The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Steve Oleary

DARK SPIRIT - A Short Poem

1 post in this topic Last Reply

Steve Oleary

DARK SPIRIT

I’m cast and confined in the shadow of a ghost

A phantom formed from a former life

Inside that gloom of sadness and anger

What was bright now has been darkened

What was solid is formless and fluid

What was straight is twisted and tangled

What’s gone what is and what’s to come

All contained in an obscure reflection

Everything I see hear think or do

Is coloured in a shade of what’s been stolen

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• The Mountain Poem

This poem, originally written for mental health, could also apply to Multiple Sclerosis where fatigue and pain are invisible and helps explain how we may cope with it.   If the mountain seems too big today,
      then climb a hill instead.
      If the morning brings you sadness,
      it’s OK to stay in bed.
      If the day ahead weighs heavy
      and your plans feel like a curse,
      there’s no shame in rearranging;
      don’t make yourself feel worse.
      If a shower stings like needles
      and a bath feels like you’ll drown,
      if you haven’t washed your hair for days,
      don’t throw away your crown.
      A day is not a lifetime,
      a rest is not defeat;
      don’t think of it as failure,
      just a quiet, kind retreat.
      It’s OK to take a moment
      from an anxious, fractured mind,
      the world will not stop turning
      while you get realigned;
      the mountain will still be there
      when you want to try again,
      you can climb it in your own time.
      Just love yourself till then.   By Laura Ding-Edwards   Thanks to @Shirl who kindly sent me the poem.

in A Survivor's Guide to Multiple Sclerosis

• My ms poem

So been down in the dumps, legs not working great. I picked up a pen and this poem came out so thought I'd share. Don't be too harsh...Shakespeare I am not and punctuation is beyond me!       Good news! He said as I sat at his desk, It's not the tumour we feared, but MS instead. My mind starts racing, filling with dread, He carried on talking, barely pausing for breath.   It's a chronic neurological condition, and as yet there is no cure, All I could think of was to run for the door. Student doctors sat across the room, nodding and smiling as my world went ka-boom. This can't be right, it's not happening to me, I'm in a bad dream - it cannot be.   Thoughts turn to my children so little and new, What will happen if I don't pull through? It's not going to kill you he says with a smile, But coming to terms with it may take you a while. There are plenty of treatments that you can try, I turn to my husband - he has tears in his eyes. He keeps saying words, words I can't hear, There's too much to take in and I'm so full of fear.   We give him our thanks and head for home, but feel I'm stepping off the edge into the unknown. The journey takes a lifetime and words come slow, How can you process what you don't want to know?   We arrive home to a houseful of people, 'How did it go, what did he say, has the tumour gone away?' It's not a tumour I say with a cheer.... BUT... And I watch their relief turn to fear. The questions come with quick succession, Each answer I give seems to feed the depression.   It takes a long time to get my head straight, I'm angry and scared and in a bit of a state. Slowly slowly life gets back on track, Just in time for another attack. It's a fairground ride of ups and downs, Hospital visits and stumbling around.   A couple of years in and things aren't great, But I'm learning to live with what's on my plate. It's uncomfortable living with multiple sclerosis, No one can give you a proper prognosis. I try to take each day as it comes, and as far as possible, to try and have fun.   There will be plenty of hardships to come, but I'm concentrating on being a mum. So now I make a vow to carry on as long as I'm able, It is after all just another label. X

in A Survivor's Guide to Multiple Sclerosis

• Dark times

Hello everyone, sorry not been around for a long time, as the title says, i have been in a "dark place" since Christmas time.I got myself so down, did something very silly and ended up in hospital. Now back home with stacks of pills,support worker,CPN and Dr,i am heading in the right direction.   I feel so embarassed writing this, and seeing the actual words in black and white is really difficult. This happens to other people, not me,i know this must sound pathetic, but things happen!   Anyway i hope you are all keeping as well as possible, i have really missed you guys and feel like i've let the side down, sorry, will try harder and get back on track.   May take me a while to read all i have missed, and catch up with what's happening to you all. Needless to say i am happy to be back with you.   To the future

in General Discussion about MS

• in the dark

Hi all. Im 31. Originally from s/e england but lived in spain for 10 years. Over the last 3 years i have been experiencing different sensations. All started with pain in my left elbow and arm. Like a servere ache and shooting pains. I ignored it until my fingers in both hands were twitching on and off and my hands ached like mad. I went to a british gp when i had a dizzy attack and had what i call white ghosts in my right eye. Specsavers said my eyes were fine. My gp did blood tests cause she was worried about arthritis. Everything came back fine. In the mean time my legs were now aching and i was getting the most horrendous craps in my thighs in bed at night. My gp thought i was low on magnisium, potassium and other mineral salts. Suppliments made no difference. I went to my nhs spanish gp who was russian and horrible to have my bloods tested again and to be told ' your fine- you work'. I now have a spanish private gp who has done bloods that have come back fine and suggests i could go to a neurologist but he thinks its not ms. So i feel at the mo like im wasting peoples time but i know that the sensations im getting dont feel normal. I get a burning in the middle left of my back the most and my legs are spasuming a couple of times a day. My hands ache and i am soooo tired even after 8 hours.   Does this sound like it could be ms? Should i make the neuro appointment? Or am i wasting peoples time?   Thanks for your advice shelley:-)

• In a dark and lonely place right now

Everything I gone through is nothing compared to my husband wanting to leave me, as his head is all over the place. Its not fair what else can go wrong!!!

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.