week American scientists' results suggest that prolonged use of statin s may interfere with the activity of stem cells and may cause accelerated aging! Oh, what to do! With ms we're already combatting tiredness and slowness. I've halved my statin to 40 mg but perhaps I should phase both this and HRT out now. I next see the neuro in December. I know the GPs and ms nurse wouldn't have an opinion. I know I'm asking questions no one can answer, but I just don't know what to do!!! Thanks for the rant. or that kind of thing... Jill xx

• why did they take me off medication

I was taken off my medication 2 yrs ago every one i have talked to is on medication my doc told me it was not doing anything so took me off i feel like my ms has got worse since. I have not ad a hospital appointment for over 18 months now i dont no y. my legs have got so much worse over time its like they have cramp all the time and stabbing pains also my hips seem to burn i dont no what to do as i have no one to talk to i have baclofen which dont seem to help what should i do

• [SURVEY] What medication are you taking and for what symptoms?

What medication are you all taking and for what symptoms? Are they actually working for you?   I am taking :   Baclofen = Spasms, I found they took a while to start working and i have had to have maximum dose to get any benifit out of them but yes they are helping me loads..   Deazepam= spasms and anxiety, I started on a high dose when all my symptoms started but ive managed to come off them and just take these when my symptoms flare up.. yes they do work but wouldnt want to become reliant on them..   Tramodol= for the pain, they work great for me as they are the only pain killer that actually work when pain gets really bad.   Antibiotics= perminant for bladder/kidney infections   Sleeping pills as required ....

in A Survivor's Guide to Multiple Sclerosis

• Curious rrms vs spms

I am just a bit curious, so if I can pick your brains, so to speak.   I read all your posts, those of you who suffer from rrrms and those who have progressed, and I just had a question. For those who knowing had rrms and have since progressed, do you still have relapses like in rrms, or is it just a case of feeling ok one day and rubbish the next? I just wondered what the difference is for you.   Sorry for being nosey, but I just want to understand this more if possible.   Sam x

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.