The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Shirl

Strictly dancing fans unite

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

Vegged Out
Shirl

It is Saturday evening in early autumn and that means SCD in this home. Both DH and I are addicted to the colours, special effects, dances, music - all of it. For us, it is feel-good factor full on.

So far this series, we think the elimination last week was fair. So, no nastiness, who would you like to see leave next? And who might win this year?

Copy and paste this text where appropriate please

:cheerleader:SPOILER ALERT - THIS THREAD IS GOING TO HAVE THE ODD ONE OR TWO:cheerleader:

Edited by Shirl
to add spoiler alert text

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Sluggish
Marina

Ooh, Shirl, now you've got me going! I'm a great SCD fan too. We didn't start watching it, though, till about the 4th series.

Yes, last week's elimination was definitely fair! I do feel sorry for Anton, though, he tends to always get the duff dancers! Except, this year, he maybe had one with whom he couldn't manage to turn it into a comedy dance...

Each year, the costumes, hair and make-up, and stage effects get better and better.

It's week 3, Movie week, a good Movie week this year, I think. I do find that the celebrities become less and less known to me each year. Consequently, I can hardly remember who's who this year! The best-known of all to me is Danny, as I watch Death in Paradise and he's so memorable (and funny) in it.

I think the early weeks often have unpredictable dance-offs, mostly as the Great British Public tend to give out sympathy votes to those who are less able to dance but who are either funny or who have personalities or something about them that they like. Sometimes, they vote for their favourite pro rather than the celebrity! It can make it a bit unfair at times, though, especially when two better dancers end up in the dance-off as a result.

I find I can get a bit annoyed when someone has obviously had some obvious dance training from the start. Many of those who've been on stage, tend to have had dance classes at stage school, even if they're not dancers as such. I know their experience may not specifically be in ballroom or latin, but it still gives them a bit of an unfair advantage. Two obvious ones this year for me (as an ex-dancer, I can recognise it when I see it!) are ... hang on whilst I check their names ... Faye (in particular) and Ashley. So, whilst they should be favourites, I tend to sort of ignore them. Danny has some dance experience too, as he apparently taught disco dancing, or so he said, but that's hardly ballroom! But he's one of my favourites at the moment. I was initially quite impressed by Charles, although I'm not sure yesterday's dance was up to his previous weeks, or maybe it was the choreography. Right now, at this moment, my mind's gone blank for the names of the other, mostly unknown to me, celebrities!

I like to see those who start off with two left feet and go on to develop into quite good dancers.

Also, this year, the dancing levels of contestants is closer than previous years, making it harder to guess who might be in the final 4. Which is how it should be.

I also think the costumes and music can play a part in who votes for who. If the music is on the heavy rock or punk side, I tend to find it ugly and off-putting as it's not suited to these types of dance.

I'm guessing Lee might in the dance-off again this week, especially as the judges were perhaps a bit too harsh on him, putting him at the bottom of the leaderboard. As for who else might be in the dance-off, who knows, it's a close call this week.

I do wish they wouldn't keep up the silly pretence of the dance-off being on a Sunday night and would stop referring to "last" and "Saturday" night. Or do they really think the public so stupid as to think the entire audience stays the night in the studio and don't change clothes the next day?!

PS - I can't stand Tess... and whilst I find Claudia OK in the auditorium, her jokes (if you can call them that) are way beyond bad...

PS - Bruno is getting more and more annoying each year. Despite her being the only true ballroom dancer, I find Shirley inconsistent in her scores and comments, and her voice annoys me (sorry!). Whilst I absolutely adore Darcy as a ballerina (and was lucky enough to see her the day she became "famous" when, as an understudy, she stepped into the prima ballerina role in The Prince of the Pagodas, or maybe it was a different ballet, I forget now), her voice and expressions can sometime grate onme, she's my 2nd favourite judge. Rather surprisingly to me, Craig is now my favourite judge, even if he is sometimes on the rather harsh side!

PS - I've never watched Take 2 or whatever it's called, so I might be missing out on backgrounds etc.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Vegged Out
Shirl
41 minutes ago, Marina said:

Ooh, Shirl, now you've got me going! I'm a great SCD fan too. We didn't start watching it, though, till about the 4th series.

Even spookier... just looked it up and series 4 (2006) is when my addiction began. Must have been something to do with being settled/married the year before. 

42 minutes ago, Marina said:

Each year, the costumes, hair and make-up, and stage effects get better and better.

