The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
ddgorgeous

Has anyone tried 'Progurt'?

74 posts in this topic Last Reply

ddgorgeous

Has anyone tried 'Progurt?'

http://progurt.com/index.htm

Progurt now seems to be available in the UK. I sent the company an email earlier, so will wait to see if they reply.

Ron :howdy:

ppms, dx 2001

Smiler

Hi ron

A wonderful link...:howdy:

i have e mailed then too...hopefully to receive a sample to try...I know i am a bit cheeky but i am SCOT... p085.gif and i have got to live up to my expectations...

I am patiently awaiting a reply p015.gif ...i will update with any new info

love jen

xxxxx :rose:

n026.gif

Dx April 05, struggled the whole year and next emotionally physically mentally and Spiritually...moved house and loving the sea coasts & fresh air. a010.gif

ddgorgeous

Jen,

They do say on their website to contact them for a free trial, so it would be crazy not to.

With it being the middle of the night in Australia just now, you might not get a reply until tomorrow and it would possibly take a few days for them to contact their person in the UK for you address etc, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

ppms, dx 2001

Michelle

Hi Guys,

The product sounds familiar to those probiotic yogurt drinks you get at the shopping mall... I did take a quick look at the site Ron, but it would be interesting to find out all the ingredients of the product to see if they are the similar to the probiotic drinks that you can buy on the shelves. I will have a look later this evening when i go shopping.

I have yogurt every day whether it's in a smoothie or with some cereal. As a rule I always use natural yogurt. I know that natural yogurt contains live cultures so it's pretty good for the body as a whole..

Regards

Michelle :nodding:

Michelle

Just had another look at the site. I see you have to grow the culture,depending on your taste buds... good luck!!!!

Maybe there is extra bacterium in the product.. Will be interesting to hear your reports on the product.

Michelle :nodding:

ddgorgeous

I received a lengthy email from Progurt in Australia last night.

Although on the website it says to contact them for a free trial, they do charge a LOT to try this and will need a credit card number to process the payment, so it is not really what they say on the website.

There is no mention of ingredients anywhere, so what exactly it is is still a mystery.

I was thinking about this last night a bit. This forum member 'BrendaLDN' has a forum in the USA (I presume) to promote awareness and discussion about LDN. A post I was reading a few days ago on her forum mentions 'Candida' which as far as I am aware is a form of yeast infection, the link to the article follows:

http://ldn.proboards3.com/index.cgi?board=...read=1129136093

It makes sense surely that if there is an overgrowth of yeast and yoghurt assist in controlling that, then Progurt may well assist, but it may well be that something similar could be purchased in this country at a fraction of the price.

I know next to nothing about any of this, but intend to find out and learn. It might be a case of sticking to a gluton free diet or consuming yoghurt every breakfast to control MS in some way and possibly reversing some of the symptoms. I really do not know, but I think I owe it to myself at a minimum to try and find out.

I have read through the list of Candida symptoms in the above link, I certainly seem to have a few of them, but had always put it down to MS. Possibly it is not MS at the root of it all, but Candida.

As a child I remember taking antibiotics on a couple of occasions and having a severe allergy/reaction to Penicillin. It was never noted by my GP in my medical files and I remember always checking with both my GP and the Pharmacist that there was no Penicillin in the prescription (I still do). With working overseas most of the time, it became more important, as a Doctor/Dentist could prescribe something with Penicillin if he never knew. There has possibly been quite a change in antibodies within my system because of it all and an overgrowth in yeast has resulted.

It certainly makes for an interesting thought. Imagine this scenario: What started the MS initially might have been an overgrowth of yeast and it was never spotted as such. You know what the ten minutes infront of the GP can be like!..............it is the kind of thing that could easily have been overlooked.

If anyone has any knowledge about cultures/yoghurts etc, please post the info. It may assist a few people.

Take care and best wishes,

Ron :nodding:

ppms, dx 2001

Michelle

This is a bit of a girly thing boys.... But yogurt is well known in women circles for treating vaginal itching etc.. Good for thrush etc.. As long as it's natural yogurts.. No messing with strawberries and banana's :cheerleader:

I swear by a yogurt for keeping such things at bay like yeast infections.. Remember to recycle your yogurt pots :nodding:

Michelle :wink2:

ddgorgeous

Michelle,

Please excuse my ignorace at not mentioning this. I thought there was something to do with yoghurt and yeast infections, but did not want to mention it previously.

It makes some sense the more I think about it.

