The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
bankie3

please help - serious self injection anxiety with avonex

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

bankie3

In desperate need of advice! Ive been on avonex 3 months now, side effects have reduced and i love that its just once a week but im having the hardest time getting over self injecting anxiety, and it is getting worse, last week i had a big disaster and cried all night about it and havent been able to do it again. Im so desperate for it to work out because i like that its only once a week. Ive tried distractin myself with music, tv, chocolate

Rolley

Hi Bankie3,

When I first started self injecting, a nurse at my local GP's surgery offered to help me, if I had trouble. It may be a worth asking the question. I know that not all GP's surgeries are the same, but it may be worth asking the question.

Christina

It sounds like you feel very scared but you might need to contact your MS nurse, as I doubt anything we can say here could convince you to try again. I used to inject Avonex, but didn't like the clicking of the pen, and preferred to manually inject. If you aren't able to face the manual method, you need to speak to your team Bankie3. It's very normal to feel scared, but if it stops you doing the injection, you need to discuss the situation.

Best wishes

Chris x

PS do you try applying the cold gel patch to the area for a few minutes before you inject?

Edited by Christina

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Sleepy
Scully

I can only agree with the others here. Please have a word with your MS Nurse. I'm sure they come across this sort of thing many times, and may well be able to give you important help and reassurance.

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Hezza

:hugs2: Bankie,

As the others have said I would definitely suggest speaking to your MS Nurse (if you have one) or your GP surgery.

If it is the noise of the injector that it the worst thing maybe you would be able to tolerate someone else doing it without the injector? Your GP might be able to arrange for a nurse at the practice or a district nurse to do it.

:hearts:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

bankie3

Thanks so much for the advice guys! Really appreciate it. So, after breaking down to the hubby he overcame his needle fear for me and did it nice and quick and it was all done this morning witbout pain or side effects and im left feeling a bit silly for the drama i made over it all! I contacted my avonex nurse and she came to see me at home today with some useful words of encouragement. I guess the main thing that stuck out to me was that the stress i am giving myself over it could countrrbalance the effects of the treatment and cause a relapse itself! She gave me some more training pens so hopefully im hoping that will help me get over my problems with the button push and my hubby has agreed to do it again 4 me soooo hopefully the only way is up from here :-)

• Like 2

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Well, that's some good news to start a Friday.

Well done for finding a way forward.

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Sleepy
Scully

Fab! So pleased you have moved onwards and feeling a little less stressed

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Hezza

Excellent, well done you!

:teddy:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Christina

Great to hear!

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

shepp

HI Bankie nothing else to add really except that any time i have to have a jab or even inject myself with extavia, similar type of thing to your avonex it turn away working on the theory that if i can't see it it does'nt hurt. Works for me, good luck.

Tony

Edited by shepp
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Plegridy v Avonex

Hello everyone,    I hope you are all keeping well and cool in this heat. I haven't been on here for a while, the last time was around the time I was going to start Brabio in January. Briefly, I was taken off of Tecfidera after having a very low lymphocyte count, prior to that I had been on Avonex for 10 years. It was suggested that I try Brabio, I wasn't keen but agreed. Unfortunately I could not face the really horrendous sounding side-effects - particularly the shortness of breath and increased heart-rate. I was sat at home with the nurse for over an hour trying to gather up courage but just felt unable to have the injection. Now I have been offered Avonex again, or Plegridy as an alternative. I really don't fancy either to be honest, and to me they feel like a backward step. But I have been told that I am 'doing well', a recent MRI showed no new lesions and unbelievably, some old lesions had healed - and that's after taking nothing for 9 months. However I feel I should be taking something, and maybe Avonex or Plegridy might be better than nothing. Have any of you experience of taking Avonex and switching to Plegridy, or even just taking Plegridy? I am frightened of the unknown effects of Plegridy, but feel a fortnightly injection might be a better option than a weekly one. If I can gather my courage, that is!   Thank you very much!   Best wishes, Catherine

in General Discussion about MS

• Plegridy v Avonex

Good afternoon everyone,   I haven't been here for a while, I hope you are all doing okay. I wondered if anyone here has changed from avonex to plegridy - and what their experience has been? I have been on avonex for 10 years but because I am taking methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis, I can't take any of the oral DMT's. I thought plegridy might be a better option. Any thoughts?   Many thanks, Catherine

