The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
PaulX

Does Gabapentin give you the sniffles?

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Lurking
PaulX

I have been taking Gabapentin for a little while now, not a big dose, only 600mg a day and it seems like I have had the beginnings of a cold for as long as I can remember. Sniffles, a feeling in the throat, the usual stuff you get before a cold, but it never seems to actually come.

It is always hard to tell what came first, the drug or the snotty nose, but I am fairly certain it was the drug. It is close anyway.

There is no real mention of it as a side effect but then again that is not always the most reliable guide.

Anyone else seem to have acquired a potential nearly cold since going onto Gabapentin?

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

derby42

Hi Paul

now you mention it I often have that feeling, didn't even consider the drug. I've been right up to 2700mg and now I'm back to 900mg a day, I've not really felt right since I started it.

• Like 1

derby x

lala

Hi Paul,

I'm on gabapentin as well (hoping to change soon). I understand exactly what you mean about the non-starter colds, guess this at least once a week! Like Derby, never considered it could be the gabapentin itself. Always just assumed it was a clapped out immune system thing. Off to gp tomorrow, might ask her opinion.

• Like 1

Lurking
PaulX

Hi Lala,

Do let us know if the GP has anything to say about the sniffles and Gabapentin.

It is driving me mad at the moment, but I don't want to stop it as it really does seem to be helping the legs.

Paul

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have we found?

The same old fears.

lala

Hi Paul,

Did ask her if there was a connection to gabapentin yesterday, her answer was vague at best. Shocking I know! She said it could be a side effect (given there's so many), or a result of a compromised immune system, allergies to the environment or a combination of all three! So no definates, that's a definate! Guess it's another thing we will have to put up with. She switched me over to amitriptyline again. Tried it before but made me like the walking dead the next day. However gaba isn't cutting it anymore so hope my tolerance is better this time round. Will be interested to see if the sniffles stop...

Mal

Did you have the sniffles before gabapentin?

looking back , i certainly did , i moved onto pregabalin months ago ,

and it much better than gabapentin , i can't won't take amitriptyline ,

when i was on it , i just couldn't function .

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Hi Paul,

Did ask her if there was a connection to gabapentin yesterday, her answer was vague at best. Shocking I know! She said it could be a side effect (given there's so many), or a result of a compromised immune system, allergies to the environment or a combination of all three! So no definates, that's a definate! Guess it's another thing we will have to put up with. She switched me over to amitriptyline again. Tried it before but made me like the walking dead the next day. However gaba isn't cutting it anymore so hope my tolerance is better this time round. Will be interested to see if the sniffles stop...

Lala, with Amitriptyline, make sure you take the dose 12 hours before you intend to get up the next day. This will help avoid zombyism the next day. :mummy:

:moonieman:

• Like 2

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

lala

Did you have the sniffles before gabapentin?

looking back , i certainly did , i moved onto pregabalin months ago ,

and it much better than gabapentin , i can't won't take amitriptyline ,

when i was on it , i just couldn't function .

I didn't really want it either Mal, having tried it before. But that was all she would offer me! Can't have pregablin as I come out in hives, and according to her nothing else is 'licenced' for ms. Not sure she's right, so will try it and if I become a zombie again will ask the neuros opinion.

Lala, with Amitriptyline, make sure you take the dose 12 hours before you intend to get up the next day. This will help avoid zombyism the next day. :mummy

I did this last time, but made very little difference! I'm hoping my body is more used to these heavy drugs now and it will be more manageable - two children and zombie mum are not a good mix!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Pregabalin and gabapentin to become Class C drugs

This news appeared a couple of days ago, and sounds like it will be bad news for many MSers.   “Gabapentinoids are set to become controlled drugs, after a spike in the number of related deaths and series of studies warning about the adverse effects of the medication.” From: Pregabalin and gabapentin set to become controlled drugs http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical/more-clinical-areas/pain-relief/pregabalin-and-gabapentin-set-to-become-controlled-drugs/20035333.article   and   “The government has now accepted in principle that pregabalin should be reclassified as a class C controlled substance, which would mean patients could not obtain a repeat prescription.” “It would mean the drug could not be repeat-dispensed and prescriptions would only be valid for one month.” From: Pregabalin, known as 'new valium', to be made class C drug after deaths https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/sep/21/pregabalin-new-valium-class-c-drug-deaths   How will this affect the many of you who take pregabalin or gabapentin?

in General Discussion about MS

• The switch from Gabapentin to Pregablin

I wonder if any of you can advise, do I need to work down off Gabapentin completely before starting Pregablin or can I just switch? Doctor didn't advise. I have gradually reduced down from1800mg Gabapentin to 900 but don't know if I need to work all the way down first?   Edited by Scully to include tags.

