The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
magna

Torticollis ms related?

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

magna

Good morning

It's been so long since I've visited this page and such a lot has happened in my life. So thank you for reading my post and hi to everyone who knows me.

I woke up Wednesday morning absolutely fine. I got my daughter out of bed and we sat watching cartoons then suddenly I got extruciating pain in my right neck and shoulder. I had to be taken by ambulance to hospital. When I git there they didn't have a clue what was wrong but gave me morphine and diazepam, I had already had co codomol. That took the edge of it so I can move at least. I was sent home with diazapam, diclofenic and co codomol. I saw my gp yesterday as there was no improvement and she diagnosed it as torticollis. My head is stuck facing left and slightly downwards now. I asked her if it could be due to ms and she didn't think so but after a good old google i see there seems to be a link, although a rare one.

Does any other msers have this? I think it's also called dystonia or something

Thanks everyone

Sluggish
Marina

Yes, I have it too! I woke up one day, 18 months ago, with a very painful stiff neck. I couldn't turn or bend my head to the right without it being incredibly painful. Being used to all sorts of MS and non-MS related pain (the latter mostly due to lumbar spine conditions I have) as well as having cervical spondylitis, I thought I'd sit it out and wait for it to go or see how it developed.

After a week, it wasn't that much better, so I took myself off to physio - I often find a physio will know better than doctors about these sort of things. They told me it was torticollis. A month later, I still had it even if it wasn't as bad as at first, but now my shoulder had become painful too. The physio said the torticollis had created a tendonitis in my shoulder. I stopped physio as it wasn't really helping.

My case might be different to yours, and I hope it is as I still have a painful neck and shoulder to this day, 18 months later. The first week was the worst, then it was still bad for a month or two, then it very gradually got to where it is today. It's not as painful as it originally was, but it still hurts to turn or bend my head; and the pain in my shoulder is still there, going down my upper arm. Some days, I hardly feel it, and on the other days it's a bit more painful than usual.

It never occurred to me that it might be related to MS though. I wasn't given any painkillers, so I wouldn't know if they might help or not. Baclofen, which I've been on for years and is also a muscle relaxant, didn't help either.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

magna

I'm sorry you are suffering so much x I'm hoping my neurologist gets back to me Monday x