The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
lancelot

Fatigue and work

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

lancelot

The fatigue does it/can it get so bad u are unable to continue working? Also what is night cramps in the legs a sign of?? again just trying to learn some stuff, Yea it can be read about but been warned the stuff on the web

Procrastinating
Stumbler

There's a range of publications here :- http://www.mstrust.org.uk/publications/publications-for-people-with-ms.jsp ,which will answer a lot of your questions.

There is decent information on the internet as long as it's from a creditable source. The MS Trust is one of the good sites. :wink2:

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

lancelot

ah mr stumbler lol cheers bud as always fully informed and well read eh buddy. There is some right old rubbish on the net. could really give folks a fright

Sleepy
Scully

Lancelot,

Yes, definitely be careful with unsolicited information on the web. Yes, you could scare the pants off yourself for sure.

The MS Society http://www.mssociety.org.uk

Or

The MS Trust http://www.mstrust.org.uk

Or

There is a lot of information on here too

http://ms-people.com/forum/links/

You will find all the resources you should need.

Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

lancelot

thank u scully

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Fatigue

Fatigue research
      So I got to thinking. Given that MS fatigue is the most complained about symptom, why are more bespoke treatments for MS fatigue not a huge priority? Most MS fatigue treatments are usually originally made for other diseases, ie: Modafinil was originally used to help narcolepsy.   I think we deserve a fatigue treatment totally dedicated to MS, (or a defined combination of the best suitable treatments available), it makes sense. My life is ruined by fatigue and, according to statistics, it will become progressively worse. I don’t feel that MS fatigue is taken seriously enough.   “I’m utterly exhausted.” Oh that’s a very common symptom of MS, nearly everyone gets it... Why isn’t there more urgent research and/or solutions to such a massive life limiting symptom? Where is my quality of life?
      Also, on American forums, (using just one example), huge success treating fatigue has been attributed to the combination of Adderall with Modafinil, Adderall is of course is not prescribed in this country for fatigue. I have spoken to lots of people who say their life has been transformed by the combination, and they get up before 9 am and stay awake all day with no sleeping! They feel normal!
      To my mind, the MS Societies should use their might to collate and evaluate all the different methods for treating fatigue globally, and pass the vital results on to us and our doctors. After all, is knowledge not power? My fatigue is destroying my life and I think the MS Websites should address this crippling affliction more.   It’s 2020, why on earth with all the research, donations and medical advancements available in the world am I not awake? It’s a basic but essential right of life to be awake. It seems RIDICULOUS! Yet we are left to suffer and just get on with it?   Can we all please rise up and demand bespoke treatment/research for the treatment of MS fatigue specifically? This is no way being taken seriously enough by any of the MS website organisers and it beggars belief that MS related fatigue has no new drugs or any form of possible bespoke treatment soon to be available, even on the horizon. WHY? Do we not count?   I beg you, let’s revolt and end the suffering.  

in General Discussion about MS

• MS Fatigue or Carbon Monoxide?

I’ve had fatigue for years. For at least the past year, if not longer, I’ve been feeling more and more tired, and lethargic and apathetic.   Last week, my heating broke down. I was extremely lucky to find an excellent plumber, the best I’ve ever had, and he fixed it. The problem wasn't with the boiler but he was a bit dubious about the boiler, as he has a 6th sense when things might go wrong and he advised me to get a carbon monoxide monitor (which, in itself, got me a bit worried). I got one, with a digital display so that I could see the pp levels, and set it up the night before last.   Yesterday, the monitor’s alarm went off... To test it, to make sure it wasn’t a one-off false alarm with a new monitor, I turned the boiler off for the night (to be on the safe side whilst sleeping) and then turned it on again this morning. Within an hour or two, the monitor’s alarm went off again. So I’ve now had to turn the boiler off permanently till the plumber returns and I'll most likely need a new boiler - wrong time of year for this sort of thing, though!   The CO level wasn’t super high when it triggered the alarm, at 99pp and 102pp, but was higher than the “safe enough” levels of 35-50pp, hence the alarm being triggered. Edit: in-between alarms, the readings tended to be between 20 and 49pp.   Symptoms of CO poisoning include those we can get with MS, such as fatigue, tiredness, dizziness, headaches, even neuropathic pain, and non-MS symptoms like nausea. (I should maybe find a suitable link to add to “Conditions that are similar to, linked to, or mimic MS” in our Resources)   I now don’t know how long the CO levels from my boiler have been too high, and I don’t know if my worsening fatigue and lethargy are due to MS or to CO!   So, if you don’t have a CO monitor, I’d advise to get one! (The one I got was a FireAngel CO-9D)   This is a handy link showing CO levels and at what levels symptoms can occur:   Carbon monoxide Levels that Sound the Alarm | Kidde WWW.KIDDE.COM What are the carbon monoxide levels that will sound the alarm?  

