The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
pinkpolkadots

EVP test tomorrow

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

pinkpolkadots

Hello ! Off for my evp test tomorrow at 1pm. Quite intrigued to what they do. Was told I was having it done to check as I have been having eye problems.

Will let you know how I get on! :) hope everyone is ok xx

Crafty Cow

It's a relatively painless test, sometimes gets a bit uncomfy when they hold the electrodes on your wrist and ankles to stimulate the nerve, but it isn't painful per se. Although, I have skinny wrists and ankles so that may be why lol. The best advice she gave me was to relax, as they can pick up the effects of the stimulation on the nerves quicker that way.

They will put electrodes on your head and fix it with a white paste. She did wash it off, but I have short hair, and I ended up going in the toilets to try and make it look presentable, my advice, take a hat. Lol.

Sam xx

• Like 1

Follow me, you can follow me....and I, I will not desert you..............

pinkpolkadots

I have skinny wrists too. Haha. I know kind of what to expect now, sounds a bit weird but I'm sure it will be fine. I have decided I will be taking a hat, at least I can get away with it being December, I have quite long hair, could look a bit scarecrow like hehe! Thanks Sam xx

• Like 1

Sluggish
Marina

Which evoked potentials test are you having? There are several, one for eyes ( VER or VEP), one for hearing and one for sensory. The one for eyes is the most common for MS.

When I had my VER, I didn't have anything attached to my wrists (tiny!) or ankles. I just had electrodes on my head and - this sounds far more horrible than it actually is - little wires across my eyeballs...

My hair didn't end up being mussed up at all, despite the sticky stuff for the electrodes. My eyes were, however, very blurry afterwards as they put anaesthetising solution in my eyes for the wires.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

pinkpolkadots

Oh god that doesn't sound nice, eeek. I actually have no idea, my letter just says a neurophysiological investigation outpatient appointment and says the duration of the test will vary from 1-3 hours depending on what needs to be tested,and that the eye test alone can take 2 hours? So not very helpful, all I know was the neuro wants my eyes tested due to the symptoms in one eye so I'm guessing I'm having just the eye one done.

JellyBellyKelly

I had all three done about 12 years ago. I had earphones put on my head and was played white noise, the visual one I had to watch a red square in the middle of alternating black and white squares and the sensory one was a small electrical current attached to my foot. All painless and easy peesy lemon squeezy!!!! I found out a few weeks ago that mine all came back completely normal (at least some part of me is :wavebunny: )

JBK xx

• Like 1

pinkpolkadots

Oh really? Great thanks, sounds lovely compared to the MRI lol. Will be interested to see how my results turn out. :) thank you xx

Comfortably_Numb

Good luck with the tests. I just ha electrodes on my head and I had to watch a screen with alternate eyes. I believe they compare one eye with the other so they'd probably test both eyes. It's the oddest test! Totally painless but was very surreal to me!

And when the night is cloudy there is still a light that shines on me.

Shine on until tomorrow. Let it be.

pinkpolkadots

Well it was done within 2 hours, I had the eye test with electrodes all over my head and a weird thin wire in my eyeballs, ewwww, sounds worse than it was, then I had more electrodes on my front and back and legs and small shocks sent to thumbs and they moved but themselves and same to my feet and all my toes moved by themselves, it was soooo weird and felt odd, but it didn't hurt. Apparently my results will go back to the consultant now. :)

Edited by pinkpolkadots

Sluggish
Marina

Well done for getting through it! :hippy:

Yes, those thin wires across the eyeballs do sound worse than they actually are, don't they? I know I was a bit terrified when I was told I was going to have them, but felt better about it when they said they'd put numbing drops in first...

• Like 1

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

pinkpolkadots

I wasn't given any drops, they just put them in. But they just felt like I had a hair or something in my eye! Ha

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now