The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Trellis

Intrathecal Baclofen

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Trellis

I've been on Baclofen for 30 years now and am not even sure it's even working now, having become complacent in some ways. I suffer spasms during the night whenever I wake which is not nice for my partner as the bed then shakes with me! My legs are very, very stiff and heavy and go into spasm when they're handled by my partner or carers when I need shoes on for example. I am considering having a BACLOFEN PUMP inserted and wondered what other MS ers experiences were with this?

shepp

I'd never heard of a baclofen pump until i was in hospital just before xmas when another patient came in to have a baclofen pump removed after being mugged while in his wheelchair, anyway I've spoken to him since he's come out of hosp all went well with the op and he's going back to hosp on 20th feb to have a new pump fitted and he says he can't wait, says that the way the pump delivers the medication is far superior than taking the baclofen oraly. hope this helps a little

Tony

• Like 2

Trellis

Thanks for that Tony.

I must admit though that it's got me wondering why he had to have the pump removed after his very sad experience.

Reports of the pump that I read on the internet are favourable but it's the operation that fazes me - wimp that I am!

Carol

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Carol,

I've no experience of a Baclofen pump at all, although I do know of one person in our local MS Group who has one.

I sincerely hope that having the pump fitted is a simple procedure for you and that you get much relief from your troublesome spasms.

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

shepp

Thanks for that Tony.

I must admit though that it's got me wondering why he had to have the pump removed after his very sad experience.

Reports of the pump that I read on the internet are favourable but it's the operation that fazes me - wimp that I am!

Carol

Hi-ya Carol the reason he had the pump removed was that the pump was disloged during the mugging

Bigbird

Having a pump fitted isn't a simple procedure initially. My rehab consultant said he only recommends it when nothing else works. He said however that his brother had one and thought it was great. However I met a woman when I was in hospital about 18 months ago and tho she found benefits from it she dreaded having the reservoir filled. my understanding was that this was only injected through the skin. Mind you I dread my botox injections and they are only through the skin. And they are happening in Thursday, dread dread.

Guess if you think it might be helpful it's worth discussing with your MS team.

Life's too short to be subtle

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Baclofen on a PAYG Basis

I have previously been on Baclofen, taking it the recommended 3 times a day.
      It proved to be problematic, with some unwanted side effects. Side effects I couldn't live with. Wind on a few years and I at the point I really do need something for the spasticity and it is affecting my sleep and making the fatigue much worse. I have spoken with my MS nurse and she has suggested taking Baclofen on an as needed basis rather then religiously taking it 3 times a day. Has any one else tired this and has it worked?
      Has it helped get round the side effects problem? I must admit I am a bit sceptical, but prepared to give it a go, nothing to lose by it. Paul

in General Discussion about MS

• Baclofen Withdrawal

I had be persuaded to give Baclofen another go. I tried it in 2014 and didn't get on with it. Since then I have moved, different health authority, different MS nurse. Since pregabalin didn't cause the same problems when i was previously on it, I figured that perhaps baclofen would be better behaved. Wrong. I have had quite an unpleasant month or so, with no sign of me adapting to it. Admittedly it did have some benefits. It did seem to take a bit of the spasticity from my legs, letting me sleep a bit better. Though if any thing I became more tired.  And dizzy. I suffer from dizziness as it is, but this is getting beyond a joke. It also seemed to have a positive effect on a bit of ED that was beginning to occur. Even allowing for those two benefits, it really has diminished my quality of life.    So I have decided to stop with the baclofen and hopefully regain some of the energy and perhaps reset back to how things were a few months ago. I am expecting a bit of a backlash, but hopefully not too severe or long lasting.   Paul

• the pros and cons to a Baclofen pump

If anyone is considering having a Baclofen pump implanted, I am on my second pump after 6 years on the first one.  I can tell you all my experiences - the good and the bad and the ugly - which might help you make the best decision decision

• Does Baclofen help with muscle aches? If not, what does?

Good afternoon everyone. I started on my copaxone last August and have felt so well since I wished I had done it earlier. At my previous rate I should have had two relapses since then but I am relapse free and life feels good But, I am getting increasing pain in both legs and, sometimes my arms. The muscles feel weak and without strength - for example when I was doing my daughter's hair the other day I had to keep lowering my arms due to pain. My walking is now affected and the muscles hurt at rest. They are particularly bad when I first wake up. They feel stuff and achy but not really "spastic" if you know what I mean. The MS nurse suggested baclofen and my GP has prescribed it but I wondered if anyone had had similar symptoms to these and if the baclofen (or anything else) worked. Any words of wisdom would he gratefully received. Thanks, Sam

• baclofen pump

hi I've just been put on a waiting list for a baclofen pump.. has anyone had one? what's your experience been.

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.