• MS and the ability to work....I am at a crossroads.

Hi All,   Thank you for letting me join the forum.   Very quickly about me..... I am Male, 44
      Diagnosed with RRMS in 2009
      Married with 2 kids
      History of numbness and neuropathic pain - tried many things but nothing ever dents it
      Getting a little worried about my future!!!
      And so this is where my story begins. I am lucky, with the exception of constant pain for the last 12 years in my hands, a limited amount of balance issues and some reproductive problems, I feel like I have gotten off with my condition so far. I take Gilenya daily following a drug trial and things seem stable.   I am employed, I work full time in an active role, I am the only person working for the company that employs me based in the UK. I run up and down the UK, drive lots of miles, run around building sites, up ladders, into lofts and its a very physically demanding role. I havce never told my employer I have MS.   But....I have noticed a decline recently, not one that can be understood by many unless you have this condition but I am finding the physical side more and more demanding. I am feeling that my symptoms are getting worse and it will get to a point where I will feel I am putting myself and others in danger if I carry on.   My job is all I know and I am getting to the point where I need to consider whether I can do it or not. I am also considering registering myself as being disabled.   So I need to make a plan in life. What happens next? I know that unless I do the job I do with my current employer, there is no other job for me. I am their man in the UK and there is no desk job equivelent. All I know is the travelling and managing that I do. Also, I earn a good wage, very good, and if there are to be changes in my life then I dont want to scarifice my earning potential to do it. I have all those great things that a guy at my age has...mortgage etc.   I have done nothing so far, other than join this forum and tap into the experience of others whoi may have some sage advice or guidance from me.   I hope there is some help out there and I am also looking forward to helping others if I can!!!   Thanks in advance.   Mike

• My first question - work

Okay, so I haven't been diagnosed yet. I have a mass on my forth ventricle that was described as a lesion, and I've just been referred back to neurology for more tests as, after ruling out other things, my GP (who is very interested in neurology herself) thinks I could have MS.   What ever it is, I'm definitely having some sort of attack. I've always hurt and had symptoms but since Saturday it's been unbearable. It was really warm on Saturday and I was in the sun a lot. I know the heat affects me.   So, aside from the usual pain and such, it's the exhaustion that's getting me. I haven't done anything yet I just feel no energy.   So, I run two businesses. I'm a private tutor (which is great because I work in the evenings). And I own a company that makes resources for maths teachers. I'm trying to make new stuff and I've sat here for a few hours trying to force myself. I've done maybe 1/8th of the work I can normally do when focussed. And I've done nothing since Saturday. So I'm very behind on the work I wanted to get done.   Please tell me this is temporary.   And, if this is MS, well, am I doing more harm?   Basically I am someone who keeps going. I've been known to be in tears from pain but still working, crying while I carry on writing because I want to finish what I'm doing. Even though I make slow progress, and stare at the screen for half an hour doing nothing, I'll still try to keep persevering.   Is that the wrong thing to do? I've noticed a lot of the symptoms come on after a busy month or so. But I can't afford to keep taking whole days or even weeks doing nothing. But I also need to pace myself, and I don't want to find out that my pushing through might actually be making things worse.   Just wondered how others cope, and whether you still work?    

• MS Blog- Battling fatigue

Hey guys I wrote a new blog post about how to battle fatigue. I hope it is helpful to you all.   http://multiplesclerosis-life.blogspot.co.uk/2015_12_01_archive.html   Thanks, Sarah.

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.