Just imagine if MS can be controlled in some manner by somethng that can be purchased from any supermarket!

Ron :nodding:

ppms, dx 2001

Smiler

Hi all

Usually yogurt doesn't have a significant ammount of ACIDOPHILIUS (good bacteria)to help combat candida ( overgrowth of fungal bacteria), as the dairy also helps grow candida. If your digestive system is okay then yoghurt and ACIDOPHILIUS can keep it in balance. :nodding:

about candida...14 years ago during an 5yr episope of epstien barr virus (m.E.) I was diagnosed with candida. II had muscle pain, weakness, fatigue, leaky gut and constipation. went on an anti candida diet for 1 month ( no yeast wheat, diary, caffine sugar or fruit (except stewed pears)...and took CAPRILIC ACID by SOLGAR (available from good health shops) It is a derivative from coconut and works the same as mothers breast milk in killing the overgrowth of fungal bacteria. Then i went on a years supply of ACIDOPHILIUS LACTACILLUS. It was a tough regime but i managed it then ( and lost 3 stone)in the process. about 7 years later i had a return of problems and used liquid oxygen to blast the fungal bacteria away...again this took about 6 wks and had no stressors. ( yeat dairy wheat sugar etc)

To this day ( especially if i take anti-b's and have a few alcoholic bevs) i still take 2 tabs of caprylic acid night and morning for a week. I take ACIDOPHILIUS LACTACILLUS every day.

i will try and get some site links for you ron if yoyu are interested in the above!

love jen

xxxxx

n026.gif

Dx April 05, struggled the whole year and next emotionally physically mentally and Spiritually...moved house and loving the sea coasts & fresh air. a010.gif

ddgorgeous

Jen,

I really know nothing about any of this, so any information, or links would be a great help.

I would be so p***** off and angry :nodding: if this could have been controlled/slowed down in some way and it wasn't through nothing more than my own igorance and the lack of interest from my GP.

I wish Teddy :cheerleader: was here and I could beat him up just now!

Ron :wink2:

ppms, dx 2001

Smiler

Ron will see what i can do

If you need to send in the Boys let me know a138.gifc010.gif

Tho i have heard teddy is a mean little guy too when he wants to be... k015.gif

love jen

xxxxx n026.gif

P.s. THIS will take time!

n026.gif

Smiler

Okay dokey ron

About candida... http://www.candidasupport.org/

Sites that sell anti- candida meds:

http://www.resonance-health.co.uk ...Paul is MOST HELPFUL. Paul owns this site you can e-mail him with symptoms and he will give advice. this is where i got the oxygen stuff from. It's been a while since i was last on the site but they are a good bunch.

also http://www.synergy-health.co.uk have anti candida meds

Don't know much about this site but a friend foiund it helpful

http://www.yourdiagnosis.com/yourdiagnosis...t_diagnosis.htm

have a good nosey and please let me know how you get on

love jen

xxxx

n026.gif

Michelle

Where is Ted? :lolsign:

Wishing you all the best with the yogurt etc..

Love Michelle :howdy:

Michelle

Jen,

Looked at the site.. Found it interesting especially as I am to be blasted by intensive iv steriod treatment soon - which as we all know doesn't do anything for the immune system..

Michelle :lolsign:

ddgorgeous

Michelle,

Teddy is away on his holidays overseas just now, he said he will post when he gets there, but he didn't know where he was going!

I suspect he is in the hold of a plane munching jelly cubes just now.

Ron :lolsign:

ppms, dx 2001

Michelle

Ron,

Have you recieved the yougurt sachets from Aus?

Over the last week....mainly since my birthday, my diet has been not so healthy.

I have not eaten so much yougurt, and my poor tummy has really suffered for it.. It's suprising how much I have taken the role of drinking and eating the sour stuff for granted.. I should never have given into temptation :eating:

Love Michelle :oops:

ddgorgeous

Michelle,

I have not followed up with it all.

I sent an email to Progurt as they advertised a free trial. I received a reply, but it is not free, it is quite expensive. I attach one of the MS docs that were e-mailed to me, all prices are in US dollars.

Why they say one thing, but then say something else all sounds kind of iffy.

Maybe natural yoghurt with nuts or something will be a better way to go.

I am kind of dubious when they will not disclose what is in Progurt, all they say is that it is a secret recipe. If it was that good, then I kind of think they would be keen to tell people what they are taking.

So I have left it and not followed up with it in any way.

