The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Marc

Computer Mice (Mouses)

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Marc

I have a problem where I cannot control my middle finger when I press to he left mouse button with my index finger. Subsequently, I end up right clicking when I want to left click. I am using an Apple ouse at the moment which has a rocker switch that resolves the issue but it's a rubbish mouse in other ways. I'm n a fortunate position in that my employer is happy to pay out for a better one but I've yet to find anything suitable.

Does anyone have similar issues? Did you find a solution and achieve mouse nirvana?

Edited by Marc

It's not the hand I wanted to be dealt but I'll play it anyway.

Sluggish
Marina

I’m on a Mac too. I have a Logitech MX Master mouse. I’m OK with the mouse but sometimes have trouble dragging as my index finger can get the shakes when dragging, and whatever I’m dragging can end up flying all over my monitor or being accidentally dropped somewhere else; this tends to be worse the further I have to drag.

I used to use what I found to be a really helpful free app for dragging when I was on Yosemite - Easy Drag: https://nikolozi.com/apps/easydrag/. I then fairly recently upgraded to Sierra (missing out El Capitan en route) and found that Easy Drag doesn’t quite work, in that the F (and a couple of other) keys on my Logitech K750 keyboard don’t work when Easy Drag is enabled. It’s possible there’s some sort of conflict with the K750 keyboard and Sierra though, maybe it’ll work fine with another keyboard.

I also have an Apple trackpad on the left of my keyboard, so I use it with my left hand, and use my mouse with my right hand. This can be handy to use for clicking if my fingers are troubling me. I can’t drag with it to save my life though, and I don’t find the 3-finger drag particularly easy. Might a trackpad be of help to you?

Also, might a 3rd party mouse driver be of any help, something like SteerMouse for instance, which lets you customise buttons? Or an app like BetterTouchTool for the mouse and/or trackpad?

SteerMouse: http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

BetterTouchTool: https://www.boastr.net/

I use SteerMouse but it's the older v.4 as the newer v.5 has a conflict with the K750 keyboard, unfortunately v.4 can't customise the extra buttons on the MX Master mouse though. Ah, that's given me a thought... how about the MX Master mouse, as you could customise it to use the big flat bit on the left of it for left-clicking? It's not a cheap mouse though!

• Like 1

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Marc

Hi Marina

Thanks for the extensive reply. Although I'm using an Apple mouse, it's on my work laptop (Windows 7). It's my old (ancient) mighty mouse and the scroll ball doesn't work.

The MX Master mouse looks interesting, being able to use my thumb to left click might be ideal. Work will be paying for it so not really worried about the cost.

Sluggish
Marina

LOL, I'd never have guessed that anyone might use an Apple mouse with Windows! :flowerface: It must be a nuisance not to be able to scroll, though...

It's possible Logitech's own "Options" app for the mouse might be able to map that left-hand button for right-clicking. I only briefly installed it and then removed it as it was buggy on my Mac and also didn't have a feature or two that SteerMouse has, and I can't now remember what the options were for that button, but I'm guessing it can do it: http://support.logitech.com/en_gb/software/options

The MX Master is quite a big mouse and might take getting used to. I've used Logitech mice for years, and love them. I've got small hands but, oddly or not, I actually like this big mouse, maybe as I find it sort of supportive under my palm. I also only need to recharge it (via USB) once every 7-10 days, which is great.

Marina

Marc

I use a Magic Mouse with my Mac and that's fine. Unfortunately, the touch tech won't work on a Windows machine.

I'll pay a visit to a store to try out the MX. I've got relatively small hands for a bloke so I need the opportunity to see it first hand rather than just buy online.

Sluggish
Marina

Going to test the MX Master out in a store sounds like a good plan!

Whether you get an MX Master or not, please let us know what you end up doing?

Marina

Marc

Will do, thanks again.

Marc

Well, I went and had a look but sadly it's a no. The buttons on the left are just too small. I have barely any sensation and I would struggle.

I'm beginning to think I'm never going to find what I need. :sadwalk:

Sluggish
Marina

That's a shame, Marc... Yes, I guess the back/forward buttons are a bit on the small side. I'm OK with them, but find the side-scroll button awkward to reach.

I hope you one day manage to find a mouse that would be suitable. I wonder if any disability sites might have some that are specifically for these sort of problems?

Marina

Marc

That's a shame, Marc... Yes, I guess the back/forward buttons are a bit on the small side. I'm OK with them, but find the side-scroll button awkward to reach.

I hope you one day manage to find a mouse that would be suitable. I wonder if any disability sites might have some that are specifically for these sort of problems?

I did speak to my line manager about it and he said he'd be willing to offer whatever was needed so I may go down the bespoke route.

• Like 2