The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Skylark

Mobility Scooter advice please!

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Skylark

The most challenging aspect of my situation ( FND with CFS but going back to neuro next month questioning MS again) is the fatigue.

I'm in my forties with a young daughter at primary school. I don't drive (never learned) and am no longer able to safely ride my bike, so the two mile round trip to school has become a disadvantage to my health.

So...I'm seriously thinking about getting a mobility scooter. I love the walk there and back but by the end of the week my symptoms have got worse, my legs turn to lead and the council must have re-surfaced the path in rice pudding! I just need help on the afternoon school run and during the rough weeks. I need to keep walking (with my trusty stick) but I'm tired of getting so tired from something I used to do with ease.

I still have a few weeks to wait before my CFS therapy and my 2nd neuro appointment but I can't wait. So I'm going to test-drive some tomorrow. Any tips?

Nick

Hi Skylark.

A lot of things to consider!!! I have been using a scooter for a couple of years now. I suppose the first thing to understand is the limitations of capability for a specific use. For example some scooters are light, compact and come apart to go into the boot of a car for transport between places. This makes them handy for some people but has the disadvatage of limited range and limited speed. Other scooters are bigger have better range and speed but are not designed for being transported in the car.

So a small compact 4mph machine might not suit a regular 2 mile trip , nor do it very comfortably. A bigger machine doing a possible 8mph and with suspension would do the same trip with ease. So range and speed are important for the specific requirements you have in mind. However there is also the matter of precisely what you want to do. A large fast scooter is not very suitable for confined spaces such as a supermarket. You also need to think of just where you are going to keep the scooter. have you got room for it at home?

Yet another aspect is ground clearance. The better this is the better the scooter can get over uneven ground. Very small scooters can't for example, go over a small curb. A big scooter will do that easily but may be a bit too big for easy use along a narrow pavement.

There is a huge range of scooters from the massive impressive things to the tiny and light weight. To get an idea it may be worth joining a local 'Shopmobility' scheme, where you can hire a scooter for the day; see here ( http://www.shopmobilityuk.org ) This might give you a better feel for scooters before you buy one.

I have an electric mobility liteway 8 http://www.electricmobility.co.uk/products/liteway-8/10/

This, like any scooter has limitations but is unusual in that you can put it in the car and yet it still has speed and comfort, is compact and I regally use it for a 3 mile journey as well as shorter trips along footpaths. Ground clearance is just about good enough but sometimes I can get stuck.

Lastly, if you get a scooter do get insurance.

Hope that is some help for you

Nick

Edited by Nick
  • Like 4

Just another Warrior...........

derby42

Hi from me too

I got a rascal liteway 8 recently. Very good advice from nick and i can't add to it. Nick gap the 4 and i have the 8. The 8 will do up to 8 miles an hour and i specifically got this because my hubby and kids enjoy bike rides and i wanted to keep up. According to the man at the shop it's the only one in the UK that will do this speed AND go into the boot of a car. I would recommend it.

• Like 2

derby x

Nick

AND its smart! without the 'old lady' basket on the front !!!! Anyway do look for how YOU will use it and do try out different models. By the way mine is actually the '6' version which does 6mph. I could not afford a new one but got a nearly new one after a long search. Buying secondhand can have it's pitfalls regarding batteries, as these may only last around 3 years. Getting the batteries replaced however is often a simple matter but the cost needs to be considered. That said my own scooter is now at least 5 years old and still has the original batteries. I take great care in the way I charge them up, each time I use the scooter and always switch off the charger when fully charged.

• Like 1

Skylark

Thanks for all your advice! I'd already looked at loads before I started this post and you both helped me to ask the right questions in the shop - a small,local family business with really good service (they'll even come to the rescue should you happen to break down within shop hours).

So...I ended up getting a second hand Electromotion SuperGlide. 4mph as I don't feel that I would be safe enough on the road. He checked why I was asking for one and if I would be safe to use one. It has really good ground clearance but isn't too massive and a tested battery. It is getting a full service and charge before being delivered on Thursday.

Wow. That was a major decision! Another step towards accepting that my health has changed *and* actively dealing with it.

derby42

Sorry nick lol

derby x

Nick

Skylark,

That's brilliant! A lot of us really get to love the help a scooter provides and a bit like riding a bicycle, the joy comes from simply being out and about and seeing the world from a different perspective.

• Like 2

derby42

It took me a long time to get used to use idea but nick's right, it beats not doing anything. I have young children too but they don't really notice that mummy's different because of a chair. I walk at home albeit wobbly and i dictate and i shout a lot usually but they seem happy kids because I love them and they know that. I have 2 in primary and one in nursery and I'm 44. I waffle too much too.

• Like 2

derby x

Skylark

Derby, my daughter has been great about this. I have to use my loud voice too, sometimes, but laying down the law is just part of motherhood! She always wants to ride on my lap when I use my wheelchair and is eager to use the scooter (not on the school run though!)

I'm a bit nervous about turning up at school with it but have told a few mummy friends and know where I'm going to park it.

Skylark

My scooter arrived today and had its first journey with me. It was really quite easy to use and I'm sure I felt the difference this evening from *not* having walked two miles. I'm very glad that I went for it!

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Well done. There's no bigger obstacles than the ones that we mentally place in front of ourselves. :thumbsup:

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"