The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Marina

Whopping headache/migraine and intense leg/arm aches

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sluggish
Marina

I tend to suffer from atypical TN which is bad enough as it is but yesterday, whilst out shopping, I developed one huge whopping headache. On the way home, I wondered if it wasn't a migraine, something I've not had for decades (used to get a lot of them as a teenager, without aura).

When I got home, the headache was worse still, pretty acute, and both my legs and arms started to intensely and deeply ache, including my feet and hands. I've not had this before, and certainly not to this degree - except once, 10 yrs ago (before DX) when I woke with such painful legs which I couldn't move for the pain and phoned emergency doc who didn't know what it was, and which was later put down to MS.

My entire body from head to toe felt wracked with pain. It was all too much for me, despite being used to pain, and I ended up crying for hours - not like me!

I've still got it today, not quite as severe but still pretty awful.

Has anybody ever had a headache or migraine together with severe limb aching? Or, can a bad headache or migraine provoke such pain or aching in legs and arms in us MSers? It's not something I've yet come across in MSers.

PS - please don't tell me to ask my GP... I've had one doctor in that surgery scoff and laugh their head off at me about severe head pains (before DX but which eventually led to it), and I'm not over the moon about current GP for a variety of reasons. Anyway, it might all be gone tomorrow! (with any luck...)

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

YorkshirePudding

I'm so sorry you feel so crappy, I'm afraid I can't help you, I get the painful limbs but not the headaches too. My gp is not brilliant either, I tend to go my own way. Now if you were asking about falling down we would be in sync because I'm really good at that.

So basically what I'm saying is I hope it resolves itself quickly, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Sue

lala

Hi Marina,

I have had headaches/migraines (no aura) in the past where the rest of my body has ached as well, i have always just put it down to the headache. All i could do was take some migraleve and lay down to ride it out.

If you don't want to talk to your GP, maybe try a pharmacist or the NHS direct number? They might be able to suggest something to help?

I hope it passes for you soon, it sounds horrific.

Take care, Laura x

Crafty Cow

Hi marina,

It does sound horrific as laura said.

I think maybe you should get your blood pressure checked out, just to be on the safe side. If its affecting your arms and legs, you may as well look at all possibilities.

Hope you start feeling better soon

Sam xx

Follow me, you can follow me....and I, I will not desert you..............

Lilacwine

Sounds dreadful Marina, you poor thing. Sorry I can't help, but if you still feel like it tomorrow I would seek some advice.

Hope whatever it is goes pretty quickly for you.

Best wishes

Trish x

cazza

Sorry to hear this Marina, know how it feels, my way of dealing with it, yes a good cry helps to start with then i go and lay down in the dark/shaded light, drink chamomile tea and gently breathe in Lavender. fresh flowers from the garden if you can.

Some will think "quack" remedy, don't care, calms me down and eases the pain and i prefer ot to MORE PILLS.

Hope you find something that works for you, trying to relax and be calm can only help.

Take care.

Cazza xx :flowers2:

*A Christmas Carole*

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Marina,

Poor you, sorry yu are feeling so rubbish and in so much pain.

Like you, I used to get ?migraines in my younger years, without aura too. Not had them so bad lately, just now and agin. Had a run of them a few years ago and nothing, nothing would shift them. In desperation one day, I bought 'Sainsbury's own brand Migrine releif' ( other brands are available lol ) and guess what, within an hour it had gone....thinking it may have been coincidence I tried them again a few weeks later and they worked again.

I always reckon if I can shift a really bad headache like migraine, I can cope with the other stuff. Maybe worth a try?

Thankfully not had head, arms and legs all at the same time, sounds pretty hard to cope with the lot.

I do hope you feel better very soon.

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Mal

What your describing is what lead to me being referred for MRI

i have suffered from them for years now , over the years my doctors

have just fobbed me off and told me to keep taking migraine tablets .

my migraines last for about three days , i always seem to have one were

i'm totally wiped out , then it takes another two days recovery

the migraine tablets i'm prescribed are Zolmitriptan .

Mal x

Sluggish
Marina

Thanks all for your replies :hearts_circle:

I think it must've been a migraine - the first I've had in decades! The deep deep aching in limbs improved a bit on the 2nd day and went by the 3rd. Definitely not something I used to get with migraines in the past. The worst of the migraine is over, I just have a sort of very slight headache now. As for the deep aching in limbs, I get achy limbs anyway but not as bad as that was.

As for Migraleve... it's a con! Someone went out and got me some, the yellow ones. The ingredients? Paracetamol and codeine. The price? £6.60 for 24. Boots own brand of paracetamol and codeine (with the exact same amounts, as a pain killer rather than specifically for migraine) = £1.75 for 36! I could have sworn that, years ago, Migraleve had some ingredient particular to migraines and wasn't just paracetamol and codeine... The only difference with the pink Migraleve is that it contains something for nausea.

As an aside - Sam, I've had headaches associated with high BP which was due to a contraceptive pill at the time, and the head pain was quite different, down the back of my head and sharp, although I did have to wear sunglasses as my eyes couldn't bear light, a bit like with migraines.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Crafty Cow

Glad you are feeling better. I can sympathise, I can't take the pill for that reason. Last time I did, back in 1999, it caused an aneurysm to blowin my retina, they can be really intense and almost cause stroke like symtoms, that's what worried me when I read your post. Hopefully you are now on the mend, and lets hope you don't get anymore like that.

Sam xx

• Like 1

Follow me, you can follow me....and I, I will not desert you..............

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Marina,

Glad you are feeling better again.

Yes, I found that Sainsbury's own brand of migraine tabs, were also paracetamol and codeine, bu they did seem to work. And much cheaper, a fraction of the generic ones!

Scully

x

• Like 1

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"