The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Rama

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Rama

Hi All,

WellI had my first session of hyperbaric oxygen therapy ( HBOT) last night. Basically I sat in a small chamber while they compressed the chamber to the equivalent of being at a depth of 16 feet. Felt a bit like going up in a plane and I had to release the pressure in my ears every now and then by swallowing. Once we were at the correct pressure we put on masks and breathed in pure oxygen for an hour. I didn't feel any different after the session but I am assuming I will need to have several sessions before I see any benefit - assuming I see any benefit at all. The most disappointing thing was I couldn't take my kindle into the chamber - I was looking forward to a good read. So I'll need to take a magazine or a real book next time.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried HBOT and if they have seen any improvement in their symptoms as a result.

I have got to the stage that I am now willing to try anything.

Cazza - you said you had tried it - how did you find it? What a shame they closed it down.

Gill x

Procrastinating
Stumbler

I've just finished the third week of intensive HBOT therapy. It's recommended that you take 3 sessions a week for 6 weeks, to build up the body's saturation levels.

Does it work? Well, I've noticed a couple of things, which may have improved. But, with MS, you're so up and down on a daily basis, that you question everything.

I intend to complete the intensive sessions and then do a personal review.

I know that there is no clinical evidence to support HBOT, but if it generally makes you feel better, then that's a good thing.

I'm surprised about your ban on Kindles, as our centre allows them, along with laptops and tablets.

It's nice to have standards! :what:

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

cazza

Hi Gill, It took a few sessions before i noticed anything changing, they were subtle, gentle things, and as John has said ms is so up and down you are never quite sure what is helping or not.

Like you i am willing to try anything that may help me, so all i can offer you is to stick with it a little while longer, as we all know nothing works instantly for us so give it time.

The major effect for me was it seemed to reduce the fatigue and give me a bit more energy.

Fingers crossed for you hope you get something good from it.

Cazza xx

• Like 1

*A Christmas Carole*

Rama

Hi,

The centre I am going to said nothing about an intensive course to begin with - I am going once a week. Starting at a 'depth' of 16 feet for 5 sessions and if I don't see any effect they will increase the 'depth' for the next 5 sessions. How funny that they have different standards where electrical gadgets are concerned.

I'll stick with it a while and keep my fingers crossed that I see some benefit.

Gill x

Procrastinating
Stumbler

It's difficult to find much information on HBOT from a trusted source, although the MS Trust has this information :- http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/hbo.jsp , which suggests intensive treatment at the start.

HBOT is not endorsed at all by NICE! Does that mean it's not nice! :lol4:

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Rama

Thanks John. I will mention this at my next session and see what they say. Although I think I would struggle to fit in three sessions a week. The centre isn't easy for me to get to and they only run sessions during the day and I am lucky enough to still be working.

Like your comment about NICE!!

Gill x

sharron

how much is it ? as i would have to take into account travelling costs from the isle of wight.,intrested in giving it a go,willing to try anything xx

Rama

Hi Sharron,

I go to an MS centre for my oxygen therapy. It is a charity run organisation so I just make a donation each time I go. The best thing for you to do is find out where the closest HBOT is to you. Then find out how much it is and then, depending on the distance you have to travel and cost, decide if it is worth it for you to go.

Gill x

sharron

thanks Gill for the info,sorry to of hijacked your post ,tc xx

Rama

Hijack away! I like when posts get a bit of a discussion started. xx

supaguy

Hi Everybody!

Come May, I will have been doing regular and frequent hyperbaric oxygen sessions for two years. I dive so fequently, I have had more sessions per year than anyone else at our centre by far. I frequently have three sessions per week (athough I can't always make it because I work).

I dive at any depth but it usually happens that I am in a 33 ft dive.

I am doing absolutely everything to fight this off: LDN, Hyperbaric Oxygen and the Wheldon Combined Antibiotic Protocol. I have been taking suplements since before I had my diagnosis in Aug 2010.

Good luck and keep fighting!

