The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
james325tds

is this an ms symptom?

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

james325tds

Hi all ,

New to this forum , have not been diagnosed with ms and basically have been wondering if this is an ms symptom.

Was driving home from work about 6 weeks ago and my middle , third and little finger tips on my right hand started to hurt as if they were bruised.

About half an hour later the exact same finger tips on my left hand started to feel exactly the same. It has lasted for about 5 weeks and then started to rectify but is still there a bit . Its just my fingertips and not my whole fingers and just the last three on each hand.

Very strange.

My question does ms present symmetrically like this?

Regards

James

Mal

Hi James and welcome to the forum

ive had what you describe on one hand but not the other before ,

does ms present symmetrically? i suppose when it gets into the spinal cord it will do ,

i was also told ms lesions on the spine causes sensory problems , so maybe this was happening

to your hands , i dont realy know , maybe somebody will come along that knows better

Mal

Sleepy
Scully

Hello James,

Welcome to the MS people forums.

It's almost impossible to say what are MS symptoms, and what aren't. There are many reasons for this....

1. Many symptoms seen in MS overlap or are the same as symptoms experienced in many other conditions. Such as , vitamin deficiencies, circulation problems, trapped nerves, thyroid conditions.....and hundreds of other conditions.

2. Even people with confirmed MS experience vastly different symptoms. We all have the same disease, but we all experience a vast array of different symptoms,

3. MS is notoriously difficult to diagnose, even the best neurologists ( and only a neurologist can diagnose MS) sometimes have a hard time reaching a diagnosis. For most of us, from first symptoms to diagnosis can be many months or even years. The reasons being as above,

I gather it's pretty unusual for symptoms to be symmetrical. It's always either one side or the other. I have two fingers on my left hand that went numb a few months ago, and they are still numb, but the other hand is fine. My left leg is often painful then numb, but my right leg has always been fine.

Best advice I can give you is to see your GP, get referred to a neurologist and possibly begin the long road of tests and more tests.

Meanwhile, keep a note of when each symptom started, and for how long each symptom lasted for, it can be helpful further down the road when trying to piece everything together.

Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

eliza

Mine used to be symetrical before dx as a gp told me you cant have ms because you dont get it on both sides at once, I did. Since then though my sides have taken turns on relapses. Do keep a diary as this may go away and you may get other bizarre symptoms. Hopefully its not MS, you could have carpal tunnel, especially if you use a keyboard with both hands. Try doing some pressups on the floor or a wall getting your hands to be at right angles so you get a good stretch, hard to explain but give it a go.

Like scully said could be many things or something that may resolve itself.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Odd symptom (probs not MS) and christmas cake with cheese

Hi all.   Am seeing the optometrist tomorrow within a 24 hour timeframe from report of symptoms (so serious) for flashes in the corners of my eyes when I move them, and a huge crop of really thick floaters.   This is ok, there's loads of info online.  I know what it is.     This is different:  Laid in bed (insomnia due to full moon interference, a story in itself) staring at the bookcase, I had a dark spot in the outer of my eye, which spread like powder in a cloud shape across my eye to the other side - I could see through the outer reaches of this, it was thinner there, so the powder analogy works.  Then it retraced very smoothly, and then came again three times in that eye, and twice in t'other.  A week or so later happened from above.  I can SEE this, as in close my eyes and it's in reverse colour.     There is nothing online about this, which is extraordinary in itself I think.     Also how else likes Christmas cake (or Genoa - my fave) with Cheshire or Wensleydale cheese?  I like them thickly sliced both.  The creaminess and acidity of the cheese, plus the same texture as the rich, sweet and fruity cake, makes them perfect flavour partners.  

in General Discussion about MS

• New symptom and not Dx

Friday I had to sit down.  The backs of my legs, top and bottom, felt like I'd been up a huge flight of stairs with a heavy rucksack on board, stood at the top.  Wobbly. weak.    Some pain into my calf as well.     Happened a week ago as well, that time in my quads, a bit of pain and felt weirdly weak with a few shooting pains.     Covid, oh, boy, how can I get to see my GP.  They sent me  a message back in Sept about calling them but life was entrenched with covid then as now.  I need HRT as well.     I've seen the future and it doesn't look good.  

• New Symptom - painful tugs across scalp (And Valerian)

This is fun.   Not.   Pain on scalp, spreads like the electric shocks on my foot, but I feel the tugging there and elsewhere, and pain.  Very like the neuralgia I had years ago.  Tugging there too. I get tugging on my hands sometimes.     Painkillers no help but I've read up on Valerian - I sleep absolutely rubbish, probably the perimenopause but also during the New Moon lunar phase, I average 8 hours across three nights.  Valerian apparently helps with nerve pain, ( A source of GABA) as well as being good at reducing anxiety and also getting you off at night.  I'm not on any other meds, rarely take brufen or paracetamol because they never help with my painful symptoms, and the migraine I get goes with aspirin, and that's rare too.   Took some after an hour of scalp hell and it seemed to work.  Perhaps I expected it to ...        

• Oh a new symptom, how delightful.

I've noticed recently that if I knead dough or use a paint brush, I get a really painful sensation in my hands. Apart from headaches and back pain I'm not used to pain with MS.   It usually stops after a while. I can only liken it to shin splints.   Is this 'spasticity'?   Just in time for Easter...*joy*   (Feel the sarcasm)

• Feels like a headcold - MS symptom?

for the last five days, I have felt like I have a headcold. my head feels heavy, I am tired and am dizzy, particularly when I move. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I have no other cold symptoms so I am thinking it may be a symptom of MS

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.