The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
LittleBlue

Crunchy neck

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

LittleBlue

As usual, I'm doing the MS or not MS symptom thing, my neck is very noisy. Crunchy and clicky and if I lie on the floor on my front to watch TV resting on a cushion, it is much worse.

It has certainly got worse in the last two years, and I'm going to ask my GP about it, but I thought I'd ask here first.

many thanks

LB x

Nick

Sounds like a job for the Physio'! I find that my mobility generally is hard to keep in shape and have in the past had the very trouble you mention. Posture is also important when you are sitting down. Exercises for the neck may be the answer.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/exercises-to-manage-pain/neck-pain-exercises.aspx

Nick

Just another Warrior...........

Lindylou

I get a crunchy neck and it also gets stiff and painful then sometimes it causes a bad migraine.

It does come and go, Nothing has ever shown up on an x-ray so I suppose it could be ms related?

Linda x

jayjill

Hello little blue, yes I think it's a good idea to ask GP, and referral to physio may help by providing helpful exercises. I have a stiff and painful neck and physio suggested it is cervical spondylosis. It gets hot too. I think the condition is age related brought on by immobility of the neck over the years (things like having to work on a computer, whatever your work - I was a social worker). So get some advice and get it moving! Hope you find something that works well for you. Jill x

Sluggish
Marina

I have cervical spondylitis... or maybe it's spondylosis, I forget whilst I don't have the DX notes at hand. An MRI confirmed it. I had some physio where she put some kind of machine on my shoulders, over several visits, which really helped. I get much less pain from it now.

But, my neck also gets painful a few hours before an attack of my atypical TN hits me. At those times, I can't bear anything round my neck or shoulders. I end up tugging my clothes, trying to lighten the weight round my neck, as any form of collar feels like a lead necklace. No shawl collared dressing gowns for me!

Years ago, before I had the cervical spondylitis but when I already some neck pain, I got a Tempur pillow, the one that's like a normal pillow not the hard pre-shaped one. I found it made a world of difference, and have been using one ever since (having got newer ones over the years). I couldn't be without it now.

All that said, apparently neck pain can sometimes be due to problems with teeth. You might want to check that all's well with your teeth and bite.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

LittleBlue

Thanks all, Marina that's exactly how I feel! I bought a lovely dress in summer but it was halter neck and I ended up having to get changed it was so painful!

You're all stars as usual. xx

derby42

Ive had it on and off too I think its a posture thing too and worsened by stress

derby x

LittleBlue

Hey Derby42, that also sounds like me. I am *the* stress monkey. Really struggling with that at present...done CBT and stuff but my anxiety is through the roof.

cheers all, I'm so glad you're all here. Can't talk to anyone else about this stuff.

x

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Tingles across shoulders, neck and upper back

Anyone else get these?  All other symptoms I've had in the last year have been new ones with old ones not appearing much at all.  This might be another one.  I get tingles, a bit like buzzing but not quite, across my shoulders and neck. Had it twice recently.  Lasts about five minutes.  It's not the shivers.      

in General Discussion about MS

• Upper back, neck and arms...

Morning to one and All.   For the last couple of weeks, I've been struggling.....   In the past it's been my legs that have been the main issue, numbness, stiffness, pain and spasms etc.   Over the past couple of weeks, I've had a pain across my back, between my shoulder blades, neck pain and stiffness, and my forearms have been so very painful too. It's sort of new to me.   Sometimes it feels a little like the dreaded 'hug' but often it's just, what I can only describe as a stiffness across by upper back.....it's most uncomfortable. Anyone else?   I'm seeing the Neuro in early June so I will mention it.....perhaps I'm just getting old and arthritis is setting in !   Scully x

• MRIs(head, neck Spine)done and dusted...

I went for them on Saturday.   I went for the MRI scans, arrived early but someone had not arrived so I got in earlier. Lying down was a nightmare and they put a huge pillow under my legs too. But my legs and feet had ideas of their own. They were twitching and jumping all over the place. At one point I got like an electric shock down my left leg and into my foot and my leg shot off the table. I apologised when they came to get me out(and had to be helped up by staff as I could not move). But they said they would make a note of my legs party for the neuro to see. I did not have to have the contrast done so I was glad of that. I was told I should hear something in about three weeks so will keep you updated. Thankyou you all so much for your ongoing support, I would be lost without this site and its members.

• neck pain

Hi all, As you know was only diagnosed wednesday so i dont know if this is to do with ms or not but for the last 3 evenings in a row i have been in so much pain with my neck going up to the back of my head that i cant even lift my head up because of the pain to the point i could cry and when i do get up it is like the pain pulses in the botton of my head and neck and i have to lay straight back down . The thing is when i wake in the morning the pain is gone well only very very mild. Im dreading tonight and pain killers have no effect at all. Has anybody else had this problem ?   Thanks Tracy :0(

• Neck Swelling?

HI everyone am new to this site!   I got dx last October with RRMS, I inject copaxone everyday and have had IV steroids three times over the last year.   I have had my current relapse going on for about 10 weeks now and am struggling to get back into work, I was just wondering if anyone has experienced a swelling of the back of the neck along with sore eyes when you move them and extreme tiredness? The swelling keeps coming and going and no one seems to know what it is??   I also experienced the MS hug ouch!!!!   I have tried contacting my MS nurse who is always on annual leave and never available I have seem my GP god knows how many times (the receptionist now knows my name how embarassing) ha ha so I seem to be at an impass and quite frustrated am worried the new symptoms and the prolonged relapse means there is something wrong or there are new lesions somewhere??   Any thoughts on this guys would be of help   Take care   Gem   x

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.