The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
derby42

pregabalin and sativex

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

derby42

Hi everyone

I'm not feeling great, had my 4th tysabri infusion on Thursday but not noticed any difference yet. I gave up baclofen cos I didn't like it and now I've reduced my Gabapentin to just 200 mg a day then tomorrow it'll be just 100 a day for 2 days then off it. Then I have to start pregabalion starting low and building up.

I'm still confused though, do I go up to full strength and then see if it works or do I stop when it does work and not bother with the sativex or might I still benefit from sativex in conjuction with the pregabalin at a lower dose?

I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Is anyone else taking more than one of these?

derby x

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Derby,

I didn't have to come completely off gabapentin before starting Pregabalin. Once I got to the lower dose, I started on a low dose of Pregablin till the gabapentin was gone and Pregablin dose was increasing.

As I've said before Pregabalin was a revelation, worked quickly. But you do, as with all drugs, you do need give them a fair trial, at least a month, before giving them up. They take time to work and time for any side effects to wear off.

A lot of these drugs do 'mix and match' , neurologists and doctors' wouldn't prescribe them of make these suggestions if they didn't.

It's a case of finding the right dose for you, which may be different from the dose that is correct for me, or anyone else. I, and I susoect mnay of us here, go up and down the doses depending on what suits us, even on a day to day basis.

Scully

x

Edited by Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

derby42

Im starting it today scully. Nervous as always but gp said I can start on 50 mg once a day and work up from there.

I haven't walked since I began on the baclofen and now I'm in a state of fear.

derby x

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Pregabalin now a controlled drug

I received letter from my doctor this week, informing me that my pregabalin (and gabapentin) are now on the controlled drugs list. I will only be able to get 4 weeks supply at once instead of the usual two months I had been picking up. Not the end of the world, but a major inconvenience.   But what the hell! Why on earth are these now controlled drugs? You are not going to get high on them.   PaulX

in General Discussion about MS

• Sativex and spasticity

I am taking Sativex and after taking it for only a few days I saw a reduction in burning pain, spasms, skin pain and deep pain and after a couple of weeks I was pain free which was great.  I do also have a pump delivering a low dose of Baclofen which was not helping those pains but is still working for other pain.  Because I am very allergic to oral Baclofen and it was no longer helping pains it had previously helped, I wanted to replace it with Sativex.  However while I was taking Baclofen together with Sativex the spasticity was reduced in both my back and legs.  However as soon as I started reducing the Baclofen the spasticity increased noticeably even though I had increased the Sativex to 7 sprays.  I was hoping to find someone who was successfully using Sativex to reduce Spasticity.   THANKS.  TRISH

• Pregabalin and gabapentin to become Class C drugs

This news appeared a couple of days ago, and sounds like it will be bad news for many MSers.   “Gabapentinoids are set to become controlled drugs, after a spike in the number of related deaths and series of studies warning about the adverse effects of the medication.” From: Pregabalin and gabapentin set to become controlled drugs http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical/more-clinical-areas/pain-relief/pregabalin-and-gabapentin-set-to-become-controlled-drugs/20035333.article   and   “The government has now accepted in principle that pregabalin should be reclassified as a class C controlled substance, which would mean patients could not obtain a repeat prescription.” “It would mean the drug could not be repeat-dispensed and prescriptions would only be valid for one month.” From: Pregabalin, known as 'new valium', to be made class C drug after deaths https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/sep/21/pregabalin-new-valium-class-c-drug-deaths   How will this affect the many of you who take pregabalin or gabapentin?

• sativex spray

hi new here can anyone tell me if they have brought sativex spray from this site please? www.sativexspray.co.uk

• Petition - Make Sativex to be widely available for MS - Will you sign it ?

Before my petition can be go live on https://petition.parliament.uk I need 4 more people to support my petition. please click on this link to support my petition https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/111992/sponsors/ufHX7HYzS1cxEjJ... ​ My petition: Sativex to be Widely Available for MS Suffers This petition is to ask the goverment to make Sativex widely available to people who have Multiple Sclerosis (MS) to ease the symptoms of MS spasticity, spasticity can have a significant impact on daily activities. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28810407 The NHS in Wales is first in the UK to fund a cannabis-based medicine for people with multiple sclerosis.

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.