G

Edited by supaguy

sharron

hi guys,another question,how long roughly is it before your likely to see improvements ? tc xx

Rama

Hi Sharron,

I've had three sessions and not noticed any difference yet. Apart from having a great night's sleep after I dive. :sleep2:

G - can you tell us if you have seen a big improvement. I'd also be interested in hearing how you find LDN. I am thinking of asking my MS nurse if she thinks it's a good idea for me to try it.

Gill x

supaguy

Hi!

I have had a vast number of dives. The Chrismas before last, I was in the aftermath of a nasty fall - no broken bones, just twists & pain - and after a hyperbaric dive, the pain went. I figure if it can speed my healing tendons, it can help heal my brain.

Look, my friend, all of this stuff is subjective and gueswork. I continue to have between one & three dives a week because I believe it works. I take LDN but I cannot prove that it is helping. I take a vast array of supplements but I cannot prove that they do anything. I beleive that HBOT will speed healing ... in fact I KNOW it does because I have seen it.

HBOT will not cure MS and doesn't claim to. My advice to you and other MSers is to do it all (or whatever you can). By that I mean supplements; HBOT if it is practical; LDN and Combined Antibiotic Protocol. If you can find a really good non-clasical homeopath, I'd do that too.

Anyway, whatever you do: good luck!

G.

supaguy

Hey Sharron ...

so you're thinking of asking your MS nurse whether it's a good idea to try LDN. Oh dear ... that is as quaint as it is naive. Do you think that William Hill or Ladbrooks would accept any bets on the what your nurses response will be? What ever your nurses personal view ... they can only quote the party line.

Take a look at this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/house_of_commons/newsid_9653000/9653869.stm

Oh, the other thing is this: if you give a hint that you might want to take control of your own destiny, they won't like it. I'd advise anyone to take control. Be sure; if you just stay as you are, doing what you're doing, you just get worse!

Good luck my friend!

G.

Nick

Supaguy,

Asking advice from an MS Nurse is sound advice and not as you suggest either quint or naive. We are all looking for solutions and we all have different ways of finding them, so we should all respect our differing views.

Nick

• Like 5

Just another Warrior...........

Crappy
Marina

Some MS nurses, and indeed some neuros (my own included), have no objection to LDN.

A friendly reminder that this topic is about hyperbaric oxygen therapy - could we all please stay on topic. If anyone wishes to discuss other possible treatments, please start a new topic :hoop:

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

supaguy

Hey ...

I have learnt something today. I have learnt not to believe that my bad experiences are the universal norm ... it's just that I see and speak to many other MSers and all the ones that I seem to come across share the same negative experience that I have described.

When I first asked about LDN, the MS nurse said that there was a doctor down (name of place witheld) "selling prescriptions" ... That, to me, was an awful thing to say about anyone, especially a doctor. As I have already stated, I am trying everything I can to try and fight off MS ... but I have found that the NHS health professionals assigned to me have been nothing but disparaging about all of my efforts ... whether that be LDN, HBOT; hence I tend not to bother with them.

If people out there are lucky enough to have neuros that will listen or will even prescribe LDN ... well they are one lucky bugga! I am well envious: I have to buy my own. When I asked the MS nurse about hyperbaric oxygen, she just dimissed it by saying "No, it's not something we recommend".

Ok, sticking to Hyperbaric Oxygen, as requested; here's one very useful tip (I wrote a whole essay on this for the manager of my local MS therapy centre).

Biggest issue for people doing a dive (provided that they are not claustrophobic) is pain in the ears. This pain is caused by pressure not being release via the eustachian tube in the ear. The tube can be bocked by mucus.

Solution: take NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine). NAC thins mucus. The recommended does is 600mg per day. I take 2400mg per day as part of the CAP protocol I'm doing. When I first used to dive I used to dread the pressure; not any more: now, with NAC, my ears clear every time.

I hope that may help someone out there.

Good luck to you all,

G

• Like 2