It is a very professional production now. Last night was just right - nothing over the top. Even the Minions (Kev & Stacie) were convincing without using silly props in their clothing, just the goggles. I loved all of it, even though I have no theatrical of dancing background. Unless you count being a stoat in Toad of Toad Hall (East Dereham High School for Girls 1966) or Demetrius in A Midsummer's Night Dream (St John's School, Episkopi 1969ish) but that was more of a read through production so doesn't count as 'acting'. My dancing experience runs to an attempt at ballroom in my Swindon school's attempt at preparing the Upper Sixth for Society... which, for me, amounted to head banging numbers at Teacher's Training College (I was pre-University trained and still think it was better preparation for the classroom).

50 minutes ago, Marina said:

I find I can get a bit annoyed when someone has obviously had some obvious dance training from the start... I like to see those who start off with two left feet and go on to develop into quite good dancers

I do too but Susannah's feet were neither left nor right. I felt her early exit was a coup for all those women whose 'friends' sent them to be prodded and humiliated by Trinny & Susannah, although that was mild compared with Gok and his 'shapewear'. I still shun his so-called range at TU/Sainsburys. I am just not his kind of womanly shape.

1 hour ago, Marina said:

Two obvious ones this year for me (as an ex-dancer, I can recognise it when I see it!) are ... hang on whilst I check their names ... Faye (in particular) and Ashley.

I watched these girls last night and enjoyed their skills enormously but agree it hasn't all happened in 4-5 weeks worth of training. But singers have an innate sense of tune and rhythm (Craig's 'musicality') and yes, actors have often had dance in the background, even if only the local rep group while at school and treading the boards in the holidays or weekends. I escaped the sequin-sewing by having boys. It was planned. God knew what he was doing.

1 hour ago, Marina said:

I'm guessing Lee might [be] in the dance-off again this week, especially as the judges were perhaps a bit too harsh on him, putting him at the bottom of the leaderboard. As for who else might be in the dance-off, who knows, it's a close call this week.

I do wish they wouldn't keep up the silly pretence of the dance-off being on a Sunday night and would stop referring to "last" and "Saturday" night. Or do they really think the public so stupid as to think the entire audience stays the night in the studio and don't change clothes the next day?!

The Public Vote becomes more farcical each year - hence all the visiting old schools and shopping centres to 'show you a bit of what we're doing this weekend'.

The Sunday night reveal is idiotic and quite irritating. I'm sure there is a break after the main show when the pros strut their group dance, the presenters and judges get all dolled up again and the audience can change around seats, after a wee. Then the Sunday night begins - close to Sunday morning being nearer the truth.

I hate to tell you but there is a naughty (not rude) forum place where the result is published. No idea how they get away with it. It is a bit like peeping through the wrapping paper under the Christmas tree. I've looked twice... the first time was a Spirograph set (I was 10)  and the other occasion was a let-down because I did not like watching the results show knowing something Pete didn't. Oh yes, he joined my Sat TV date around about 2 series after me. Saturday is his footy day but he is just as transfixed by SCD.

1 hour ago, Marina said:

PS - I can't stand Tess... and whilst I find Claudia OK in the auditorium, her jokes (if you can call them that) are way beyond bad...

PS - Bruno is getting more and more annoying each year. Despite her being the only true ballroom dancer, I find Shirley inconsistent in her scores and comments, and her voice annoys me (sorry!). Whilst I absolutely adore Darcy as a ballerina (and was lucky enough to see her the day she became "famous" when, as an understudy, she stepped into the prima ballerina role in The Prince of the Pagodas, or maybe it was a different ballet, I forget now), her voice and expressions can sometime grate onme, she's my 2nd favourite judge. Rather surprisingly to me, Craig is now my favourite judge, even if he is sometimes on the rather harsh side!

PS - I've never watched Take 2 or whatever it's called, so I might be missing out on backgrounds etc.

Tess & Claud are, IMHO, more professional than Sir Bruce, RIP. However, Tess is much thinner this year and last night made a few gaffs. Doing any type of TV year after year must have its drawbacks... for the public.

How funny (coincidental) that I too trust Craig, then Darcy! They will say what needs fixing and if Craig doesn't like something, I've usually noticed it too. Darcy seems to have stopped her head-turn-to-Craig when he marks 'too low'. Her face says it but her head is still. I'm sure Shirley is trying to compete with Darcy but lacks natural grace and elegance, although clearly she knows the ballroom floor well. Bruno was a PITA last night!

We watched Take 2 for one season. It was 2 much. Living, eating and breathing the show through the weekdays spoiled the Saturday night (and 'Sunday evening'.)