• Gabapentin

Hi,   I gave in and went back to the doctor today. The pain and muscle tightness in my legs and feet is causing problems day to day but also this burning pain in my ankle is really getting to me, getting worse and starting to keep me awake at night.   I couldn't narrow it down to any particular cause and it appears and disappears, sometimes lasting hours sometimes minutes and in between - nothing. Of course when I got to the doctor, although it had been on and off all day, there was nothing but he prodded and asked lots of questions and ruled out injury or muscle/tendon problem.   So I agreed to go on Gabapentin on top of the Amytriptline.   Does anyone else take this? Have you found it effective? Any side effects?   Thanks as always.   Katie   Edited to include tags to other topic links

• Gabapentin to Pregabalin switch, my experience

Hello All,   I've been on Gabapentin (Neurotin) for several years to try and control pain. Yo-yoing with the dose, depending on how good or, mainly bad the pain was.   Last year I developed Trigeminal Neuralgia. Quite the worst and excruciating pain I've ever experienced. On instruction from the GP, I hiked the Gabaoentin dose to almost 3000mg a day. After a few weeks I gradually reduced the dose, once the T.N. Was under control and had receded, for how long of course we don't know.   Of late, the leg and arm pain was quite debilitating, read 'bloody painful, and even at a daily intake of some 2300mg a day, the pain was out of control.   I sought the GP out and told him I didn't think the Gabapentin was working as well as it used to. Long conversation followed and he suggested Pregabalin (Lyrica). He also said that because Pregabalin was some 6 times more expensive than Gabapentin, he would have to clear it with the District Pharmacist !!   Thankfully the GP put my case, empathising that my pain levels were no longer under control and I'd tried Gabapentin for some years and it was approved.   It got complicated inasmuch as one can't just stop Gabapentin, it has to be reduced slowly..and...at the same time, Pregabalin needed to be introduced slowly too.   I had to write down the daily reducing doses of Gabapentin and the increasing doses of Pregabalin it was so difficult to remember how many mg's of what!   So, Gabapentin in no longer in my 'drug cocktail' and I'm almost up to the full dose of Pregabalin.   The first full dose of Pregabalin , which was 150mg's found me, within an hour, almost pain free!...hurrah.......downside was that I wasn't absolutely sure who the hell I was, balance was not great and tiredness was an issue for a while.   I have to say that so far, I'm pleased with the switchover, my intense pain is absolutely under control, and the side effects are slowly wearing off.   Moral of the story 1. Don't be afraid to tell the GP if something no longer seems to work. 2. Put your case for a more expensive drug clearly and concisely. 3. Plough on through the side effects   The results may surprise you and, more importantly ....I can at last.....get rid of my 'In Pain' avatar ..Hurrah for Pregabalin.   Scully x

• Gabapentin and Male orientated side effects

I was doing ok on Gabapentin, but still had some pain, so I upped the dose to the max my neurologist suggested. Not high, only 3 x 300mg. Initially all seemed to be great, the pain went and I actually felt quite good.   BUT, I did find yoga becoming harder. Things i could manage I was having ti wimp out of. Both endurance and strength seems to have suffered.   Now here comes the delicate, man related, bit. It seems to have taken the wind out of my sails a bit. It billows but the breeze is soon lost. Now it used to be a sail full of storm force 9, sustained. To be less coy, a not particularly spectacular erection that soon dissipates. The end result is a bit half arsed too. This was NEVER the case.   OK, it could just be MS but i suspect Gabapentin. Anyone else had a similar experience that they can pin down to this drug?   I have backed off the dose to see if normality is restored? Hell, what's a bit if pain.

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.