The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Scully

Oh the highs and lows...of steroids!

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Everybody,

Well, the 'silly season ' is almost upon us..I have 8 grandchildren to buy for, plus the added bonus of some 6 birthdays all through December....so my Amazon driver is visiting daily, with armfuls of packages, for which I am eternally grateful.

Talking of grandchildren...I picked up the usual cold from the ankle biters a few weeks ago...cold tunred nasty, very nasty, resulting in sinusitis ( ouch ) and a deep chest infection.and very high temps...I struggled on, using Vick, flu capsules and the like....till I could cope no more....mainly because I could also barely walk, and most definitely no stairs....

Saw the GP! Who went nuts, coz I left it too long...and left his office with penicillin and a huge course of steroids, to shift the infections, and to give the MS a swift kick..

Well....the first dose of steroids found my head swimming, balance gone....and generally felt I'd been hit by a truck....next day, felt much better, by the third I was a veritable superwoman....not much sleep so spent many of the wee hours, working though my birthday and Christmas lists and ordering the lot!

Written Christmas cards....and have almost been marching round the house !

Sinus and chest infection have almost given up and cleared off......but I know, as we all do, that come Tuesday or Wednesday.....the crash and burn will arrive...albeit briefly.....but hey....Christmas and birthdays are all organised....

As the title says....the highs and the lows of steroid treatment!

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Nick

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Wow it sounds a bit as if those were powerful drugs! Yet that is the thing, you need to get back to that 'Balanced' state .............the impossible dream!

Nick

• Like 1

Just another Warrior...........

ptlike

Hi scully get well soon. I have some bad news I'm afraid taking steriods and hoping to compete in the olympics probablyou not a great idea. Ah well here's 4 years time.

Best wishes Peter

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Speaking of steroids...

Am having real difficulty with taking the steroids. They aren't coated and start dissolving in the mouth before you can swallow them - the taste is unbelievably foul. Day 1, I eventually managed to swallow all 5 pills but vomited afterwards and felt ill for the rest of the day. Day 2, I only managed to get 1 out of 5 tablets down. I don't think I'm going to be able to finish the course. Wimp.

in General Discussion about MS

• steroids again?

Hi all Sorry I've not been around much but I've been really awful. I only had oral steroids about 5 weeks ago and initially they worked. They got meon my feet and walking albeit terribly but over the last 3 weeks I feel shocking again, walking is worse by the day and my speech is really really slurred, worsening as the day goes on. Is it possible to have more steroids so soon? My consultant said that we could discuss tysabri when I see him again, his suggestion, but I'm scared that this seeming relapse so soon after the last one night go against me. I will be seeing him tomorrow, I'm very worried because I'm on holiday next week.

• steroids,temp inprovements ?

last day today ,of a 4 day course,of high dose steriods.Yesterday i managed to stand for 2 secs UNAIDED !!! first time in three weeks.could this be a temp improvement because of steriods ? or is this the kick start my body needed ? iam really pleased ,excited,about standing unaided ,only for 2 secs ,but its a start tho isnt it ? ms nurse has said there is no gurantees with steriods,..she cant tell me if i will ever walk again tho.. tc xx

• is it too late for steroids?

Hello everyone I've not been posting for a while but I haven't been right for ages. Actually I've not been right since I had my fall 2 months ago, I seemed to get better but then my walking has been steadily getting worse over the last month and now I can't walk at all without support from someone, I feel so scared that I will stay like this. I have left a message for my nurse but it seems that this is a relapse, last month she was thinking about getting me into the relapse clinic but I didn't ring to arrange it as I had a decent couple of days so I didn't think I needed it. I was checked for a uti but it was clear.I've also just had 2 proper periods in the last month which isn't like me. Do you think I am to late for steroids given that this seems to have been going on for 2 months? I thought that it was better to treat a relapse early. Thanks for reading.

• steroids again,still cant stand

saw ms nurse yesterday,on steriods again.She said might not get use of legs again,Peed me off for a little afterwards,but determind to say postitve gonna try and get a support worker,and power wheelchair .life goes on !!!! take care everyone xx

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.