The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Great Dane

Panorama Monday 14 December

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Great Dane

Hi everyone

Just thought I would let you know there is a Panorama programme on Monday 15 December on BBC1 titled "Can You Stop My Multiple Sclerosis?" which I thought you might want to watch.

Furthermore I have just been sent an ezine for people with progressive MS which might be of interest to some of you - please see link below.

http://www.omstc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/progMSezineissue5pdf.pdf

Finally I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2016!

Best wishes

Great Dane xxx

Edited by Marina
Made URL shorter
  • Like 4

Nick

Thanks Great Dane,

will definitely watch that

Nick

Just another Warrior...........

Sleepy
Scully

I'm confused, bless me...

Have tried to put this into my TV planner thingy.

And for tomorrow's Panorama... It seems to be summit to do with The Taliban..

Now, I'm not saying the taliban don't get MS..but, have I got something wrong?

Scully

x

Edited by Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

elma

This program has been rescheduled for January

Great Dane

Hi everyone

Yes, it seems that Mondays Panorama is now to do with the Taliban and I do not seem to be able to find when exactly the MS programme is going to be shown. Elma where did you find information to say it had been rescheduled for January. I have had a bit of a search. but have failed to find anything about when the programme might been televised.

Great Dane x

elma

Hi, the program is on Monday 25th January.

• Like 1

elma

Looks like this has been changed again. Just found out it is now on 11th January . BBC 1 at 8.30p.m. but of course it may change again!!

• Like 3

Sleepy
Scully

I watched the Panorama programme, which was on BBC last night at 8.30.

It's available on iplayer for the next 30 days.

It was quite incredible to watch. It's for RRMS patients, and works better for patients with a relatively new diagnosis. Maybe up to a couple of years.

It's a great step forwards ( no pun intended) for those with RRMS and the trial is to be extended.

Not for the progressive type of MS, so it won't help me, but great news for those who are able to take part.

Scully

"The truth is out there"

Nick

It was indeed very interesting and while not a total solution to all of us gave me the feeling that they are indeed stating to gain a much deeper understanding of just what MS really is! The program was indeed incredible yet perhaps they should have spent a little more time explaining that some of the dramatic histories of fast progression are not the statistical norm. Also a better explination of the different forms of MS and the place where this treatment fitted in.

All in all it seems the future looks brighter for more treatments soon.

Nick

Just another Warrior...........

Bernadette

Is this treatment like Campath, which I remember reading about 7 or so years ago? Some fellow who played golf tried it, as I recall.

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Bernadette,

No, the treatment is stem cell, using cells from the patients own blood.

The programme is still available on iplayer catch up which you get get on most computers.

Scully

"The truth is out there"

Bernadette

Hello Bernadette,

No, the treatment is stem cell, using cells from the patients own blood.

The programme is still available on iplayer catch up which you get get on most computers.

Scully

Thanks. It was just the idea of destroying the immune system, then "rebooting" it, which reminded me of Campath. Same principle?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Covid-19: Two new treatments available from mid-December

“The government has announced that people with MS in the UK will be eligible for one of two new treatments if they catch COVID-19. Currently, treatments are only available for people already in hospital.”   MS and COVID-19: Two new treatments available from mid-December WWW.MSSOCIETY.ORG.UK Find out about new COVID-19 treatments for people with MS.  

in General Discussion about MS

• Blood test for thyroid function on Monday.

Hi all.     My perimenopause has now been chugging along for twelve miserable years.  It's not fair. I've had depression (thyroid tick), palpitations, breast cysts, low thoughts, super dry skin (thyroid tick), yellow thick skin on my feet (thyroid tick), super heavy menses (thyroid tick) and my hair is falling out approx twice as fast as it used to (thyroid tick), weight gain (thyroid tick) and severe sleep disturbance but also all of these things bar the very dry skin type perfectly well for a lack of fertility hormones, so I'm being tested for that too. And anaemia for the super heavy menses, I must be losing a few pints a month, no kidding.     There is a link between hypothyroidism and MS I know.  Is there a blood marker for MS related to the thyroid?    

