The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
jillart

Temperature control

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

jillart

Hello everyone, it's a very long time since I've been on here but I've got a curious question to ask you.

I seem to be having trouble controlling my temperature. I get very cold and my fingers go prune like, but then I suddenly go hot and sometimes sweat. It doesn't always come over me in a wave so I am not sure about putting it down to menopause, it can be quite sudden. Then I can go cold again.

Does anyone else suffer from this and do you know if it is MS related.

Thanks.

Jill.

Life has become abstract

Jill (aka Smudge)

Lindylou

Hi Jill,

I have the same problem and am also going through the menopause. I think some of it is caused by the menopause but I don`t think it`s the only culprit.

I take Tramadol and one of the side effects says sweating, so I think that may be causing some of my hot & cold sweats. It may be worth checking the side effects of any medication

you`re on just in case it could be that making your sweats worse.

I`m not sure if MS can cause hot/cold sweats or not but I know I used to get them long before I was going through the menopause, so it makes you wonder doesn`t it?

Linda x

shepp

Hi all I get the same thing not due to menopause i hope, one moment sitting in the living room freezing my bits off so put fire on and within the hour coming over all faint just like been sat in a sauna for a couple of hours just seem unable control body temp.

Tony

Edited by shepp

Procrastinating
Stumbler

MS interferes with the safe passage of sensory information from the nerve endings to the brain.

If the brain isn't receiving the right message about "am I hot" or "am I cold", then the brain will not be able to address the situation and modify the temperature.

So, I believe that MS may be playing a part in all of this. :sadwalk:

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Sleepy
Scully

I too, have real problems controlling my inner thermostat.

I can also be really cold, unable to get warm at all, then, without any warning, I'll suddenly feel very hot.

It's very frustrating indeed but I believe it can be fairly common among us!

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

davslav

Hi,,,,unfortunatly it is common. Here in NZ is sumer but I have a hot cuppa and a duvet on bed Best med.

Davslav

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Body temperature

Hello friends I am a student and i believe i have found a treatment i hope we can ask the medical board to allow. I believe that adjusting body temperature will help in treating MS. Just like when a person goes outside when its cold. They forget about what they were thinking and focus on the cold. The reason is their veins get more narrow which stores more oxygen and makes them focus. I am having made a needle that adjusts blood temperature so veins are more narrow and stores more oxygen. The needle also heats up the blood and releases oxygen. It makes a person warm when its cold outside and cold when its warm. Theres no drugs. Its only a needle that heats and cools blood. I only ask for advocates to ask the medical board to allow the device to be used. I promise it will help a lot. Please reply  I hope you like what I share James

in General Discussion about MS

• Body temperature

Hi everyone, I've been sitting in the lovely warm sun this morning, reading my Kindle, sunglasses & hat on when I decided it was time to move around. Well! I felt really unwell & was glad to take a proffered strong hand. Feeling much better now in the cool of the sitting room and after a long drink. Just made me wonder if ms can make you lose your temperature awareness & control. This would also explain my sudden sneezing fits! Any views out there? Jill x

• body temperature ?

does ms play a part in body temperature ? I have no cold or flu symptons always feeling the cold,ive got the heating on full ,and family are moaning its too hot !!,and stripped of to the bare minium !! tc guys xx

• Bad control on mouse pad

Does anyone else find it difficult to use the pad thing (dont know the technical name) on a laptop which you use instead of a mouse? I do my shopping on the internet and couldn't figure why I kept ending up with 2 of things and then I realised I keep jerking and tapping the pad twice. In general I just find it hard to have that much delicate control of my hand and wondered if anyone else has the same problem? Thanks Katie

• EYE MUSCLE WEAKNESS AND WEAK BLADDER CONTROL IN CHILDHOOD

I have been reading a very interesting article about childhood neurological problems in relation to my own family situation. However, it states that eye muscle weakness and/or bed wetting up to age twelve could be an indication of neurological problems in later life. This has got me thinking - I had lazy eys probs and weak bladder so am wondering if there is a link to ms. I am curious as to hear if anyone else suffered these muscle weakness probs in childhood.     Linds

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.