The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
derby42

whats worse eh?

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

derby42

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all ok.

I have a problem and Im now sure why but i think its got something to do with the tolteradol Im on for my bladder. I was feeling the need too often and they gave me this.

I've. been on it a couple of months now and the horrid feeling doesn't bother me much now and i sleep well.

The problem is, i am now feeling like Im leaking urine and i have a vaginal discharge that is contributing to this feeling so be honest i dont know if Im leaking or its heavy discharge but i feel very very disgusting.

Do you think it IS the medication because Im wondering if the dose could be reduced and still be effective?

Dont know if this constant feeling of leaking is worse than constantly needing to pee.

Im also frightened that Im about to lose control of my bladder altogether.

I've now just had to call nhs direct cos of palpitations. I've had them for three nights now, they start about 7pm and continue until i go to sleep. I think these are linked to the tablets too.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by derby42

derby x

Lurking
PaulX

Hi,

Sorry to hear things are not so good at the moment.

I can't really comment, I don't have the same equipment as you but I do know about the feeling you want to pee all the time. Also that double pee, just to make sure you got it all.

I do hope someone can offer you some better advice.

Take care,

Paul

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

derby42

Thanks Paul.

i appreciate your reply anyway. Somehow just being able to share with folks who at least have odd experiences themselves makes it a bit easier eh?

derby x

Ruby Red

Hi Derby

Short answer " YES "

When i used it many years ago I had discharge, Doctor explained studies had shown one of the side effect was discharge in MS suffers. Another big problem was with me it caused urinary infection due to bladder not flushing correctly which in turn brought on vomiting.

Im pretty sure under side effect it not recomended for people with MS but dont hold me to that it was several years ago.

Best thing tell your GP your not happy with it and try another one. I found Oxybutynin was good when built up slowly.

Thats the one thing Docturs and MS nurses never tell you about .. the Embarrassment factor.

Hugs Aims x

Edited by Ruby Red

Procrastinating
Stumbler

"Neurogenic Bladder" can be a right pain.

On the one hand, you've got the frequency/urgency problem. And on the other hand, you have a retention problem, where the bladder never fully empties, which aggravates the frequency/urgency problems.

Now, you can take an anticholinergic, e.g. Oxybutynin, Detrusitol, Vesicare etc. This will try and relax the bladder to avoid the frequency/urgency problem. But, as already suggested, they're not really recommended for Neurogenic Bladders, as it compounds the retention problem!

I try and manage this bladder problem by taking an anticholinergic, to try and give me some peace, whilst also practising Intermittent Self-catheteriation to address the retention problem.

It's not an ideal solution, but does give you periods where you can relax.

Keep talking to your incontinence advisors for a solution that works for you.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Tania B

Have you tried Vesicare (solifenicin succinate)? Prhaps a different drug may be better for you at the right dose.

Wishing you well!

T

derby42

Thanks for your replies everyone. Yes Im going back to the continence team with this i think plus my gp. I feel disgusting.

Edited by derby42

derby x

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Derby,

Sorry your bladder is acting up on the medication you have been given. Bladder problems can be really difficult to manage sometimes. I rely on intermittent self catheterisation to keep my bladder empty and more comfortable. Its useful too if I know I'm going to be out or in the car for sometime. I can empty my bladder before I go out and know I'll be OK for a while.

Let us know how you get on with the continence team and GP. Medications suit some people and not others so it may well be worth trying a different med if this one has unpleasant side effects for you.

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

derby42

Hi again everyone,

I saw the gp and he told me to stay off the tolterodine at the moment because of the palpitations, he's arranging blood tests and a heart trace. Sorry I've not been on its just that i had no news really, just have to wait and see what the outcome is.

derby x

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Derby, see if you can get a referral to a Urologist.

Urine retention can put pressure on your kidneys, which in turn put pressure on your heart.

A Urologist will give your Urology a health check before determining what is wrong and what impact the MS is having.

You shouldn't really be using these anticholinergics if you're retaining, unless you're self-cath'ing as well on a regular basis.

• Like 1

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

derby42

Bloody hell John, that sounds a little serious. I will ask my gp to refer me.

When i saw the continence nurse though she said i wasn't retaining much. My palpitations have settled quite a bit though since i stopped the med so i think your suggestion is something to be followed up.

Thanks

derby x

derby42

Sorry tanya, i only just saw your post, no I've tried nothing other than what Im on.

Edited by derby42

derby x

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Derby, it wasn't my intention to scare you. Any serious problem in that way should be picked up on a blood test, that shows a reading for your kidney function.

But, it always best to ensure that there are no other problems, apart from the MS.

:moonieman:

• Like 1

derby42

Aww John,

you didn't scare me. Lol, no fear of that, i could expand but i wouldn't want to depress anyone!

I will get checked be assured but dont think you've scared me please.

derby x