• Anxiety and Mother with MS

Hi there I am writing this post after over 20 years of being worried about getting MS having been around my beloved Mum who has had it since I was 5 (I am now 33).   The reason I am writing is I just need some advice please. As a child I really suffered from anxiety, clearly related to my Mum being ill and in pain and my parent's relationship very slowly breaking down. This would come and go, but included a lot of missing school etc. When I was 22-25 it really came to a head and I suffered terrible panic disorder. After months of therapy, it went away and I was able to live my life again. I felt like a new person.   BUT, last year my father left my Mum which was a huge strain onme and more recently my mother has been very ill and in hospital for weeks after a bad relapse. I got extremely stressed travelling to and from the hospital every day and also trying to sort funding, hurry up the social services and hospital nurses that were so overstretched Mum's care was appalling (not their fault, but the NHS cuts) and then I had to sort a new care home for her that would look after her properly with proper nursing.   Anyway, for the past few months I have been having some very scary symptoms and I really want to believe that they are anxiety related and that my nervous system has been under so much stress that it isn't computing properly and me telling myself my worst fear, but I also need to be sensible and realise that my chances of getting MS are higher than the norm having an immediate relative with it. And I suppose I have been thinking about it all my life and I am sure that must have a long lasting effect on people.   I would say that I am experiencing a lot of symptoms all at once, I am not sure if this is a characteristic of MS. I have spent my whole life not reading about the disease or symptoms, only being around my Mum (lifting her, putting her to bed, sorting district nurse appointments constantly, caring for her during two trials she did years ago (which didn't work. Again hugely stressful etc etc) - and I think that reading about it all now would send me off the rails! My symptoms include tingling in left hand and right leg, headaches, heavy feeling leg that is stiff when I sit down for long periods of time, strained feeling in eyes (recent eye test ok though) constant painful neck (helped by Osteo), light feeling in arm, chest pains, itchy feeling as if bugs crawling on my legs when I lie in bed...   The doctor has checked my blood and all was fine, checked my reflexes and everything seemed OK. I do think I should be referred to a Neuro but I am TERRIFIED. I have had too much stress and worry and all my friends say I cope so well, but it is just a front, I don't think I can go through with an MRI and the worry of waiting to hear what I think I have expected all my life...to get MS like my Mum. So if any of you had similar experience, or have any advice, or indeed know anyone that suffered horrible anxiety and relatives with MS that led them to believe in the worst, then I would like to hear from you. Thanks for reading, Alice (33)

• Injection Tracker MSers

Hi All,   I made a website to help me keep track of my injections in the hope that they'd hurt less due to not injecting in hidden bruised areas (and it does!). I've like to share it with fellow MSers (and others if it's useful to them!).   I made it because there wasn't an app that I could use to take photos of my injection areas and track injection sites, (and add 'landmarks' like blemishes!) and have been using it since August last year and am very pleased with it!   Have a look, I'd love some feedback if you have the time? Injection Tracker for MSers   Thank you,     Jon

• First injection done

Hi all,   Well the first injection was done yesterday at 2:30pm in the hospital. I thought the pen had malfunctioned as i didnt feel a thing but it worked fine.   My legs started hurting a lot about 4 hours after the injection and by about 8pm were really painful with a few aches down the shoulders and arms but the chills started in about 9ish alternating with hot spells. I did however have a cold and a sore throat before the injection and the nurse said that this could make the symptoms a bit worse so until i inject when i am well i wont get a true reading of side effects. My head is a bit thick this morning but that i think is due to the cold i have. My legs are still a bit achy but if thats all the side effects i get i will be more than happy.

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.