The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
hoytfreak

Outdoors

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

hoytfreak

Are any of You outdoorsy types? I enjoy fishing and love bow hunting I also go out on the atv. My sons (3) go out with me too but one at a time unless it's fishing and then we all go in the boat

• Like 1

Sleepy
Scully

Hello,

I used to be a sailor! As a qualified Yachtmaster I used to deliver yachts all over the world. From modest 40 feet 'plastic fantastic' fibreglass jobs, to 100 feet, million quid, steel and wooden classics.

Those days are behind me now as it's just too physical to be able to do.

I miss it of course,all those trips, 'working' in the Carribean,messing about on boats ! But I'm grateful that I had th chance to do all those things.

Scully

post-1212-0-15089100-1402812594_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

The Dragonfly

Hi,

I grew up in the big outdoors. We used to go camping a lot. Rath Trevor (can't remember where this was), Tofino and Sidney Spit. And Salts Spring Island.

We brushed our teeth out of a cup filled with water. Smores was a must over the camp fire. Loved it.

My dad has a boat and just love bobbing over the waves with our fishing poles.

Every summer since my teens, my folks have rented a house at Shawnigan Lake. Some were rustic cabins. The last 18 years they've rented the same place. Private beach and is just bliss. We invite so many people up, we all end up sleeping where we can find the space. We went back to Canada for a visit in 2012, I was just going through all the tests for MS. I went water skiing and jet skiing. Love how fast I went and didn't care how much pain I was in. . Hopefully we can go back again next summer.

How often do you get back to Vancouver, Scully? And Hoytfreak, have you been out in Western Canada? Farthest east I've been is Toronto. I'd love to go across Canada, starting in the east.

Thanx for this memory lane, it's never far from my mind.

Jen x

Edited by The Dragonfly

Rama

Hi,

I used to be very outdoorsy! Was a very keen hill walker and, living in Scotland, was busy 'bagging all the Munro's'. Alas I had to stop just short of my 200th Munro. Had I known MS was going to cut my hill walking short I would have tried harder to get them all climbed.

Also used to do a lot of horse riding. Helped out a friend who ran stables - took clients on a 7 day trek from Fort William to Inverary. Riding 6 - 8 hours a day, looking after up to 15 horses. Hard work but I loved every minute.

Also did lots of camping, mainly wild camping at the bottom of hills we were planning on climbing next day.

Have been trekking in the Atlas hills in Morocco and trekking in Nepal. Fabulous! Did a little walking in Canada, up to Lake Louise and in the Rockies.

Unfortunately I am unable to do any of this now. Although I am considering loading the tent on the back of my mobility scooter and heading out into the wilds again!! Wonder how far I could get.

Gill x

Edited by Rama
  • Like 2

hoytfreak

The furthest west I've been was Toronto and I didn't like the city. I worked a few months in northern Maine logging. Now I work underground but I love the woods and spend alot of time there.

• Like 1

Sleepy
Scully

I don't get back to Vancouver as much as I'd like. Particularly as I still have two elder ( and they tell me wiser) brothers back there!

Love the west coast of Canada. Vancouver, Victoria, Whisler were all in my 'back yard' so to speak.

Think I may just be prompted to arrange a vist and catch up with all the friends and family!

Scully

x

• Like 1

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Mal

Would love to spend more time outdoors , exploring and taking photos ,

but the ole fatigue is stopping me :(