The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Wnella

Driving

87 posts in this topic Last Reply

Wnella

I have been advised by DVLA that I have to surrender my existing driving licence :cry: & re-apply for a new photo type, limited for 12 months only :cheerleader:, thereafter subject to medical review. :doc:

This surprised me as I am still quite mobile :bounce: & was advised by the neuro consultant my RRMS was " quite benign", my main problems being cognitive. :cheerleader::welcome2: DVLA informs me over phone that individual medical assessment has been obtained rather than a blanket assumption made as someone dx'd MS. Of course, I do have right of appeal, but can't imagine that would be any point :rant:

Anyone else has similar conditions imposed following dx ? :cheerleader:

"One man's hell is another man's paradise"

Hils

Hi Wnella,

Oh boy, as if life wasn't difficult enough with ms. Let's make it even more difficult.:bounce:.

Did DVLA say who they got the 'individual medical assessment' from? If your neuro says your ms is benign then what possible reason could they have for limiting you to 12 months only. :cheerleader: I'm not sure when you were diagnosed, but is this the first contact you've had with DVLA since then?

I was issued with a new photo licence after diagnosis 4 years ago with the usual 10 year expiry date for a photo licence. But if they are bringing in new regulations, perhaps we can all expect the same treatment you are getting. :cheerleader:

I suppose its worth finding out if this is a general rule now for msers, but if its not, then I would certainly appeal if I was in your shoes. You don't want to go through that rigmarole every year :welcome2:

Hils :cheerleader:

If you can meet with triumph and disaster...and treat those two imposters just the same...

Wnella

I'm not sure when you were diagnosed
Sept'05 so this is the first contact with DVLA :cheerleader:

I wondered if it's my cognitive problems that have brought this :cheerleader:

although I haven't forgotten to drive :welcome2:

I may contact neuro dept at the hospital & gather more info' :cheerleader:

Michelle

Hi Wnella,

I had no idea that the dvla could do that. My daughter has had partial complex seizures for 5 years, and her neuro said as long as she was fit free for a year there was no reason why she could not learn to drive. Infact at the age of 22 that is what she is doing.. (she is still on meds)

My point is this.. Why on earth would the dvla do this to you? I know my daughter is not aware of this, and i know she is expecting a full licence when she passes her test.

Maybe there is one rule for people with MS and another for people who have fits????? :cheerleader:

As for cognitive problems.. I think the vast majority of drivers suffer from this when out on the road. At least judging from the way some drive.

I am puzzled to why they have taken this stance with you.

Michelle

ddgorgeous

Wnella,

I know the photocard licences were brought in 6 years ago now, I got mine in London and I think they had stopped issuing the old type at the same time.

The photocard ones are in two pieces, there is a small credit card sized card with your photo on that can be easily carried in a wallet and there is a larger piece of paper that will come with it. Together the two pieces make up your drivers licence. The card alone will not suffice if you have to show your licence at a Police station, or send it away for any reason.

The photcard has to be replaced every ten years I think (not certain about this) and the idea is that photos and addresses will be kept more up to date than the old type without a photo on it.

I really know nothing about a licence being issued for a short term and cannot help there.

Take care and best wishes,

Ron :welcome2:

ppms, dx 2001

Gaynor

Hi all

I've pasted one of the links to the DVLA (for medical issues)

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/dmed1.htm

in the hope that it can answer some questions people have on this subject.... but hopefully doesn't scare or alarm too much :howdy:

After my dx I downloaded and printed out the relevant forms from the website as my Doctor told me that I MUST inform the DVLA of the dx especially after having the eye problems due to the Optic Neuritis.

However I decided to wait until my sight was much improved (I just didn't drive at all for approx 6wks) then I asked him again to be sent for full eye tests in the hope that I would pass the safe and necessary standards needed to be able to drive again. Thankfully I did; so I then sent the forms off, with a brief letter. They then wrote to my Doc for proof that I was fit again and for full confirmation of test results (I imagine).

