The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
NothingNobody

Does anyone here suffer from bruxism? Something worth considering...

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

NothingNobody

Could teeth clenching actually be causing MS?

"In 2010, Williams et al. published a breakthrough real-time study demonstrating marked lateral displacement of the temporal bones in MS patients during bruxism (Ref). Using a pulse phase locked loop (PPLL) device, MS patients were found to have a bilateral temporal bone displacement six times greater than healthy controls during a sustained clenching force of 100 pounds of pressure. It was hypothesized that reduced bone density in MS patients can increase the displacement along the cranial sutures, possibly allowing skull bone deflection to create damaging pressure waves."

You can read more about it here:

www.houseofenoch.com/diseases/multiple-sclerosis/

Nick

I was a little skeptical, however the article is interesting and seems well referenced. My own view has always been to leave the complex study of MS to the experts and only concentrate on my own well being at the present time. The answers about MS are coming, but to unravel the explanations, let alone have solutions, continues to take time. So there is little I can do to help my own situation, yet I am always living in hope and know there are thousands of people out there studying the problem.

Nick

• Like 1

Just another Warrior...........

Sleepy
Scully

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I’ve not heard of the teeth clenching theory before.

All of my family have a 'clicky jaw' when eating..

I also suffer from Trigeminal Neuralgia from time to time. That awful condition that feels like someone is hitting you on the side of your face with a brick many times a day. Not sure how it’s connected.

Your website is a long read, and I have to confess to scan reading it as the concentration isn’t as good as it used to be. As a retired solicitor, scan reading was a must.

Is it your website? If it is then congratulations on the details therein.

As Nick said, MS is so complex, there are many theories as to why it starts in some people...one day, some scientist someplace will scream ' Eureka....I’ve found the cause....now to the 'cure''

Are you still going through the diagnosis jungle? It would be nice to hear your experiences. And by all means ask as many questions as you wish.

It is quiet here right now, but members do drop by.

Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Nindancer

Wow! I'll definitely have a good read of that. I have a gumshield, on my 2nd one actually but much improved as it's soft in texture.

For me it was a problem that unraveled slowly. The GP sent me to the hospital after two courses of antibiotics and my ear still hurt. Hospital was horrible, it hurt and he said nothing wrong with my ear... but I should see a dentist.

The dentist was so kind and after chatting (quite awkwardly to start with, as he asked if I'd suffered a recent bereavement?!) he said it appeared I had been clenching my teeth and I'd torn ligament etc. from vomiting. He was puzzled why so badly as yes, I'm a stress head but wasn't on the edge either. Anyway.the dentist's advice was good and a few early night with ibuprofen and a hot bottle did help - it was only 2 days later I woke up on my Mum's sofa a bit panicked as my ear was leaking!

Called GP again, he was horrified, he'd sent me to the hospital because of the flippin' boil in my ear!

So it probably couldn't have helped that the combo of ear pain and jaw clenching in getting to a diagnosis on that but ever since, if I get really aware of it. If I feel like I've been clenching then I get the guard out. Realistically tho, 50mg of amitriptyline probably works quite well.

I'll have a read tho

Sonia x

NothingNobody

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I’ve not heard of the teeth clenching theory before.

All of my family have a 'clicky jaw' when eating..

I also suffer from Trigeminal Neuralgia from time to time. That awful condition that feels like someone is hitting you on the side of your face with a brick many times a day. Not sure how it’s connected.

Your website is a long read, and I have to confess to scan reading it as the concentration isn’t as good as it used to be. As a retired solicitor, scan reading was a must.

Is it your website? If it is then congratulations on the details therein.

As Nick said, MS is so complex, there are many theories as to why it starts in some people...one day, some scientist someplace will scream ' Eureka....I’ve found the cause....now to the 'cure''

Are you still going through the diagnosis jungle? It would be nice to hear your experiences. And by all means ask as many questions as you wish.

It is quiet here right now, but members do drop by.

Scully

Yes, it is my site. I thought I had MS for several years and did some research. I looked at pretty much everything that was out there, stewed on it, and this is the most likely explanation for the illness from my perspective. Williams nailed down the mechanical force that causes the diffuse brain damage. Schelling nailed down the role of venous reflux causing the perivenous brain lesions and the lesions on the flanks of the spinal cord. Putting the two together explains most of MS while everyone else provides the supporting data and details.

