The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
pete g

Lemtrada

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

pete g

Hi I am New to the forum and am now going to have Lemtrada (alumtuzumab) as a new treatment for me and wondered if any one else has been through the course

ptlike

Hi and wellcome. Sorry I'm on rebif

Best wishes peter

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Hi,

I've not experienced Lemtrada personally, but here's a warts'n'all blog of one MSers journey to and through the Lemtrada treatment:-

http://tracyslemtradajourney.blogspot.co.uk/

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Campath (Lemtrada)

Hi, I joined this forum shortly after I was diagnosed and then I dropped off the forum scene. I don't even remember the name I used. Anyways I saw a post about Campath and thought I would write about my experience with Campath. Long post, I'm afraid.   I live in northern Sweden and received my first Campath treatment in June 2010. I am not in a trial and I received the lower dose. I was diagnosed with MS just over 5 years ago. I started with Betaferon (Betaseron) but developed antibodies to it. I switched to Tysabri and that seemed to work quite well for just over a year but then I felt that I was getting worse again. During the first year on Tysabri I still developed new plaques on my brain. I understood that this was unusual. I talked to my neuro about my options. He felt that Mabthera would be a move to the side (similar to Tysabri) while Campath would be a more aggressive medicine. I appreciated the 'theory' behind the medicine - that campath kills the B and T cells and the idea is that when the body produces new B and T cells they don't have any memory and don't remember to attack the myelin sheath. This is the bedtime story I tell myself I also like the reported results that I have seen. I believe that Campath has been fast-tracked in the US. When it is released for MS, it will be called Lemtrada.   I received 4 days of treatment because on day 4 I got the rash just like I expected but my neuro was not as prepared. So I didn't receive the 5th day dose because he didn't want to chance it. And he admitted that they have no idea why it's 5 days or 3 days but when they take the blood tests on day 3, they see that everything is wiped out and that's the effect they want.   I won't say it was a week of fun It was a tough week followed by another tough week. I had a MRI 11 months post treatment. Both the neuro and I were a little disappointed because I had 3 new plaques, the size of a pinhead. However, I wasn't completely surprised because I had felt a relapse 6 weeks before. The relapse didn't surprise me because we had just come back from New York, I had had a wicked bad cold and I had to jump directly back into work.   So then it was treatment number 2 in June 2011. This was only 3 days and a relative breeze compared with the first treatment. It was mentally easier to accept 3 days rather than 5 days. Recovery time afterwards was quicker this time around as well. My 6 month post treatment MRI was clean. I haven't felt any relapses. I will have another MRI one year post treatment (this May, most likely).   I have gotten sick (colds, cough, etc) but I have not become sick more often or worse than anyone else. I don't get flu shots.   I was happy that I did this. My family is happy that I did this. I appreciated not having the monthly ups and downs with Tysabri. I appreciated not having to be hooked up to the IV each month for a couple of hours at the neuro clinic. I am well aware of the risks and I accept them. I know what signs and symptoms to look for. I feel all of these side effects are treatable. I have to have blood and urine tests taken monthly. I realize Campath isn't a treatment for everyone and it is important to understand how it works and what the side effects are.   On a personal note, I am 47 years old and have four children. I work half time and feel that I am a rather healthy person despite the MS. I am still able to jog between 3-5km; something which I had almost given up on the year before I had Campath. I train with weights and do core training weekly, I go to Iyengar yoga once per week and Pilates Reformer. I try to get to the pool when I can and I bike to and from work. During the winter, I can x-country ski.   Campath isn't a miracle drug but I believe that it will keep me stable for a while and that is all that I want. Not to have MS would be nice but I'll start with stable I was hoping it would do more for my fatigue, which is the thing that pulls me down each and every day, but I have only noticed a minor improvement. Old symptoms (nerve pain, leg spasticity) crop up when I am tired, stressed or sick, but they improve when I rest.   There is a guy named David from the UK who wrote a diary about his Campath experience and that diary really kept me inspired about making the choice and going through with it. I am not able to post the link but if you search for, Campath (alemtuzumab) for MS or Multiple Sclerosis - My experience - David Sturt then you should find it. He received his first treatment 2003. He posted again in 2011 and appears to still be doing well.   I would be happy to answer more questions if you have. I realize my post is long at this point. Best wishes to all of you! I am also very interested in finding out how others are doing on Campath. I think there are only a handful who have received it at my neuro clinic.

in General Discussion about MS

• Lemtrada

This "new" treatment was approved by NICE in May 2014 for provision by the NHS. It should have been available within 3 months.   However, sufferers still seem to be waiting for the NHS to implement the provision of this treatment.   One MSer has created an e-petition on the No. 10 website to try and raise this issue:-   http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/74987   Would you like to sign in an attempt to ensure that approved treatments are made available within the timescales specified in the NICE guidance?  

• URGENT: Can someone here please let me know where I can get Lemtrada infusions?

I'm trying to find what countires and doctors do the Lemtrada infusion for MS since it is not apporved in the US.   If anyone here can please kindly be of any help in finding the mentioned it would be very appreciated.   Thanks.

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.