The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Mal

More latest posts would be nice :)

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mal

I would like to see more than five latest posts , its always handy

when you log in just to look at latest posts to see what been going on ;)

Mal x

Sluggish
Marina

Unfortunately, the sidebar box doesn't allow more than 5 of the Latest Posts.

However....... you can see latest posts and topics and other new stuff by going to the little link at the top right "View New Content".

"View New Content" is set by default to show you any topics (including replies) you haven't read. If you look to the sidebar on the left of that page, there are options to change what's shown, as in the screenshot below. Be aware that if you change these, it will remember your choice for the next time you go to that page.

forum-view-new-content-sidebar.gif

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Sluggish
Marina

I'm wrong :lol4: I can set the sidebar box to show more than 5 of the Latest Posts.

How many would you like it set to? Bear in mind that the longer it is, the longer the entire sidebar will be, which might make it too long?

Marina

Mal

Just another two or three would be fine :wink2:

Sluggish
Marina

Before I make any changes to the number of Latest Posts in that box, I'm wondering if anybody else might have any preferences or thoughts for how many are shown?

It should be borne in mind that the Latest Posts sidebar box shows topics, regardless of how many replies a topic has had. Sometimes, if not more often than not, there might be more than 5 or 7 replies during a day but those replies can sometimes be to fewer than 5 or 7 topics. In other words, the bottom "Latest Posts" (whether new topics or replies to other topics) could end up being from yesterday or the day before yesterday, depending on whether the forum's quiet or not. During quieter times, having that box show topics from a couple of days ago tends to make the forum look a bit stale. I think that's why I'd never increased the number of Latest Posts in that box before.

On the other hand, going to "View New Content" always shows all new topics and topics with new replies. Even more handy is that it shows all new topics/replies that you haven't read whilst not displaying those you have read (unless you change the sort order, as described above).

Marina

Sluggish
Marina

Since nobody else replied here, I can't know if others have any preference or not :dunno:

So.....

I've upped the number of Latest Posts to 7 for now. If we should get quiet again, I can always reduce it back to 5 :hoop:

• Like 1

Marina

rosie-b

That sounds great/ I will jut need to remember to look at new posts!!!

• Like 1

Rosie B

Sluggish
Marina

Hi Rosie, nice to see you around :hippy:

Don't forget, the "Latest Posts" in the sidebar on the main page is only the latest 7 topics (either new or with replies). If there are more, then "View New Content" at the top right of every page will show you everything you've not yet read. Not only will "View New Content" show you latest forum topics, it can show you latest Blog and other entries too :flowerface:

Also, if you click the little square button, like this:

forum-topic-preview.gif

it will show you a preview of the first post and last post in that topic like below:

forum-topic-preview-full.gif

It will also show you, in the middle of the first and last post, the latest post you've not read if there's one before the last one. Clicking the "X" (as I've marked in red) will close the preview.

This little square button and topic preview also exist in all the forum sections when you go to each section individually.

Just as a reminder - new topics and topics with replies which you haven't yet read are in bold. Once you've read a topic or "Mark community read", it's no longer in bold, until a new topic or reply to a topic appears.

If you find there are too many unread topics in "View New Content", you can mark the entire forum as "read" by clicking the link "Mark Community Read" at the bottom left of every page. You can also mark individual sections as "read" by clicking "Mark this forum as read" at the top right of each forum section.

Marina