Talking of which, I think Lee will dance again (who was it said to which celebrity - 'I could watch that again' - a prediction?) which is a shame given that he has the musicality gene from Blue, surely? Plus, I said last night, he had too many layers to his clothing which can't have helped. Am I being picky?

Let's hope more members join in - we could have an entertaining SCD thread for weeks ahead. Help!

Sluggish
Marina
23 hours ago, Shirl said:

I hate to tell you but there is a naughty (not rude) forum place where the result is published. No idea how they get away with it.

Shhh... Yes, I know about it too, for a few years now... If it's the same place as yours, they have a "mole" or two in the audience or studio who phone in the results the minute they're out of the studio.

23 hours ago, Shirl said:

Tess is much thinner this year and last night made a few gaffs

I can't help it, she just comes across to me as so artificial.

The dance-off - was it a surprise, or did you expect either of them to be in it?

Marina

Vegged Out
Shirl
1 hour ago, Marina said:

Shhh... Yes, I know about it too, for a few years now... If it's the same place as yours, they have a "mole" or two in the audience or studio who phone in the results the minute they're out of the studio.

I am a mole and I live in a hole... nah, not really. :hairraising:

1 hour ago, Marina said:

The dance-off - was it a surprise, or did you expect either of them to be in it?

I expected the one that was eliminated to be in the dance-off and hopefully eliminated rather than anyone else.

:cheerleader:SPOILER ALERT - THIS THREAD IS GOING TO HAVE THE ODD ONE OR TWO:cheerleader:

I thought the jacket encumbered the person so it was interesting that the person did not wear it for the dance off.

I'm getting quite good at telling the telly what should happen next. Pete does it with the football commentaries - word perfect. With me it's Escape to the Country and SCD! With ETTC I have Google Maps and Earth open to follow them around - now that is sad! :sadangel:

• Like 1

Vegged Out
Shirl

Hi everyone

Are Marina and I the only SCD fans? Surely not! If you can ignore the "up close dance training leads to inappropriate closeness" curse, the Mon-Fri media/BBC One hype, and stay in on Saturday evenings, the spectacle of dance is uplifting.

So, come on, join Marina and me in our post-Saturday night / pre-Sunday night deliberations. 

• Like 1

Sluggish
Marina

Week 4, and it looks like maybe you, Shirl, and I must be the only Strictly fans here..!  :headscratch:

Another aspect I think some people might prefer to ignore are the VTs (Video Takes) before each dance. There's too much silly rubbish with supposed tricks to get the celeb to dance better, like going to race tracks, funfairs or clubs, etc, and too little genuine takes from rehearsals. I'm also not fond of their bringing in friends, family and children to ooh and ahh at them, as if the producers want to gain your sympathy for them.

It's a very close call this week as I think it might be each week, apart from the obvious 2 (Faye and Ashely, despite Faye's lower score this week), as for once almost everybody else is on a par. The judges' scores were also pretty even for the middle of the leaderboard. I thought there was some inconsistent scoring - again. Shirley knocks points off for mistakes for some dancers, but adds one for Sean because he “covered his mistake so well” - but so have some of the others, and they don't get extra points! Or are they over-marking in the hope of keeping him in, in case the public were put off by "kiss-gate"?  :dunno:

The judges always appear to have favourites, whom they over-mark, and then there are those they (regularly?) under-mark. Makes you wonder if the PTB (Powers That Be) at the Beeb have some hold over this. The leaderboard is never shown for long enough for me to see, let alone remember, who's where on it; I wish they'd leave it on screen a bit longer! But I thought Charles was under-marked,  and maybe Danny too, and ... whoops, MS brain fart moment! ...  I've forgotten who was over-marked, but there was at least one.

I also think it's wrong of the judges, again it's Shirley I'm thinking of most, giving a standing ovation for a dance that doesn't get a 12 (yes, more than 10!).

Who seems to be coming along nicely and improving? Quite a few! Vick was good this week. Graeme's surprised me as I thought he was going to be one of those with two left feet; I doubt he'll make it to the final but he's improved a lot from week 1, and he's entertaining to boot, which is unusual for a sportsman (or cricketer)?

Who's in danger of being in the dance-off? I think it might well be the two who were at the bottom of the leaderboard (I actually do remember seeing those), Kate and Katie. We'll see what the GBP (Great British Public) think, as it often seems to be more of a popularity than dance contest with the public. If Katie does end up in the dance-off, I'll feel a bit sorry for her. It's true she's not the best dancer, but (like many this year, for a change) she's never danced and has tried to improve, and who can't help but admire her for her work with people who've suffered extensive burns, like she herself has.

