The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Skylark

Can you have lesions in your enteric nervous system?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Skylark

I've recently learned about the existence of our 'second brain' aka the enteric nervous system (inside our digestive system).

I'm currently reading 'Digestive Intelligence' by Irina Matveikova, M.D. and it suddenly occurred to me to ask if you can have lesions in the neural network of the gut and if so, perhaps this is why MRI's of the head and spine sometimes miss MS when symptoms are clearly present?

I'm no scientist but I wondered if anyine here could answer this question or direct it to someone who could?

Sleepy
Scully

Never heard of this to be honest!

I did a quick search but didn't reveal too much other than some hefty medical extracts, which I don't begin to understand.

One here for example http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3235587/

If you plough through the first couple of pages it does mention enteric lesions

I think you will need to wait for your neurologists appointment. I think, that if these enteric lesions were well understood, then it would be looked into at the time of diagnosis for many? Maybe not.

Impressed with your reading lists !!! I read a lot but mostly novels for relaxation.

Scully

x

Edited by Scully
  • Like 2

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Crafty Cow

I can see where you are coming from with this one, but my understanding would be that it might be classed as peripheral nerves as it's separate from the brain and spinal cord and communicates with the central nervous system with the vagus nerve, so any lesions wouldn't actually be in the central nervous system as such. It makes sense though how children can suffer stomach migraines though.

Interesting reading.

Sam x

• Like 3

Follow me, you can follow me....and I, I will not desert you..............

Skippysprite

Sorry, have no idea on this one, but perhaps ask the neuro, would be interested in their reply.

Pam

Live for today.......never have regrets

Mal

Yes you can , just google enteric nervous system lesions and you will

find lots of studies , mostly to do with Parkinson's disease

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Long covid and the immune system

Hello everyone......have you heard the news about long covid? The scientists have found a trigger in the immune system which is involved in this reaction. Hmmm, sounds like this is something closely related to the development of ms 🙄 Lets hope they think laterally.

in General Discussion about MS

• BioNTech Vaccine Treats MS in Mice Without Dampening Immune System

This is very early days, but might offer some hope for the future?   BioNTech Vaccine Treats MS in Mice Without Dampening Immune System MULTIPLESCLEROSISNEWSTODAY.COM BioNTech’s experimental non-inflammatory vaccine — designed to dampen the abnormal immune responses seen in multiple sclerosis (MS) against myelin — delayed the onset and...  

• More benefit changes to PIP system

Hello All,   As if we haven't got enough to cope with...the government whO are still trying to claw back money are hitting us disabled people again!   They did a U turn on the tax credit, so think it's a case of 'let's hit the disabled mob again'   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35793004   Think it's disgraceful   Scully  

• New and nervous

Hi everyone,   I'm new to this forum but have joined due to having just been referred to a neurologist and not knowing what to expect. My current symptoms are: Tremors (my primary symptom) - absent at rest, but present when I am active and worsen when I am stressed, tired, feeling hot
      Muscle twitching/spasms - mainly my left shoulder makes a shrugging motion, and I'm finding other muscles (in my legs/hands) spasm if I am over-exerting them
      Visual disturbances - I've been to the local optician who says there's nothing wrong - but I'm getting flashes usually in my peripheral vision which draws my attention and makes me look round to see what it was - also seeing "floaters"
      Bladder issues - feeling a SUDDEN need to go but then not a lot happens / or really having to strain to get anything / or going but bladder still feeling full
      Loss of concentration in the middle of a task - usually leading me to have several tasks (like washing the dishes etc) started but then I'll forget what I'm doing and walk off and remember about it later
      Pins and needles in my right hand - only lasted a couple of hours
      Keep going over my right ankle
      Balance is terrible and I keep falling to the side
      Migraines - I have never been prone to these but have several in the last year, starting with blurry patches in my vision, and with pain severe enough to cause vomiting and where I have no option but to try and sleep
      I have had two occasions in the last few months where I was trying to do something fiddly (one where I was trying to turn over the pieces in a jigsaw) but I couldn't get my fingers to co-operate! Very frustrating and also a bit frightening.
      Does anyone have an idea what this is? Is it similar to MS? I don't know anyone personally with MS who I can ask.   My GP, who only really knows about the tremors and visual disturbances, has referred me to the Neurologist and I am awaiting my first appointment with them. What can I expect to happen? I'm scared I'll forget to tell them something or end up just completely wasting their time.   Thanks for any information/advice you can give me...

• Lesions

sorry to be a nosey git but was wondering about these lesions.............i know symptoms are individual the person but can u get them anywhere in/on the brain area.......say would u all have same symptoms if it were the frontal lobe area?? which if i am correct is where the cognition thing comes in or am I wrong.......just trying to get an understanding of effects of lesions in/on the brain and certain areas of the brain???

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.