The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Marina

Diary of MS - Symptoms to diagnosis

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sluggish
Marina

Diary of MS - Symptoms to diagnosis

I'm feeling quite tingly all over today

It's really quite nice in a strange sort of way

But then the numbness creeps in, the tingling goes

And all of a sudden I can't feel my toes

By mid-afternooon it has spread to my knees

Best go to the Doctor

''An appointment please''

''Let's wait and see as I haven't a clue. It'll probably get better, or it may just be flu''

Two days later and still feeling numb

Back to the Doctor, (As advised by my Mum)

''Altered sensations,

That's what you've got,

It'll sort itself out''

Has he lost the plot?

The next week, I'm back

And at last my GP says

''See a Neurologist''

(Whatever that may be)

There's a 3-month wait?

Oh well what's money for?

The very next week

I'm knocking at his door

He prods me and pokes me with hammers and pins

He tests me for weakness and guess what, he wins

You'll need a Lumbar Puncture and an MRI scan

At last someone believes me, he's a very nice man!

The scan comes back normal, so I must be OK

But first there's the spinal, Oh please go away

Inflammation shows up in my spinal cord

''It may come back'' I'm told ''Of it's own accord''

''Now if it comes back, and it probably will

Then you'll have MS, but not until

So you've probably got it, but then maybe not

Don't think about it'', well at least not a lot

A few months have gone by and the tingles come back

This time in my arms and a little round the back

The bathroom it seems is my favourite place

And suffice to say I'm not washing my face!

So back to the Neurologist, that very nice man

Who says ''Well; this is it'' (As nice as he can)

So here I am with ''official'' MS

How will it progress?

Well that's anyones guess

Live day to day, you can't alter fate

If you're tired, go to sleep, the washing can wait

One thing I know, and I hope you can see

I've got MS, but it's not having me!

© By Vivien Mitchell

• Like 2

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

norma

Really like that poem Marina. Thanks, :howdy: Norma

Gaynor

That's excellent and a good account

Well done the author, :howdy:

Gaynor

ddgorgeous

:clapping::rofl3::bestwishes::cheers::cheers::burger::burger::bday3::cake::cake::love::clap2::clap2:

What a great way of putting it, I think I will print a copy off for some others!

Ron :howdy:

ppms, dx 2001

Hils

That says it all, really. I liked it.

Hils :howdy:

If you can meet with triumph and disaster...and treat those two imposters just the same...

angela

Brilliant,says it all :howdy::hello::clap2:

bfn Angela

:welcome2:

Give a woman the right shoes and she can conquer the world! Bette Midler.

SeTi^

Eh oh,

That poem is fantastic and I was wondering, me being cheely like, if I could use it for the newsletter ? Of course I will tell everyone about the lovely lady who wrote it. I do hope it's ok and I will wait and see before pinching it :)

Sian

:flowers2:

You need both the sun and the rain to make a rainbow appear

Sluggish
Marina

Sian, course you can use it, as long as the copyright credit is with it :flowers2:

By the way, what newsletter would it be for? Is it one you run yourself?

Marina

sarah111

Brilliant its just like i feel :hehehe: i really don't feel alone now :thumbsup::rant:

Sarah

lucky

Marina, Its a brilliant poem - I was wondering if you wrote a lot of poems at this time of your life. I ask because I did and have always wondered if its a way of coping and getting our feelings in order - some of mine were ms related and others were from the topical news of the day. Its strange cause for that brief time of my life it was easy but I cant do it now.

Lucky

Sluggish
Marina

Oooh, Lucky, I didn't write it - it's by Vivien Mitchell.