Progurt_costs_shipment_Info.doc

ppms, dx 2001

Michelle

Ron,

I see what you mean by expensive.... There are lots of pro-biotic yougurts on the market... Some more cultured than others..

Have fun trying some... Some are quite disgusting..

Better dash..

Take Care

Michelle :oops:

LPD

Yes I have been on a pretty strict diet since August of 2005. I received an MS diagnosis in June of 2005 and feverously began research for the miracle cure only to discover that there was no such cure out there.

I did find the Progurt site... have been following the regiment as best as I can and have recognized tremendous results. I too have had my doubts. Results have been slow but progressive.

I went from being told that I needed to begin injection therapy... to being told that either my condition is very mild to possibly a mis-diagnosis. God only knows and time will tell, but I do sacrifice the expense in dollars for the quality of life and earning ability that I thought 8 months ago I just might lose.

It might all be a hoax??? but for me It has seemed helpful. Again it is not just taking yogurt... there is a strict diet that within a few months becomes less restrictive as progress is recognized.

Hope this helps... I am interested to learn of other's stories as well... this is how I found this site. -Patrick

ddgorgeous

Patrick,

:lolsign: and a warm :cheerleader: to the forum. It is a very small forum in comparison to some of the forums, but it is very friendly and most of the regular posters know each other a bit. It is almost like a small family where people look out for others a lot more and if someone suddenly stops posting, it raises concerns from others. The 'Advice' section is growing all the time and is full of useful addresses and information.

I am still very interested in Progurt, but I could not seem to find anyone that had tried it to hear of any results, you are the first. Please let us know how you get on with it. I for one am very interested in learning more about it......I wish I knew what the 'secret formulae' contained.

I totally agree with you, the amount of money is very small in comparison to quality of life etc. If it works, then it would be a very small price to pay.

Good for you for trying it and seeing some benefits. There appears to be so much of a scathing approach from the Medical Profession about anything slightly unconventional, they can be quite hostile at times.

When you were diagnosed, were you diagnosed with any specific type of MS? I am thinking that if you were offered injections of some sort, that you were probably offered disease modifying drugs of some form........One of the Betainterferons possibly. I think these are generally offered to people with Relapsing Remitting MS (RRMS).

If you know of others using Progurt, please tell them about the forum, the more people who can provide input through experience the better.

I see your post was in the early hours of the morning, are you in Australia?........warm weather, less rain, less snow, it must be awful! :halo:

Ron :lolsign:

ppms, dx 2001

Gaynor

Hello there Patrick,

Welcome aboard and pleased to hear you're doing well since your diagnosis last year.... (I too was dx'd last year but in Jan.... RRMS). I'm glad the stuff seems to work for you and that you must feel quite positive as a result. :cheerleader:

Look forward to hearing more about you,

Gaynor

LPD

I am in the Charleston, South Carolina, USA area. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/

I will post more later as I am off to work and a busy day.

I will spread the word about this website and keep you posted on Progurt etceteras.

Your friend,

Patrick

Michelle

Thats really encouraging news Patrick... Looking forward to hearing more from you..

Regards

Michelle :cheerleader:

sam

I have a son with CFS/ ME. I ended up on this site because I was researching Progurt. We are in Australia and my son has been taking Progurt for approximately 5 weeks, along with a very strict diet, one aim of which is to minimise competing "bad" strains of bateria (eg from chicken or beef). It is very expensive and to be truthful I have no idea whether it is helping. His nutritionist herself used it when she had a signficant CFS relapse and swears by it. She did say not to expect any noticeable improvement for at least 3 months (given my son has been ill for 4 1/2 yrs, she said it would take a while).

I am literally about a 20 minute drive to the address given on Progurt's website, and think I will pay them a visit as I am very curious. I will try to remember to update you in a month or two. Good luck to all. Sam

ddgorgeous

Sam,

:hello: and :hippy:

On an LDN site there ia an interesting post about 'Candida' and how it may possibly be related to MS. It is to do with the good bacteria in the gut being killed off by possibly antibiotics etc and the bad bacteria taking over and running riot. CFS is mentioned in this post on a different forum, it might be worth your while to read through the post.

http://ldn.proboards3.com/index.cgi?board=...read=1129136093

I have found it very difficult to find anyone who takes 'Progurt' and hearing anything about it is very difficult. Please let us know on here how you get on with it and if there are any improvements in your son.

A post I read mentiones cutting out fruit and certain acidic foods to combat the Candida if that is what appears to be causing it.

Ron :oops:

ppms, dx 2001