The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Wnella

Driving

87 posts in this topic Last Reply

Heste

This morning I got my letter from "Transport For London" exempting me 100% from the congestion charge :heartbeat:

So now I can drive in to London freely. I can park in Islington or Hackney (Just North or West of my office). I am applying to the "City of London" for a RED badge (as they dont allow BLUE badge holders to park for free). The RED badge proves that I am a permanent employee for a company in the City and allows me to park in specially marked "disabled" bays. These bays seem to always be vacant. This then allows me to park just south or east of the office.

Having got all these permits my company might even allow me to park under the office (though I need to always have other options in case some directors Jag is parked accross three bays - because he can).

Ron's news item about Blue Bagde Abuse is hardly supprising as without my Badge I could never afford to drive to and park in London.

As long I can cope with the traffic I think this driving idea will be great. I have been commuting for 20 years and walking to the office which is now taking me longer and longer to do. Walking between Fenchurch Street Station and my office takes nearly as long the 40 mile train journey

Regards,

John :flowers2:

Gaynor

Good news with that then John :heartbeat: and good to see having MS does have the occassional benefits! .... a refreshing change!

Gaynor :flowers2:

Michelle

Yes! great news.

Michelle :heartbeat:

Heste

I have finally got a reply from the DVLA about my driving license. They are replacing it with a short term (three year) license. They have asked me to send back my existing one and then they will send the short one.

No restriction on manual drive. :heartbeat:

This is what I expected and I am quite happy with this.

Regards,

John :flowers2:

Michelle

John,

That's brill news. How are your dizzy spells?

Michelle :heartbeat:

Heste

DVLA wrote to me today (three separate letters).

Letter 1. My new short term driving license.

Letter 2. Saying you now have a 3 year driving license.

Letter 3. Saying you now have a 3 year driving license. No doubt this one was sent in case I ddn't get the other one.

Regards,

John :flowerface:

Michelle

Oh Gawd! :stars: <<<That was me yesterday morning, when the renewal for my yearly driving license came through the post. And I was having an okish morning too :laundry:

I was a complete basket case. I always get :lmao: when I'm weighed down by fatique. It was just the thought of going through the process again.Filling out the form,doctors reports,tests if required, and then the anxiety of not knowing if I will be allowed another license.

I know they are only doing their job, and at the end of the day it's about other peoples safety and my own.BUTTTT I just had to have a stressy bessy about it. :titanic:

I suppose I could buy a pair of skates :coffee2:

Michelle :rant:

Gaynor

I was a stressy bessy too the other day as I received my long awaited Neuro appt through (the hosp is over an hr away from me) and Tim is away for it :titanic: . I was fuming and thought that is just sooooooo b****y typical. I can't re-book cos the Neuro guy only flies over once in a blue moon from the UK and may not be back again till Sept/Oct or even Nov when I rang the receptionist to discuss it. So after alot of stressing my friend is now going to come with me (I don't like the drive) so I am going next Fri.

I totally understand your stress and anxiety - but good luck and so what happens next then and when?

Gaynor :rant:

Michelle

I'm waiting for a calmer day.I will then fill in the details and send them back to the dvla :skipping: My yearly license expires Sept 18th.

I'm glad your friend is coming with you to the hospital. I bet that takes a load off your mind. I can only imagine the stress that the thought of the drive would have caused you. It's all a bit poo isn't it?

I really hope it goes well for you!

Mish :think:

Gaynor

Thanks Michelle, yes it is all a bit poo !

Michelle

Hi Everyone,

Rang the dvla and a decision has not been made as of yet...However, piece of useful infomation if you don't already know. If your awaiting a medical decision on your license; you are allowed to carry on driving under section 88 of the driving act. The dvla can send you a certificate covering you until a decision has been made.

So! I can drive to the shops But without a caravan.

I will post this info in our driving topic.

Michelle

Toxic
Jen,

Zoladex at the mo. Had endo now for 14yrs and previously had Danazol, Dimetriose and Prostap. All good fun - NOT!

Well the 'Driving' topic has now turned into food, diets and Gynae problems!

:rofl3:

Gaynor

Hi to all, sorry to go a bit off-topic but I wanted to know for how long which among the medication Danazol, Dimetriose and Prostap you found more effective?? And now on which medication are you??I have a friend who suffers from endo and that's why I would like to know about the treatment and the medicatin which people normally take. He was onDanazol but it didn't turn out to be effective... :lmao:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• ON and driving

Hello everyone! Please can I have some advice? I have developed optic neuritis, this is my first bout of it and at the moment it's just painful and absolutely no change to my vision. It's just in my left eye. I'm aware that I have to tell dvla of this and I'm already on a 3 year restricted licence- is this likely to effect my being allowed to drive? Thank you X

in General Discussion about MS

• aching and twitching legs are driving me mad.

