The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
lala

What does your username mean to you?

56 posts in this topic Last Reply

lala

Morning everyone,

Saw this question somewhere and it's been nagging me so though i would ask! I have seen lots of fun and cryptic usernames & pictures on this forum, i was wondering what they meant to everyone? If anything at all?!

My name is Lala as this is what my friends called me when i was younger as it has been known for me to be a bit ditzy :what: and it has stuck - unfortunatley it makes me sound like a telletubby!

I would have a very vain picture of me as my profile image, however luckily for you all, i can't work out how to upload the image! So instead i have Salvador Dali's 'Metamorphosis of Narcissus' painting which was my mum's favourite and so holds happy memories!

So does anyone else's names have a story ??

Lala x

• Like 2

Crafty Cow

Up until the tremors started around Xmas time, I had a small craft business hand painting and personalising wooden plaques and shapes. Since the tremors have kicked in, I have had to knock it on the head, temporarily, I hope.......hence the name craft cow :-)

• Like 4

Follow me, you can follow me....and I, I will not desert you..............

cazza

Mine comes from way way back, when as a 9 or 10yr old, in the little village i lived in, there were four girls (in our gang) all called Carol or Carole, so we all had to have nicknames so we knew who we were talking about. This stuck with me all through my teens,working life and happy times. It still makes me smile!!

• Like 3

*A Christmas Carole*

Sleepy
Scully

What an interesting thread !

Ok. When I was 18 I came to Gb from Vancouver where I was born and raised. I went to Uni in Bristol to study law on my arrival on these shores.

At the time the X-file were a bit of a cult thing. One of my tutors, because of my accent, and at the time, strawberry blonde hair, cut in a bob. My lecturer likened me to 'Scully' on the X-files, aka Gillian Anderson, and from that day on, I was 'Scully'.

Later in life when I spent many years sailing and delivering yachts all over the world, traversing many oceans. One is normally called by a nickname of some sort, so Scully was still used.

The locals in the Caribbean, particularly Barbados where I sailed out and into many times, were very confused, nicknames aren't the norm there....they knew my first name, but heard many sailing colleagues calling me Scully..........so, they tending to call me 'Scullori'.

Odd now nicknames stick with us huh?

Scully

x

• Like 4

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Nick

Strangely enough mine is 'Nick' because that's my name! Everyone around me as kid's had nicknames but I never did.....I've always simply been Nick, My logo thingy, the 'girl on a wire' is taken from a famous bit of art from Banksy (A girl with a red, heart shaped, ballon) Its modified and is my attempt to depict the difficult balancing act involved with MS and the feeling of venerability and innocence of attempting to live with it all. I also love the humour in the art of Banksy and find it fun that as a bloke in his 50's I choose to see myself that way!! The art of Banksy has no sentimentality and is hard hitting yet still seems to poke fun at the modern world.

• Like 2

Just another Warrior...........

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Simples! Stumbler, because I have a propensity to end up on the floor! :lol:

:moonieman:

• Like 5

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Mal

Same here Mal is for Malcolm , like in " of course it is Malcolm!" :-/ ....bloody Vicks ruined my life lol :wtf:

• Like 5

lala

Mal with the best will in the world I have no idea what that means! Told you I was dizzy!

Crafty Cow

Hahaha, I guess you are not old enough to remember an ad in the seventies.......'course you can Malcolm' hehe, remember it well! X

lala

No missed that treasure, was only born in the 80's! X

Crafty Cow

I guessed so, I am jealous! Not an old so and so like me.....you didn't miss much lol xxx

• Like 1

shepp

Simple really my surname is Sheppard so hence Shepp but has also applied to my two brothers so got a bit confusing growing up even though there was quite a few years between us but also applied to my dad, grandfarther, and quite a few uncles and one son

• Like 1

shepp

What an interesting thread !

Ok. When I was 18 I came to Gb from Vancouver where I was born and raised. I went to Uni in Bristol to study law on my arrival on these shores.

At the time the X-file were a bit of a cult thing. One of my tutors, because of my accent, and at the time, strawberry blonde hair, cut in a bob. My lecturer likened me to 'Scully' on the X-files, aka Gillian Anderson, and from that day on, I was 'Scully'.

Later in life when I spent many years sailing and delivering yachts all over the world, traversing many oceans. One is normally called by a nickname of some sort, so Scully was still used.

The locals in the Caribbean, particularly Barbados where I sailed out and into many times, were very confused, nicknames aren't the norm there....they knew my first name, but heard many sailing colleagues calling me Scully..........so, they tending to call me 'Scullori'.

Odd now nicknames stick with us huh?

Scully

x

Hi Scully went to Vancouver a few years ago flew in to Vancouver on a Sunday hired a RV on Monday and drove east across to Banff and spent two weeks touring the rockies, you have to say What a beautiful country and they say the ice field parkway is the best drive in the world coming from Wales I found that hard to swallow but have to say after driving it I grudgingly have to agree Tony

• Like 1

lala

........so, they tending to call me 'Scullori'.

Haha scully i love this - funny how things get lost in translation! x

• Like 1

lala

Crafty cow - i get the crafty bit...why the cow? You seem lovely to me!! x

• Like 2

lala

Stumbler - i guess some names are self-explanatory! Maybe i should change my name to crazy midget! :shutup:

lala

Nick, i thought i recognised the picture, i like Banksy also and never really thought of his work in that way before - you have made me think which is quite an achivement - so thanks! x

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Stumbler - i guess some names are self-explanatory! Maybe i should change my name to crazy midget! :shutup:

I've been called many things in my time! :lol:

Stumbler just seems to fit now....... :whistle:

:moonieman:

• Like 3

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

lala

Cazza, Can't believe there were four Carols in the same village, must of been a popular name where you were! Cazza is cool sounds like you should be in Grease or something! x

• Like 2

lala

Shepp i imagine that could get a tad confusing! x

Crafty Cow

Hahahahahaha, thanks Lala lol. You say the nicest things! I don't know why really, I'm not a cow, well, at least I don't think am hehe. Just went well together crafty and cow. Perhaps I should have a rethink lol xx

• Like 3

derby42

Have to join in cos you've all made me smile. My name is Harold. This is what my close friends call me. . Or Har. Or h.

This came about about 16 years ago when my garden resembled a scrap yard. A pal said it was like steptoes yard and began Harold.

It stuck, Hubby doesn't like it. . Long story so i won't bother explaining. Just couldn't resist joining in. Not my username on here i know but its me!

Edited by derby42
  • Like 3

derby x

Mal

The long story hasn't got anything to do with Hayley from coronation street has it ??

Glad people don't remember the Vicks advert :)

There was even a bloody song :thumbdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR_rPufJD4s

• Like 3

derby42

No nothing to do with Hayley but i do remember Malcolm!

derby x

druidsam

Same here Mal is for Malcolm , like in " of course it is Malcolm!" :-/ ....bloody Vicks ruined my life lol :wtf:

Mal with the best will in the world I have no idea what that means! Told you I was dizzy!

im old enough to know exactly what that means lol

im a druid and my names sam,. so druidsam :whistle: .... simples

• Like 2

druidsam.gif