The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
nevaeh20

ms symptoms, Low vitamin D and failed pupil light test

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

nevaeh20

Hi everyone,

Ill try abd making this short, basically iv been experiencing multiple sclerosis symptoms for a while since igave birth. It started with off balance, neuralgia and pain behind my eyes. It then went on to muscle stiffness, twitching of the eyes and many more. I had an appointment yesterday with a private neutologist who didnt say very much abouy my symptoms, but when he did a neurological examination he said my right eye, where the pain is on movement, was slow in reacting to the light test. My pupil stayed small on right eye and took a while to retur to normal. He recommeneded a a MRI in my kneck, head and spine with contrast and left itst that. My vitamin D levels are also way below nor al guide lines, so on 60,000 prD tablets a week, but my questikn is, is the pupil examination a sign of ms in itself?

Sleepy
Scully

Hello, and welcome.

( I've moved your post to the 'Introduce Yourself' section, I hope you don't mind )

Your question is quite a difficult one to answer.

MS is an extremely complex condition. It's symptoms overlap with many, often minor, some not to minor conditions.

Even neurologists can take many weeks or months to reach a diagnosis. The reason being, there is no single symptom, no single test that can diagnose MS.

Even with a highly suggestive examination, and a highly suggestive MRI result, neurologists can still be left with an array of tests to finally reach a diagnosis. It's actually a question of ruling conditions or diseases out, and being left with MS in fact.

You are on the right route thank goodness. You've seen a neurologist, and he's ordered a thorough MRI examination which will hopefully give him some clues at least as to what is going on. Please don't be surprised if, after the MRI he wants more tests, such as Visual Evoked Potentials done as well.

Please do let us know how you get on.

Scully

• Like 1

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Mal

Hi nevaeh

and welcome to the forum

the examination of the eye is not really enough , as it could be

an indication of many different other things

but you are on the right track with an MRI,

wish you the best

Mal

nevaeh20

Thankyou for your replies, iv basically had two major incidences where I have been really unwell after giving birth jn the last two years, bad neuralgia, unable to wall with stiff legs and ten weeks of the room being on a tilt and swaying. A few otjer niggles, twitching of eyes and cheek, all one after the other, theres a few concerns of ms, over past 4 weeks my eyes have gone from pupils being ok to now not responding to the light, its really stressing me out and scaring me thay it could be ms or tuma. Is the pupil test sometimes a indicator to ms?

Sleepy
Scully

Hello again,

The slow or sluggish pupils can be an indicator of many things, not just MS. There is a condition called Optic Neuritis that can also be a symptoms of MS, but this is usually a complete loss of sight in one or both eyes.

There's not much you can do until your MRI is done, reported on, and your neurologist can talk through the results with you. There are no short cuts to the process unfortunately.

Being stressed and endless worrying won't help the situation at all. You need to try and relax a bit. Maybe try and chase up the MRI's. If you were seen privately, then the MRI shouldn't be too long, ( MRI'S are an expensive test if you aren't covered for it ) but it's the only way your Neurologst can have some clue as to what is going on.

Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Dx with low vitamin D

Well, yes, it's winter and I live in the North where it's colder than most of the rest of the country.   Walking the dog I have to cover up, usually bar my hands and face.  Out shopping, ditto.  Feather filled long coat with hood and deep pockets is my new winter coat and I love it.     Gp has given me a supply with a message to fend for myself after - I have D3 in now.  The capsules she's given me are 20,0000 unit each 2 to be taken once a week - I must be really low.     I don't drink a lot of milk, only at weekends do I have a jug with a large pot of decaf coffee both days in the morning.  I eat cheese but not every week.  I eat almonds, and leafy veg, but my nails are rubbish and always have been.    This might have been going on for some time.     Last blood test I had was 15 years ago and in summer.  Vit D probably sky high from me being in the garden all the time.     Should I ask for a review after, say six months to see if the Vit D is sticking?  I know it does not for some.          

in General Discussion about MS

• Onslaught of new symptoms?

Hi, first time here. Have had relapse remitting MS for about 20yrs and after a tricky start despite the odd flare up have had very few major issues for around 15yrs. Last year or so I have had the feeling of lots of minor increases in symptoms/ mini flare ups but in the last few months I have seen a massive increase in pain, cognitive issues, fatigue etc that just seem relentless. Have undergone a variety of tests (unrelated to MS) all of which come back as without issue and GP’s current best guess is depression and or IBS. I don’t feel depressed but I am in constant pain which is sapping my energy now. MS nurse is trying to get a consultant to see me (last few yrs all appointments have been phone calls only). Anyone have any words of wisdom or comfort 

• More new symptoms...experience/advice?

Hi all. Hope everyone is doing as okay as can be! I've had these new symptoms for about .. 2-3 months now.. they're driving me insane.. My jaw/teeth clenching together. I'm not knowingly doing it. Just happens. Starting to really hurt my jaw and teeth from the strain and pressure of it. Also my eyes have been automatically squeezing closed. Sort of a similar feeling to when cutting onions (minus the tears and stinging) but that urge to squeeze the eyes shut. Does anyone else experience these? Thank you!

• Why heat causes or exacerbates MS symptoms

Here’s an explanation about heat sensitivity and raised body temperature in MS.   Heat – Multiple Sclerosis Research Blog MULTIPLE-SCLEROSIS-RESEARCH.ORG My thoughts are for our readers with MS who are having to live through and cope with the latest heatwave. The BBC has just reported that this is the hottest late August bank holiday on...   I must admit that I didn’t stop to think that the heat of this weekend is why I’ve been saying my vision seems blurrier than usual! Doh..!  

• Blood test for thyroid function on Monday.

Hi all.     My perimenopause has now been chugging along for twelve miserable years.  It's not fair. I've had depression (thyroid tick), palpitations, breast cysts, low thoughts, super dry skin (thyroid tick), yellow thick skin on my feet (thyroid tick), super heavy menses (thyroid tick) and my hair is falling out approx twice as fast as it used to (thyroid tick), weight gain (thyroid tick) and severe sleep disturbance but also all of these things bar the very dry skin type perfectly well for a lack of fertility hormones, so I'm being tested for that too. And anaemia for the super heavy menses, I must be losing a few pints a month, no kidding.     There is a link between hypothyroidism and MS I know.  Is there a blood marker for MS related to the thyroid?    

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.