Hello folks. Dont normally post but am always reading them. Advice and wise words needed please. I've had issues with my legs for some time well over a year now. They ache and twitch on a daily basis. Some days I feel like I've run a marathon where in reality I've not moved off the sofa. I'm taking pregablin .I suppose my real worry is that my ms has moved up a notch from rrms to spms. And it scares me!!! Im still driving, working and generally maintaining a house hold but im finding it difficult.

• Driving licence blues

As Marina thinks it's too quiet on the forum I thought I would subject you to my driving licence replacement concerns. I have a short term licence that I have to renew every three years (as many of us do). It expires end of March. My Mobility car contract expires end of May. Three years ago it took them so long to do their checks and replace my licence that Motability would not allow me to be a named driver of my new car. As luck would have it, and after a lot of last minute frantic phone calls and faxes, I managed to get added as the driver just a day or two before I was due to collect the car.   I am now hoping the DVLA and my Neuro get their act together this time so I dont have a repeat of the fiasco of three years ago. This time I will start chasing earlier.   The DVLA do allow you to continue driving if your licence expires while they are still doing their checks but Motability insist on seeing a valid licence before you can sit behind the wheel.   However, in the meantime I have a pleasure of car hunting. Time to get a new one. Last time I picked a BMW 1Series M-Sport Coupe. A great car to drive but not very practical. This time I am looking for something a little more practical.   Of course, if driving licences and car choosing is what I am calling a problem then I have very little to complain about.   Regards,   John

• MS and driving

Hello, I've only just been diagnosed with MS. The reason that I went to the doctor earlier this year is that I have continued tingling in my hands which annoyed me - nothing else and it's not stopped me from doing anything at all. The neurologist diagnosed me with MS about 10 days ago, and today I got a big envelope in the post with all sorts of information about MS, including the advice that I should contact the DVLA. I've just done a little search on here re people's experiences with this (also being VERY worried that my van insurance will sky rocket!), and what I've read really scared the living daylights out of me! For one thing because I've just handed in my notice at work, because I intend to go self employed from next month on, as a professional dog walker! You get the picture: driving every day, loading and unloading dogs and a day not worked is a day not paid! Now I appear to be having "benign MS"; I've had optic neuritis 11 and 8 years ago, and at the time nobody seemed to make a connection between that and MS, so I've been blissfully ignorant all that time, and this tingling in my hands that I have now neither has any effect on my ability to drive nor on taking dogs for walks. I'm meant to be starting on 2 January, but what if I call the DVLA on Monday and they revoke my licence straight away? I've still got 2 weeks left on my current job as well, that requires a 50 mile round trip every day! What on earth am I going to do?? And what would a 3 year licence mean? Will I have to do a test every 3 years? I'm so glad I passed mine, I don't think I could do it again. Please help! :( :(

• Limboland is driving me nuts

Hi, I'm new to this site and this is the first time I have ever posted about my symptoms etc.   I'm a 28 year old professional who, as my name suggests, lives in Wales. I'm married and have a 4 year old daughter.   My symptoms originally started with a large swelling in my right calf with severe pain. Various dx have been suggested and have ranged from cancer (soft tissue sarcoma), to neuromyotonia, focal myositis and most recently it has been suggested that it may be MS.   I have been experiencing vibrations / tingling up and down both sides of my body (arms and legs), and have also had numbness in both legs / feet and my left arm. This has been extremely worrying especially when my leg completely lost feeling whilst driving down the M4. I have muscle spasms (which develop into severe cramp) primarily in the right calf, but these have now spread throughout my body and can occur absolutely anywhere, and I mean anywhere! I also suffer from tiredness/fatigue, and sometimes it is all I can do to get out of bed to get ready for work. I stumble quite often and have fallen umpteen times.   Walking has become more and more difficult, and for the past 18 months I have had to rely on the use of crutches / wheel chair due to the pain.   I have recently had an MRI of my brain and neck, VEP and LP. Both MRI and VEP came back with 'no significant abnormalities' but my LP came back showing a large increase in IgG Protein and Total protein. I have asked my GP what this means, only to be told that it is a sign I could have a CNS problem.   I feel like I have been taking pills non-stop for the past two years and have just been prescribed Tegretol (carbamazepine), having just come off 600mg daily of Pregablin, and before that 6,000mg daily of Gabapentin. I also take 10mg Tremazepam daily.   Do these symptoms sound like they could be MS? I am so confused by all the different named conditions that are thrown at me, without so much as a clear explanation.   Any help / advice would be greatly received, and I must apologise for waffling on. It's what we lawyers tend to do best!   Thanks

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.