The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
LittleBlue

Speech problems

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

LittleBlue

I'm in state this morning, my speech isn't slurred or anything but I feel as if when I open my mouth nothing might come out. So far it's ok and my thought process is ok, but I'm terrified.

Anyone else had similar?

Crafty Cow

I happened to me three times last week. It was as if the connection between my head and mouth had been severed. Quite awkward when you are tying to explain things on the phone to the dr.

Sam x

Follow me, you can follow me....and I, I will not desert you..............

LittleBlue

Phew, not just me then. It's so frightening and I'm trying not to stress as it makes things worse but I'm terrified. Having a good old blub at the minute. :(

lala

Hi Littleblue,

Sorry to hear your having a bad time of it at the moment. I get the speech problem sometimes, it's like i know what i want to say just can't seem to get the right words out....then when i do manage to say something it's either back to front or the wrong thing entirely! I quite often tell my kids to get their shoats and cooes (shoes and coats) on! They think i'm nuts.

Try not to let it get you down too much, as frustrating as it is, i've learnt to laugh it off as much as i can.

If its really worrying you have a chat to your nurse or gp. Hope you feel brighter soon :)

Laura x

Edited by lala

Mal

Hi Littleblue

like what has already been said , you know the words your looking

for but can't get them to come out

for me this gets worse when i really start to tire so it gets really awkward

when i'm out with a bunch of people , i start off doing ok then within

a couple of hrs , i have to start taking your self out of any conversations

in fear you look stupid :-/

Mal x

Rama

Hi Littleblue,

I have found that the way I talk has changed - there are lots of pauses while my brain searches around for the word I want. I also get words mixed up calling things by the wrong names. I think the main thing is not too get stressed by it. Getting stressed will only make it worse.

Gill x

• Like 1

LittleBlue

Thanks all for the reassurance. A bit better today but got myself so worked up..my voice was my living for a while and to feel so...helpless really frightened me. As usual, this forum is a life saver for calming me down.

I too make dreadful spoonerisms...my worst being phoning a shop called 'The Kite Shack'

You can imagine how it came out.... :whistle:

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Swallowing, speech and choking

For many years, I've had throat problems due to MS. At times, the swallowing mechanism reaches up and grabs food before I've thoroughly chewed it. At other times, a small seed or nut is lodged in my throat, leaving the sensation it is still there even when the choking coughs have dislodged it. All this has caused me much embarrassment as food is often splattered around by the coughs. Not a pretty sight.   And now... last Sunday, I was in bed, lolling after a nice cup of tea. No sensation of choking or lodged er… tea! But, of its own accord (pun intended) my throat closed. Thus I could neither breathe or speak. It felt like many minutes, lasted seconds. I thumped DH just so he would know distress was present. Then I reached for a glass of water, and happily my throat allowed the sip through, followed by many thankful swallows.   My throat has tightened to various degrees since Sunday so I await a chat with a GP this afternoon.   It's just another one of those things that are sent to try us... 

in General Discussion about MS

• Speech problem

Hi everyone. I have recently started to to find it difficult to speak when I get tired. I feel as though my lips are rubber and saliva starts to come out of the corners of my mouth. My speech sounds a bit slurred. I've had a swallowing problem for many years, but my speech has always been fine. Does anyone else experience this just when they get tired, with normal speech the rest of the time? Many thanks to anyone who replies.

• lost my speech

Until recently i was quite lucky with ms compared to my friend's at my local ms exercise class. On holiday in dec 2011 in Florida i felt spaced out and cold and numb then i lost my speech it either came out muddled up,slurred or just unable altogether and im wondering is this ms . Im now in another phase again and it causing all problems' at my kiddies school as they beleive i m a drunk. Any help glady welcomed   Hazexx

• No energy and slurred speech from a little exercise

Hi, yesterday I thought i'd go for a short bike ride. However my body had different ideas.   After a short distance my energy was just gone, I didn't even have the strength walk with the bike. I had to phone my OH to collect me in the car. I did however discover that my left leg is no way as strong as my right, yet I've always had most of the sysmptoms in my right leg.     I cannot believe how slurred my speech had become, I just couldn't speak. I made no sense at all. Is this what I can expect if I try to exercise in the future ?

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.