The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
smile

back with new concerns

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

smile

I know I left the board last month, but things have got worse and im finding it hard to function.ive now been having bad head pains for the last 5 weeks,I've no energy,also have a weakness in my face,meaning I can't smile onon side of face.I've been to 4 different GPs,also seen a neurologist who said nothing is wrong,my head hurts to touch,pain comes and goes,but it has been there everyday for the last 5 weeks.its another waiting game.ive been comfort eating,just sleeping and no exercise.has anyone experienced this type of head pain or facial weakness with me.ive been told there is prob nothing medically wrong.

Nick

Hi Smile,

Sounds like you are having a tough time! It's difficult to answer your questions. With MS there are so many differing symptoms and different people experience differing aches and pains. Even where people do have a firm diagnosis of MS it is all to easy to attribute everything to their MS something that is not helpful.

The only advice would be that clearly as you do have a problem you need to go back again to the GP! Many of us on the forum have had the experience of 'difficulty' with their GP, however it is well worth persevering. The more accurate information you can provide the better, sometimes it's good if you can take somebody else along who knows you very well. Partners for example will often point out something that you may feel was unimportant. It can be hard going and you are not alone in feeling frustrated over it all.

Hope that is a little helpful for you

Nick

Edited by Nick

Just another Warrior...........

kizzy

Hi , i saw your post and just had to answer i am diagnosed but have exactly the same symptoms as you , I get shooting pains in my head and also my face is ever so slightly dropped to One side not that bad that anyone would notice unless i pointed it out and feels numb right in the corner . I was told by my neuro that my numb mouth is my ms and the shooting pains are signals that are misfiring probably due to damage from the ms. However migraines Can also cause the exact same symptoms aswell including dropping of the mouth. I hope you get some help soon, Tracy x x

smile

thanks for the responses, I guess Im a bit frustrated. Ive been told that because my MRI taken 3 months back was fine, that nothing would be different since then, that if I wanted another scan it wouldn't be for medical purposes, but to aleviate my anxieties. They cannot suggest a scan, because there is no medical basis for it. Ive heard back that another request for a neurology appointment has been made, but I am not convinced they will see me. With my mouth weakness, it is if obvious if I point it out, but got told by doctor at hospital there is no weakness and in discharge paper it says "she thinks her leg and mouth are 'weak' ". Its because my mouth is able to function eg chew, speak, whistle etc. On top of that, Ive been having leakage of the bladder at times, Ive not felt like I needed to go, but when I have gone to the toilet, Ive noticed wetness, Ive had to change during the day at times. It doesnt always happen. Once again it was dismissed as "I wouldnt know whats causing that".Thanks for listening, Ive hardly anyone to sound off from, because sadly hardly any of my symptoms are physical, so its "all in the head" so to speak.

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Smile, keep a record of all these symptoms with the date. Just summary details so that it's clear and concise.

The Neuro has only a couple of tools to help him diagnose a condition, so what you can tell him is all part of the jigsaw, which they are trying to solve.

And, take a copy of the list of symptoms, so they can keep it on your file.

Try not to stress/worry too much (I know, who am I kidding!) as this makes things worse.

:moonieman:.

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Great Dane

Hi Smile

I too have a lopsided smile, but the side of my face that droops is the side that feels normal. The side that is more animated feels like someone is gently pulling my cheek down ie a bit heavy- it is really weird, but again only people close to me have noticed it. It started when I at the same time was experiencing problems with my eye.

The function as such is completely normal and I can chew, whistle the lot, it only feels weird and gives me a lopsided smile which if I think about it - can compensate for.

Hope you get sorted out. Stumbler has given you some very good advice regarding keeping a record of symptoms.

Great Dane

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Smile,

You poor thing, you certainly seem to being going through a tough time right now.

As your scan was clear the neurologists are unable to give you a diagnosis of MS right now, but it is important that they keep on trying to figure out what is going on with you.

It can be a long and hard road to finding out what the problems are. Definitely keep a record of when and for how long these troublesome symptoms occur and do try to twke someone along to your next appointment if you can.

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• how do I make the gp listen to my concerns?