A few weeks later I got a letter back from DVLA with the all clear to continue to drive and basically told that I only need to inform them again if I have any further problems. They were stated as:-

'you suffer a blackout or any form of epileptic attack'

'you develop difficulties with co-ordination'

'you experience problems with memory or understanding'

'your vision deteriorates'

'you are only able to drive automatic vehicles or vehicles with adapted controls'

If any of these occured then 'a further medical investigation will be undertaken'

It's a complex area all this and a bit scary - however I think people need to know the full facts (for your protection) .... which I know aren't always pleasing to read. Hope I haven't depressed you as the week starts :welcome2:

Gaynor

Wnella

Well ... did bit of ringing around :phone: :-

i) DVLA confirmed medical assessment was specific to me & not general MS dx'd decision.

ii) MS Helpline (0808 800 8000) considered that as I'm just dx'd, 12 months was to see what develops ! I did have relapse last year with numb / stiff leg & that would be on my records :hello: It also seems Cognitive problems can affect matters if they are bad enough :welcome2:

iii) Neuro @ hospital said more / less same.

So I've decided not to appeal & 'go with the flow' . :driving: Maybe a battle in 12 months. :gunray:C'est La Vie as they say. :howdy:

Thanks for everyone's input. :kiss::rose:

Smiler

Hi Wnella, Ron Mish, hils and Gaynor

i am findingthis topic interesting as i have not been able to drivwe for 12mths due to left lfoot drop and leg/ankle stiffness...I am hoping for a new DLA ammount soon ( old one runs out April). My goal is to get a Molility car from them that is automatic, so i can become independant.

At the moment i have vertigo and would NOT drive when this is active

(obviously). but i didn't even think about notifying the DVLA. :howdy:

.Any feedback or info on what to say/ do would help... :dumbo:

Ta

jen

xxx

n026.gif

Dx April 05, struggled the whole year and next emotionally physically mentally and Spiritually...moved house and loving the sea coasts & fresh air. a010.gif

Gaynor

Hi Jen

I'm suprised you've not been forced into telling the DVLA - I was as soon as I was dx'd and mentioned driving again!!! However you've done the right thing in not driving since your described symptoms.... although it's awkward sometimes and difficult I know.

Anyway when telling them; I chose to do it my way!... as my previous post described, as I felt I had to do all I could to prove I was 'ok' again, and basically as I was prior to my Optic Neuritis attack.

I wish you well with what you want to achieve and I'm sorry that I can't help you with any tips on how to go about getting a mobility car. Perhaps the MS society website may be able to inform you a little more?

Gaynor

ddgorgeous

Jen,

It is over 6 years since I drove now so do not really keep up to date with any changes etc.

I am pretty sure that the higher rate of DLA mobitlity component can be used to pay for a Motability car. I think it can all be done quite easily, but all the DLA mobility component has to be signed over to DLA completely (I received a letter with the DLA award and a pamphlet about Motability. If you can get an indefinite award from the DWP, as opposed to an award that is reviewed every two years, I am sure it might become easier.

I am pretty sure that there can be a vast reduction in car tax, but am not certain how badly someone's disability needs to be to qualify. It might be worth checking out.

The link to the Motability website is below:

http://www.motability.co.uk/

Take care and best wishes,

Ron :howdy:

ppms, dx 2001

angela

Hi Jen

We,I have our car on the Motability scheme,it's too late for me now

but I will come back on the subject tomorrow if I can be of any help!

bfn Angela

:howdy:

Give a woman the right shoes and she can conquer the world! Bette Midler.

Wnella

Hello again :clap2:

You have to inform the DVLA when you are dx'd with a chronic neurological condition :dumbo:

Following from my original posting, I asked for a copy of the medical records DVLA used to determine my 12 month licence, under the 'Freedom of Information Act'. It was a single A4 sheet of paper with boxes on & my GP had ticked only cognitive problems as that still experience. How a life can change with a stroke of a pen :lol3::howdy:

DVLA web page info: here

Smiler

Thanks for all the info...

As i am already on higher DLA i could get a mobility car...but i need 12mth or more certificate. My runs out in April...so awaiting that being re- awarded...

a054.gif before all that though i will need to re-address my DVLA ...thanks for that link to the dvla Wnella...will scan through that later...

love jen

xxxxx

n026.gif

Dx April 05, struggled the whole year and next emotionally physically mentally and Spiritually...moved house and loving the sea coasts & fresh air. a010.gif

Michelle

Ron, your absolutely correct with the info you provided.

Jen you have a legal responsibility to inform the dvla. I have contacted them earlier this week. They are sending me a form to fill in about my dx of cns disease.

I think they will also ask for information from my neuro as well.

Good Luck

Michelle :flowerface2:

Michelle

Ron, your absolutely correct with the info you provided.

Jen you have a legal responsibility to inform the dvla. I have contacted them earlier this week. They are sending me a form to fill in about my dx of cns disease.

I think they will also ask for information from my neuro as well.