I've come across many people with MS on forums describing various TMD symptoms like soreness, clicky jaws, jaw lock, etc. Functional left-right jaw imbalances are common and in individuals who have compromised cranial sutures, the consequences could be quite severe. The mechanical trauma to the brain in this model of MS would be asymmetrical, one side would suffer worse than the other and that is indeed the case in the RRMS/ SPMS phenotypes. Many of these patients experience symptoms that are worse on one side of the body. The underlying physical mechanics are not really any different than what is seen in a coup contrecoup injury. Has an explanation for asymmetrical symptoms and CNS deterioration ever been forthcoming from the autoimmune theory? Not really. Why would the immune system favor one side of the body over the other?

• Like 1

Nick

It's all very interesting.

I feel now that my MS had been with me for at least 20 years before diagnosis. The original symptoms I put down to 'other causes' and I just shrugged these odd passing symptoms off.

The interesting part is that at the age of 17 I had a very bad motorcycle accident in which I pretty much came out unscathed, a few broken bones, but nothing too serious (you bounce when you are young). Then 15 years before diagnosis I went on a seriously violent roller coaster ride in Holland and felt so bad afterwards that I never ever wanted to go on anything like that again!! Then about 5 years before I ran into serious problems with MS I had an accident with a inflatable armchair on a ship ( don't laugh!) I 'over bounced' and landed on the back of my neck!! Thought I was lucky I didn't break it! Hurt like hell for a month.

So any connection between trauma and my MS??

Nick

NothingNobody

It's all very interesting.

I feel now that my MS had been with me for at least 20 years before diagnosis. The original symptoms I put down to 'other causes' and I just shrugged these odd passing symptoms off.

The interesting part is that at the age of 17 I had a very bad motorcycle accident in which I pretty much came out unscathed, a few broken bones, but nothing too serious (you bounce when you are young). Then 15 years before diagnosis I went on a seriously violent roller coaster ride in Holland and felt so bad afterwards that I never ever wanted to go on anything like that again!! Then about 5 years before I ran into serious problems with MS I had an accident with a inflatable armchair on a ship ( don't laugh!) I 'over bounced' and landed on the back of my neck!! Thought I was lucky I didn't break it! Hurt like hell for a month.

So any connection between trauma and my MS??

Nick

I can't say for sure whether or not there is a connection between the trauma you experienced and your specific case of MS. It's possible that it may have had a role.

The role of trauma precipitating MS is a very contentious topic because of legal cases of people arguing that an accident resulted in them developing MS. Lawyers and patients are trying to win settlements while doctors are arguing that any connection is bogus. Physical trauma increasing the risk of developing MS is basically impossible to explain in the autoimmune theory. One large study in Taiwan did find an increased risk of developing MS after a traumatic brain injury.

The main risk factors of head/neck trauma causing MS in this model are the acquired problems to the C1/C2 articulation and potential development of TMD. It's noteworthy that acquired C1/C2 hypermobility from trauma very closely mimics hereditary C1/C2 hypermobility in Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS). EDS patients develop MS at 10 times the rate of the general population, a most striking finding.

There's a section on physical trauma and MS risk on the site:

http://houseofenoch.com/diseases/multiple-sclerosis/#trauma

Nick

Many thanks for all the info. Wow you seem very well read up on it all.

Nick

• Like 1

Sleepy
Scully

Thanks from me too. It’s always good to read about these theories.

Just keep hoping that the mysteries will unravel and somebody may do something to help this disease.

Thanks again for all the information

Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Balanced
Happymama

My dentist said that I'd done a bit of grinding, by dental evidence.  I tap out music with my teeth, sometimes.  It's an autistic thing.  No idea what I do at night, but I also have spontaneous jaw regression so half my bottom teeth are loose.  My jaw bone is receding.

I have a 'click' in the left jaw.  We're a hyper mobile family and it might be that.  My grandfather had it too, and my cartilage disc came out once so I couldn't shut my mouth, but then popped back in, and a second time it moved enough to bother nerves so I had tingling for a few days but managed to reseat that one too.