The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Kkaa32

Travelling

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

Kkaa32

Any suggestions for meon finding the right insurance and also is there anything I need to know regards taking my husband who has ms and is getting worse everyday on a long haul holiday.

Nick

I've just come back from a trip to Germany and Switzerland, I've never bothered with health insurance on trips to the EU and have always relied on my european health card http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

Make sure this is in date as they do need to be renewed. This time my elderly father ended up in a Swiss hospital for three days ! and while Switzerland is not part of the EU they do have a reciprocal agreement. This worked well with us only having to pay for medicine.

For myself I need to ensure each stage of a holiday is carefully planned to minimise any stress. In our case we were on a driving holiday and broke down the length of each drive with hotel stops at much shorter intervals than I would have done prior to my MS.

Make sure you have the right medicines and the right quantity. see advice here: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1074.aspx?CategoryID=70.

Since having MS I have avoided aircraft and prefer the convenience of being able to take equipment such as wheelchair and scooter in the car. So I can't tell you much about that side of things.

Nick

Just another Warrior...........

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• drug storage/travelling

Hello helpful people on this everso useful website, i have a question, a many fold quesion, M.S was confrmed in my life (by phone) at the begining of the year, my earliest appointmnt to see some one to ask any questions is end of may(so over 4 months from that phone call) The problem is i am a temp nanny, so i move all around the world, luckally i have been in the same poistion (on and off) for the last year so have had all my appointments at the same hospital and had to change to a local GP near work, I am also lucky as the lady i work for has a close GP friend with MS, so i have been able to have the odd question put to her, she thinks due to the symptoms i present i will be ellagable for disease modifying drugs (bad sensory symptoms, lots of tingling, and my reaction to pain is not there, i can watch the boiling water go up my hand and have to think to move my hand rather than a reflex, my poor hands are suffereing terribly, with cuts and burns,) my poosition is up here mid june, My research indicates that the first month of drugs is moniterd, (but i dont have a month) so the question is if i can go private sooner is it worth it to have the time to be monitered. Which brings me to my next question i am planning on spending 4 months in a van over the summer in france (house hunting-Im actually homeless at the mo) then oct i will be back at this job, then spending the winter in Asia travelling before settling down this time next year, So IF i'm ellagable for drugs AND manage to get an early appointment privately are any of the drugs suitable for travelling in a van in france or indeed taking backpacking round Asia (on a shoe string so not sterrile hotels) ? And if not, and all drugs have to be in a fridge what do people do for holidays? Although if a drug can help the development of the MS thats good but im not going to re write my life because i have MS, if i dont go traveling now, because of drugs, maybe i will not be able to do it again because of MS,

in General Discussion about MS

• Travelling with MS

Hi All, Me again. Just a quick question. Is there any place where you can buy ice packs and thermal bags when you are travelling with injections? We've lost ours somewhere!!   Thanks a lot,

in General Discussion about MS

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.