Good Luck

Michelle :flowerface2:

Michelle

That was weird.. Ron my screen froze..then came up with page expired and lo and behold the post came up twice...

No idea what went on there... :flowerface2:

Mish :flowerface2:

nikia43

When I was first diagnosed no-one mentioned that I had tro tell the DVLA at all!!!!!!

It wasn't until i came on here and spoke to everyone that I realised I had to tell them. So it was two years after when I told them. But I still got through it all ok

Niki

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

Smiler

Mish

yep i will do...i haven't been able to drive ( or attempted to ) since i had left foot drop ( 12mths now)...I can't anyway as we have a clutch and gears car...I would need an automatic...is hould get me one of these guys :howdy: it would be easier!

Nikia- it's amazing what I have found out on this site that no one has ever told me about...quite scary too! good to know that you got through it all even after 2 years ...thanks for that it gives me Hope !

love jen

xxxxx :rose:

n026.gif

Michelle

This is my second attempt at typing this.. I have this ability to touch a key and things fly into another cyber world...

Anyway, I recieved a letter from the dvla today thanking me for informing them of the change in my health. Followed by a curt... We have to inform you that if you do not reply within 21 days we may have to revoke your licence..

I am probably running ahead of myself ( which i often do) But i felt so down when i read the letter. It's enough that this disease takes away so much of your ability to do things. On a positive note, I know we adjust and find different ways, but thats because we have to do it or we dont have any quality of life.

Looking at the form they are going to have a ball with the medication I am on..

My neuro raised his eyebrows when i told him that the amitriptyline doesn't knock me out :wink2: God know what the dvla are going to make of it all..

Big sigh... It has to be done. I wouldn't want to kill anyone or myself if i went weird at the wheel.

I will let you know what happens..

Michelle :nodding:

Smiler

hi all e025.gif

I have an update...I phoned the DVLA today, and they are going to send me out a medic pack...i tried to download it but it wasn't clear what forms to fill in wnella..so to stop stressing myself i just phoned them.

e040.gif they told me i MUST fill in the form even if i am NOT going to drive for the next 3 months...( it will take me this long to get an automatic)...

I guess I need a quad bike mean time... a010.gif that would be fun!!!

love jen

xxxxx e025.gif

n026.gif

Gaynor

Hiya Michelle,

I HATE form fillin' and so firstly good luck with that.

Secondly I agree in that these things can really put you on a downer cos it feels like everything's against you alot of the time and you just go from one thing to the next. :nodding: (I'm not havin' a great week either as I've got a bizarre headache that comes and goes and my left eye is very achey). Don't know if my gynae drug is playing a part in it all.... but there we go I HAVE to have that. :wink2:

Anyway try not to let it get to you toooo much, stress is the DEVIL !

Love Gaynor x

Michelle

Hi Jen and Gaynor,

Jen it looks like you will be getting the same pack that I received this morning.. :nodding:

Gaynor! It is just like you say; We go from one thing to the next. Like the rest of the population does, but with us there's the sometimes unseen lodger hanging around.

Off for a :wink2: and a weightwatches biscuit :cheerleader:

Love Michelle

Gaynor

LOL Michelle,

Hey how you gettin onon the ole Weightwatchers ?

Well I was extremely naughty - we went for a meal on Sat night to the Beefeaters and I ate the biggest, fattest pudding you could have imagined. (icecream with a fudge brownie,chocolate sauce, cream and loadsa MALTESERS in it!!!) I was in heaven.

And do you know what?......... it was FANTASTIC! :nodding:

oh well - who cares!

Gaynor x

Smiler

Hi all

mish- good on you doing Weight watchers..how long you been on it? I have put on 10lbs in the last year...trying hard to eat healthily but the odd pack of crisps slips in cause it's easy to eat when I am tired... Let me know how you get on filling in the forms...you are right gaynor i am dreading it!!!! :nodding:

gaynor.. at this time of year you need some comfort food f035.gif ...you would go mad if you couldn't get some pleasure out of life... e010.gif

hope you don't mind me asking what drug are you on?...I had bad endo for 6 years and went thru a few drugs.

Anyway think i'll hobble off for a cuppa too!

Love to ya both

jen

xxxx n026.gif

n026.gif

Gaynor

Jen,

Zoladex at the mo. Had endo now for 14yrs and previously had Danazol, Dimetriose and Prostap. All good fun - NOT!

Well the 'Driving' topic has now turned into food, diets and Gynae problems!

:nodding:

Gaynor