Marina

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Road to Diagnosis Update

Still undiagnosed (not so good news) I have been seeking a diagnosis of MS since the late 80s on the NHS but so far haven't gone very far   I have finally been seen by the memory clinic, where the person who saw me didn't seem to have any obvious answers for me. I don't think these memory doctors like to stray far from their script. An example of this was the question 'Have you stopped doing things you loved to do?' and my answer was that I had. Had I been less confused, I might have elaborated a bit and added that the reason I no longer work with coding, building websites and running an online retail business, is that I have forgotten how to do all these things  The doctor took the answer I gave her as a pointer that I was depressed!   She sent meon to a dementia neurologist who I got to see in early December last year  (sort of indifferent news as he has now passed meon to somebody else). I read the letter the neurologist has sent to the next person and it includes their findings. The current diagnosis is of cognitive and memory issues that are most likely caused by a lifetime of untreated ADHD combined with a brain injury caused by a cardiac arrest and time spent in a coma in 2016.   So.. my issues continue and I still could have a long wait to move on to the next stage in my journey. I checked online for waiting times for an NHS diagnosis of ADHD for adults in East Sussex and the average time is about 5 years.        

in General Discussion about MS

• Onslaught of new symptoms?

Hi, first time here. Have had relapse remitting MS for about 20yrs and after a tricky start despite the odd flare up have had very few major issues for around 15yrs. Last year or so I have had the feeling of lots of minor increases in symptoms/ mini flare ups but in the last few months I have seen a massive increase in pain, cognitive issues, fatigue etc that just seem relentless. Have undergone a variety of tests (unrelated to MS) all of which come back as without issue and GP’s current best guess is depression and or IBS. I don’t feel depressed but I am in constant pain which is sapping my energy now. MS nurse is trying to get a consultant to see me (last few yrs all appointments have been phone calls only). Anyone have any words of wisdom or comfort 

• No Longer Seeking a Diagnosis

Hi Everyone   I first asked a GP about my symptoms back in the late 80s and he told me he suspected a central nervous system disorder after doing the usual neurological tests GPs can do. He referred me to a neurologist.   The neurology appointment and consultation arrived early 1991 and he repeated the same tests the GP had done then said he was all for sending me for further investigations. He then asked me to wait in his side room while he took a look at my medical notes in case he missed something.   After 10 minutes or so he told me that after reading my notes he had decided that since all my symptoms were most likely due to mental health issues (anxiety because I was mum to 2 children with special needs),he felt further investigations weren't needed. I would no doubt get the same response now as I am currently caring for my husband who is terminally ill.   In the 30+years since, all of those symptoms have got a lot more noticeable and others have been added.My current GP knows about the new symptoms but I'm still know nearer getting a diagnosis than I was 30 years ago.    I have had friends accuse me of malingering as I have no diagnosis (dumped friends now) and when I was in a coma following a cardiac arrest four years ago, hospital staff told my husband and my son on different occasions that they thought I was a hypochondriac. I can only assume that this is on my medical records as I hadn't talked to any staff at that point.   I am currently working from home as a writer and also run a bunch of on-line stores so it's not like I am just a lazy so and so. I'm really posting to say that acceptance without fighting for a diagnosis has simplified my life so much and I am a much calmer and happier person for doing this. 

• More new symptoms...experience/advice?

Hi all. Hope everyone is doing as okay as can be! I've had these new symptoms for about .. 2-3 months now.. they're driving me insane.. My jaw/teeth clenching together. I'm not knowingly doing it. Just happens. Starting to really hurt my jaw and teeth from the strain and pressure of it. Also my eyes have been automatically squeezing closed. Sort of a similar feeling to when cutting onions (minus the tears and stinging) but that urge to squeeze the eyes shut. Does anyone else experience these? Thank you!

• Why heat causes or exacerbates MS symptoms

Here’s an explanation about heat sensitivity and raised body temperature in MS.   Heat – Multiple Sclerosis Research Blog MULTIPLE-SCLEROSIS-RESEARCH.ORG My thoughts are for our readers with MS who are having to live through and cope with the latest heatwave. The BBC has just reported that this is the hottest late August bank holiday on...   I must admit that I didn’t stop to think that the heat of this weekend is why I’ve been saying my vision seems blurrier than usual! Doh..!  

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.