• YES! Bupa will be covering a private MRI and my apointment on monday

Today i decided to give bupa a ring and explained about my problem with the constant migraine. It started 3 weeks after my cover did but I didn't go to the doctor until a month after that. The NHS nuro said it was part of the CFS but I am not convinced. I never had this problem before. I have never experienced anything like it in my life. My body is telling me something has changed and I dont know what it is. I explained to the bupa represenative that I have had headaches and migraines before but never experienced a pain like this and also told him that the NHS nuro put it down to CFS but it is still going on a month later. I said I could find nothing on the net that suggests that constant migraine like this is due to CFS. He said it doesnt sound like a usual part of it and authorised me to have the apointment and MRI. I am thrilled that I got the authorisation even though one Nuro has already put it down to CFS. You cant lump everything on that!   The gabapentin has done wonders for my head and all I am feeling right now is a background pain and a little bit of burning. Compared to what I have gone through its nothing!   I can not wait until my apointment on monday. I am hoping he will not put it down to CFS so I can have my MRI quick sharpish. If he does I will have probably have to pay the full cost of the apointment and wait for my NHS MRI which hasnt been booked yet! But I already had the money ready for the apontment anyway so it wont be so bad. I never expected Bupa to cover it. I did mention that my husband has saved them money by being too lazy to sort a private apointment to break down his kidney stones which he is covered for. He never did get round to going to the doc for a referal and his NHS apointment is only 2 weeks away now!   I know there is something wrong with my body, I can feel it. I can't explain it but I know something has changed this year.

• Roll on Monday!

Hi all, quick update from me, I got my steroids on Monday, Tues n Wed next week! Bit of a bummer that its a 3 hour round trip but I'd go twice as far if needed cos I'm desparate now.   The ms nurse said that after the steroids they will refer me to a more local hospital so it'll be easier then.   The neuro told me that the steroids will help speed up the recovery of this relapse which is great, but I've got it in mind now that this is it for me cos its been goin on since May. Pretty scared really, I'm gettin weaker every day now and constant pain in me legs which never lets up one little bit.   Not bein very clear am I! For those who don't know me I was diagnosed a fortnight ago after gradually worsening problems since May. Have in the past had optic neuritis, numb feet, unexplained falls etc but its always gone away and never once has any GP suspected MS til it all started up again in May and since then its got worse and worse.   I guess I'm worryin now that the steroids won't work??? I haven't had a chat with an MS nurse yet and I am totally in the dark in regard to RRMS, PPMS, I don't know what it all means and don't know how to spot which I've got?   Can anyone give me an idea of their experiences with steroid treatments etc??   Incidentally I'm bankin on this workin cos my house is in such a mess n I don't mean a bit of dust, I mean completely upside down, no surface is clear and clothes just don't get put away anymore. I can't change the beds n my kids are livin on chicken nuggets n waffles! Oh and I got turned down for DLA on the basis that, get this, I CAN walk 200metres, at a REGULAR pace and in a NORMAL manner. Just wish they'd seen me drag me right leg through town the other day when I had to go get Calpol for my 3 kids full of cold. Arses. (the DWP, not my kids LOL) and wish they'd seen my tears when I poured scoldin hot fat out of the roasties tray over my hand when I dared to try make a sunday dinner, that one got me scrikin I tell ya.   Would be very gratefully for a bit of light shed on all this!   Em X

• Worried about Neuro App Monday

I am really worried about my appointment Monday, I have waited 13weeks for this and initially only requested a referral because of uncertaintanty about the cause of my face pain. Since that time, over 3 months, the TN pain has been excruciating at times and I have started to acknowledge the other things going on with my body. The stabbing in my feet and arms and hands, restless legs, leg feeling wierd etc. I do however, tend to get a few weeks where I feel generally ok, used to be a few months but not anymore. SODS LAW, it is now that I am feeling ok and yet I was on the phone begging for an earlier appoint ment 3 weeks or so ago. I am really worries I am not going to get things across well because I am not feeling totally depressed and fed up and in despair like I am often. Sorry to drone on! Katie

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.