The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
kizzy

Joint pain , help please

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

kizzy

Hi all I haven't been on here for a couple of years as for the last 2 and a half years not a single relapse or problem. However the last week and a half things have got awful but I'm unsure if it's ms related or not so wondered if anybody has suffered with the same problem. It all started with a numb patch in the middle of my back then my fingers and wrists became so painful ( worse of a night ) like joint pain or cramp that was absolutely excruciating leaving my hands stiff in claw shape then it has spread to my shoulders like the day after you have been carrying heavy heavy shopping bags to the point where I can't move the top of my arms to lift my hands high . Now it has moved to both ankles and knees so I can hardly walk or move my arms as its so painful . I have no idea what is happening but no I'm in ridiculous amounts of pain and can't move my arms or legs properly

Nick

Hi Tracy,

Sorry to hear of your problems. In don't know the answer but it is clear that you do need some help. My first port of call would be my MS Nurse, you don't say if you have, or are in contact with them but they can be really useful. Details of who that is can be found here

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/understanding-ms/who-can-help/map-ms-services

I do get joint pain and the claw effect, but not to this degree. Mine is more like a steady background ache that varies but has never been intense.

Apart from that the GP would be my final call, somebody who is far to busy and overworked but who will be able to spot things we mear mortals would miss.

Hope that is some help

Nick

Edited by Nick

Just another Warrior...........

kizzy

Thank you Nick , yes do have a ms nurse but I haven't seen her for a few years as I haven't needed to . I have just been to the out of hours gp who believes it is ms related but he has said to go to my own gp tomorrow to get sent for blood tests and if they come back clear to start steroids . I actually don't feel as bad at the minute but just know by tonight it might get worse again

Tracy X

Skippysprite

I would suggest having a word with your ms nurse or gp and see if there is any pain relief available before taking the steroids.

I do get joint pain and stiffness in my hands, which I take amitriptyline and Baclofen for, and whilst thy do not eradicate this, it takes the edge off.

Wishing you all the best.

Pam x

Live for today.......never have regrets

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Tracy,

Nice to hear you've been well for a long while.

Two things spring to mind. It could be a relapse of course, in which case you do need to see your GP, MS Nurse etc..

Or.

Perhaps it's related to the hot and humid weather perhaps. It's playing havoc with me, but not sure if it can actually start a relapse, or, simply due to humidity and heat?

Definitely get yourself checked properly, and don't be fobbed off. Leave a message for the MS nurse today, hopefully they will get back to you tomorrow.

Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

ptlike

Hi kizzy I do get spasm like feelings in my hands and pain in my shoulder joints. I believe in my case it's not ms but the effects of due to undue pressure on hands and shoulders. Sorry I can't offer anymore suggestions but I would visit my gp for advice.

Best wishes

Peter

Edited by ptlike

sars17sarah

Hi kizzy

Just a thought B12 anemia. It is quiet common that people with MS don't absorb vitamin B

I had an episode similar and thought oh no here it comes and luckily I had my goods done recently and my nurse looked and I was very low. I had a course of injections and now every 3 months.I know when I'm due cos the joint pain kicks in.

Just have a look on Internet at B12 deficiency,it's worth a try!

Hope this info gets to you,while you are well and it wasn't an attack that's taken you bad xxx

Sarah

• Like 2