The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Happymama

The Peri-menopause

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Balanced
Happymama

Hi.  Well, during my divorce in 2006 I started on the Peri-menopause. I was 40.  My mum menopaused at 46, my nana sooner.  Hot Flushes were the clear indicator, as were  Aunty Flo visits unexpected and heavy.  2008 was the last hot flush.  They cleared up once I was away from the stress.  

BUT - then came the cysts in my boobs.  After time, a boob scan, (and fluid removal through needles - boy, that hurt.  I said I'll put up with rock solid boobs, thanks all the same.), they went away to be replaced with palpitations.  

Two years of them.  All ruddy day, every day.  Had a ECG at the GP's - needle all over the shop.  Went for a heart scan, all very normal (nice for a 44 yo to hear) but watched it heave and stop, start and heave while the pressure builds up in my head and oxygen deserts my lungs.  It's hard going up stairs when you're having palpitations.  

They went away, to be replaced with super dry skin.  Once a week I would get in a bath of warm water, wait half an hour, and then begin rubbing.  One hour later, the water is grey and there's sludge in the bottom and I get out shiny.

Then I discovered urea.  It both draws moisture from the environment but also from the lower skin to the keratin layer on top that I rubbed off every week.  CCS foot cream, to be precise.  Have sourced a great big tub from Amazon with a pump and apply twice a week all over - no dry skin.  It's a blinking miracle.  It's taken seven years to find this so elegant solution!

Then Tuesday I had a hot flush.  I get palpitations still in the week before Auntie Flo visits, which is all the ruddy warning I get, with a cycle that's switched from 28 days calendar accuracy for decades, to anything from 21 to 65 days.  It's all hormonal.  

Within the time scale I also had full body nerve tests - because of my symptoms. I had a scan of head and neck on a 3 tesla bed - nix found but then, perhaps a 7 tesla might have ...

Also had full bloods done with the most exhaustive tests. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with me.  Healthiest patient on my GP's practice, he told me.  Don't even get colds. I've had two since 2009 (mind you, that was Swine Flu - and boy, was I ILL)

You men have no idea ...

• Sad 1

Vegged Out
Shirl

Hi @Happymama

My menopause was an instant success after years of horrendous "women's problems"...success? instant? Yep, total hysterectomy and bi-lateral oophrectomy. I was 45.

Then came 17 years of replacement oestrogen via skin patches. I weaned myself off those, very gradually, last year. Now I too have dry skin etc (that's a big etc) but I'm only suffering from the thought of having no oestrogen, I think.

I used to think men had no idea... while married to a man that didn't. Lovely hubby #2 is amazing!

There's hope yet for your feminine future.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Balanced
Happymama

Do have a look at CCS foot cream  - you can get it in Boots,  a squeeze tube for starters.  It soaks in lovely (I hate feeling like a half cooked chip myself) and has no scent after a few minutes.  Every three days seems to be adequate but my face needs doing every two, and also if I've a tan - shows what damage tanning does to the skin! 

You can up the oestrogen naturally with the diet.  

I'm still ticking so haven't bothered yet. Mind you, currently I'm on day 62 with nary a palpitation in sight.

Vegged Out
Shirl
41 minutes ago, Happymama said:

'm still ticking so haven't bothered yet. Mind you, currently I'm on day 62 with nary a palpitation in sight.

Hi Happymama

I'm really glad you are minus those scary palpitations. And, yes, diet is important for oestrogen, post-menopause.

I had never relied on supplements but now take a daily one aimed at "women of a certain age". After a gap of a few months when I thought I'd be fine, I'm taking them again. I use a supermarket equivalent and, a month in, my skin and hair are much more supple.

My moisturiser is M&S Formula and also a great friend. And I'm lucky enough to have my feet cared for by my beauty lady, but I used an Australian urea-based foot cream before.

Also, I don't think you can beat a good warm soak in a bowl or foot-spa! Your feet and nervous system both benefit.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Balanced
Happymama

The dry skin has gone. How odd!

But ... 10 weeks and no Aunty Flo.  Then - Armabloodygeddon.  Every time I stand up, down it drops.  WOOSH.  Six days of it.  

Then again at 21 days, five days of minor Armabloodygeddon.  Still Woosh but not so much.

But where did the dry skin go?  

Balanced
Happymama

I've been eating tofu twice a week, and have gone from ten plus hot flushes to none.  Day 88 and no Aunty Flo.  Dry skin is still here but seems to have some better days.  

The girls and I decided to drop red meat to once every two weeks or so, chicken twice between, fish too and the rest veggie, in a two week cycle.  Tofu has been a revelation to the girls, I have a block currently under the old cast iron flat iron squeezing.  Then you cut it into 1cm squares and marinate, it all gets sucked in.  Then roll in cornflour till coated, and fry till golden.  Today it will be fishy flavours, as I've had seabass for lunch. I can roll fennel seeds and dill in the fishy buttery stuff in the pan and mix that into the marinade, and coat the fingers of tofu in dried seaweed, more dill and lime zest.  They're going in bread buns like proper fish finger sandwiches, and served with wedges done in the actifry.

My food bill has dropped from £80 to less than £60 and that's with two week's worth of dog food, two bottles of wine and half a bottle of whisky.  

I'm even light on symptoms  - the very occasional electric shock in my left toes, and the odd flappy skin twitch for half an hour or so.  I'm not looking forward to the next episode of Quentin Tarantino style armabloodygeddon but oooh, I might not ...

Balanced
Happymama

Hooray, six months now and over.  So another six months and I can get my libido and energy and sleep back from the GP.  I'll have been past the Neuro by then (all things being equal) and might well be on something for the symptoms too.  Here's hoping.

Still get the odd palpitation, but the hot flushes seem to have gone.