The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
The Dragonfly

Anyone else on Copaxone

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

The Dragonfly

Hi everyone!

I have been using copaxone for three weeks. I don't mind the injections everyday, actually i get a kick out of finding new spots, so i can play dot-to-dot on my body, light humour, gotta keep that going. :penguin2:

What has started out fine I now get welts on my thighs. So stopped injecting into there, i now do my tummy, arms and buttocks. Again don't mind that but i spent the entire of last night scratching my injection site from yesterday on my left arm, huge welt there. Welt and redness there before scratching. Really itchy and i am using shear determination right now to not scratch. Did my tummy today, no problems. I am just running out of spots and kinda worried. I have been rotating them all aswell.

Has anyone else had this much trouble and what did you do to relieve it?

Thank you

Jennifer x

Chaos

I have been injecting Copraxone for about 7 years. Never really had any problems apart from lumps under the skin where I inject in my stomach.

I would suggest for the itching feeling you are experiencing putting ice cubes on the injection site. Put the ice cubes in a bag first so when they melt you don't have water everywhere.

The Dragonfly

Hi Chaos,

As one does with MS, I forgot I asked this question. Thank you for answering.

I have been icing and it has helped a bit. I still get the welts, and I bruise very badly on my thighs. Think I might have to stop doing it there completely. I read that the lumps and itching is normal so I will persevere.

Rama

Hi,

I was on Copaxone for about 3 months. I didn't get itching but did get lumps on my thighs which were very tender. If I had continued on the Copaxone I think I would have stopped injecting into my thighs. I never tried injecting into my arms. Only areas that I found ok were stomach and buttocks. If you are okay with these sites I would stick with them.

By the way I stopped taking it because I have now been diagnosed as SPMS and I am hoping to get on a trial for SPMS and one of the criteria is you are not taking any DMDs. Weren't doing me any good anyway.

Gill x

The Dragonfly

Ah, interesting Gill. My stomach and buttocks are my best areas, guess more fat....haha. Arms are ok. The last few on my thigh have been drawing up blood after I take the needle out, I'll stop there I think.

I'll give it a year and see how it goes. I have permanent numbness and a weird irky feeling that I can't explain in three fingers on each hand. Extreme tiredness still and my legs are like weights, hope the copaxone helps.

Jen x

Rama

I hope it works for you Jen.

X

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Copaxone - Lloyds Pharmacy Clinical Homecare

Has anyone else had personal data issues with this NHS contractor? They appear to withhold medication deliveries unless patients agree to sending answers to intrusive personal medical questions over non-secure email services. 

in General Discussion about MS

• Starting Copaxone

I am going to start Copaxone but I’m worried about the side effects. Can anyone tell me their experience on the drug?

• Thoughts/experiences of Copaxone & Avonex?

Hi I hope you are all doing well? I am looking for some advice as usual!   I have been on Rebif 44mcg since August this year. It has been up and down in terms of side effects, some days I have none and others I am bed ridden, other days split the difference! It's also been upsetting my blood test results and my nurse wants me to try something else,I asked about gilenya but she wants me to stay on an injectable for now.   So my choices are Avonex which is very similar to Rebif and carries the risk of side effects (although only once a week) ,so could be easier to manage than 3x a week on Rebif. Or capoxone which is a daily injection, with very few side effects apart from site reactions and lipoatrophy (sp?) The downside I can see of the daily injection is that it has shown no long term affect on disability, the beta interferons have done much better in trials, which is a major consideration for me as I'm still youngish! If anyone has experience of these drugs I'd really appreciate your thoughts/experiences.   I know I have to chose what's best for me and I'm lucky to have a choice, since so many have no choices at all, but I would appreciate any advice you can throw my way.   Thank you Laura x

• Copaxone

Hi all I've had MS 13 years but avoided dmds up till now....after more relapses recently I've finally been persuaded to start - thinking it's got to be copaxone cos of the (possibly) fewer side fx....but injecting every day and the issues that brings, well, I'm very anxious....also I'm alone so got noone to hold my hand (if you know what i mean)...I'd totally appreciate anyone's experience and opinions, tho I know everyone's different.....THANKS!!!

• Starting Copaxone

Well after 2 years of taking Rebif I have just been swapped over to Copaxone. The nurse has just left after training me to use the auto-injector. Also have the option of using the syringes without the help of the auto-injector but I prefer not to see the needle before it goes into me. Fingers crossed I see some improvement over the next few weeks or months. Gill xx

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.