Hi AGAIN,   This is my second home just now. The thing is, I'm seeing a GP at my surgery next week and I really, really want her to listen to my concerns. It might sound a daft question, but what is the best approach?   I'm naturally quite a reserved person, and I don't think I fight my corner too well. I now know I REALLY have to; I'm not getting any better - so many awful, random symptoms that I need to get to the bottom of - I can't stand the thought of being sent away with pills to mask my symptoms again!!!!   Should I take my husband? I've taken lists of symptoms in the past, and the GP has looked at me like I'm being overly paranoid and suggested I go on anxiety medication. I feel I never really get listened to. Where am I going wrong???   Please help. Jan.

in General Discussion about MS

• Glad to have found somewhere i can discuss my concerns

Hi all, my names Bec and i'm a 40 year old married mum of 3 teenagers. I was admitted to hospital this year with right hand and arm numbness as well as weakness in the whole of my right side. All the results came back clear and i left hospital thinking it was "just one of those things". I went back to work after two weeks and within another two weeks my right shin and foot had gone numb, i was exhausted all of the time and my memory and word recall mid conversation was very noticable and embarrassing. An emergency visit to my GP resulted in me being signed off work and told not to drive. That same weekend i struggled with walking and couldn't manage the stairs, my son and husband carried me to bed :(. Since then i've developed severe dizziness, sickness and nausea and feel like i'm walking in quicksand. I have an appointment with the neurologist on the 28th of this month and have spent alot of time researching MS and do feel i have in the past or recently displayed most of the symptoms and have written a daily diary and a prior symptoms list going back at least 10 years. The last thing i want the neurologist to think is that i've self diagnosed and sound like a hypochondriac! I'm having a bad time at the moment accepting all of this and so are my family. Any help and advice on what to ask the neurologist and how to approach my "self diagnosis" will be greatly appreciated. :)

• Newby with alot of concerns

Hi :)   My name is Ally and I am from North Yorkshire. I am 43 and live alone and getting more than a little concerned that I might be diagnosed with MS.   About a year ago I started getting very severe headaches that lasted 3-5 days at a time, my eyesight also deteriorated....but I just lived with it and carried on as best I could.   Two months ago I went to the opticians as things were getting intolerable and I was getting pretty fed up with it, I assumed (like you do) that my eyes needed testing.   Anyway, cutting a long story very short, I went to optician, he did the usual tests, scratched his head and told me he needed to contact my GP. Next thing I know, I get a call from GP saying she had referred me to neurologist, two weeks later appointment arrives and off I go. He does checks etc asks questions and completely baffles me with science. He asked me to stand with eyes closed and I fell over to the right. He books me for MRI and to see neuro opthalmologist (sp).   Had the MRI and got a weird letter from him...     I do not understand a word of that.   Last Friday I saw the neuro opthalmologist, he did lots of checks and tests...I am VERY light sensitive, I cannot discern shapes when looking at the colour blind tests but can tell colours (albeit they are mushed together) and my eyes really really hurt like red hot pokers stuck into them.   The neuro opthalmologist is arranging more tests including the visual evoke one? and also a biopsy of the artery at the side of my face and one that shows up the veins etc on a scan of my head and neck.   This has sent me into a complete tailspin as I did overhear the neuro opthalmologist mention to his colleague 'hmmmm...MS?'   Sorry for the huge length of my first post, but the imagination is now running riot  

• Some small concerns

Been a while since I last popped in. Been busy with my course and family issues, and under the belief that everything was actually going okay. Well okay so my eyes kept putting distance between themselves, but hey I could deal with that, mostly because I didn't notice it.   'Course, because I haven't been thinking about it, I've been perfectly happy getting on with my life, sans my parents reminding me to get on the injections. Well to do that I'd need to get some anti-depressants, and finding a good doctor round here hasn't been easy. Hopefully I'm a small step closer, now, with one round the corner, and now Uni's out I'm not likely to miss any appointments.   This is all trivial and space-filling. I'll get to the point.   A couple months ago, I went into A&E. My chest hurt. BAD. I'd just come out of work, and started walking home, only to stop because breathing in was becoming difficult. Went in, had tests... They couldn't find the answer. Though saying that, they were looking at my heart after dismissing the lungs. I went in for another test on my heart, it's fine. I was expecting that.   But the pains haven't stopped, and in certain circumstances can be just as bad. Right in the center of my chest, sometimes worse when I move my arms out... Its horrible.   My family have taken a look at certain records, and apparently this can be a symptom of MS in rare cases... Not nice.   But is it really? Is this really a symptom I should be aware of or should I take myself back up to the hospital for tests for something else?

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.