As an aside, who are your favourite pro dancers?

PS - Bruno is off next week, so we can take a breather from his silly antics and no doubt Shirley will be relieved that she won't risk some injury from his flying arms!

Marina

Vegged Out
Shirl
4 hours ago, Marina said:

Another aspect I think some people might prefer to ignore are the VTs (Video Takes) before each dance.

Yes, we do seem to be the only SCD experts... who can refute that?

My feeling is the same! If they (PTB) kept each couple on a level playing field - no interviews, TV, school or workplace visits, plenty of practice then home to the family, treat is as a job - then maybe the GBP would be forced to watch the ruddy dancing, ignore the personalities, taking no notice of the other GBP (Great British Press) and vote for their favourite dancing pair based a little on personality and a lot on the standard of the dance.

4 hours ago, Marina said:

It's a very close call this week as I think it might be each week, apart from the obvious 2 (Faye and Ashely, despite Faye's lower score this week), as for once almost everybody else is on a par.

There was no standout dance for me this week. I decide my favourites each week based on the way I feel as they dance.

• Do they set my teeth on edge - less marks for cringe-worthiness?
  • Am I aware there are too many mistakes and panic-attack faces? Do I feel on edge, waiting for a huge miss-step or fall? Will he drop her?
  • Are there too many gimmicks before the pair dance?
  • Is the content worthy of the dance? 
  • Am I simply wowed whatever the critics say?
23 hours ago, Marina said:

I also think it's wrong of the judges, again it's Shirley I'm thinking of most, giving a standing ovation for a dance that doesn't get a 12 (yes, more than 10!).

Surely Shirley (sigh, such an old joke and I should know) should leave standing ovations for the final? I love the spectacle of it all but I'm aware strings are pulled by all the production crew/PTB etc such that we cannot possibly think we're seeing the real McCoy. Have you read Chart Throb by Ben Elton? Worth a library search or Kindle purchase. Most illuminating.

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:57, Marina said:

Who's in danger of being in the dance-off?

I'd have said the bottom 2 before last night... I think the right one went and admired her for being honest about it. She has been through the school of hard knocks though so it must be really disheartening. I haven't read any of her book(s), probably because I'm not into celebrity stuff so didn't know who she is until SCD. It is good that not all contestants are fully able now - there's hope for us both!

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:57, Marina said:

As an aside, who are your favourite pro dancers?

PS - Bruno is off next week, so we can take a breather from his silly antics and no doubt Shirley will be relieved that she won't risk some injury from his flying arms!

Of the Pro dancers, I think Karen and Kevin were always lovely - sob they have separated. Whoever dances to the guest singers (weren't they awful on Sat/Sun evening?) always look great to me! I am a bit tired of the more earthy stuff!

Bruno will be replaced by some other expert next week - there was heavy criticism when there were three judges left last year. One week, Donny Osmond sat at the top table making 5 of them... perhaps he was supposed to replace Bruno but dates got mixed up or changed.

On we go to the 5th week... catch up everyone or else you will miss it all!

Sluggish
Marina
30 minutes ago, Shirl said:

Yes, we do seem to be the only SCD experts... who can refute that?

Well, if nobody else wants to join in, I'm sure some might enjoy simple reading your and my comments :huladancer:

30 minutes ago, Shirl said:

Do they set my teeth on edge - less marks for cringe-worthiness?

Do you mean the celeb's personality, or the dance on the whole? There have been celebs very occasionally in the past who made me cringe just by something related to their personality, no matter how good or bad they were as a dancer, so I tend to dismiss them altogether. Unfair, I know, but I can't help it.

If the costumes look bad and the music is awful (simply not suitable for that dance), then yes, it can make the dance appear to be less good than it actually is.

31 minutes ago, Shirl said:
  • Are there too many gimmicks before the pair dance? 
  • Is the content worthy of the dance? 

That's usually down to the choreography, and maybe the producers for the gimmicks at the start of a dance. I always think it's unfair when a judge marks a dance down based on the choreography either not being correct for that particular dance or not to their liking, as it's not the celeb's fault, especially when they've danced it well. The pros, of course, should know better, but it's still not fair on the celeb.

31 minutes ago, Shirl said:

Am I simply wowed whatever the critics say?

I can be, yes, especially if a lower score is given for the choreography (as above).

32 minutes ago, Shirl said:

Have you read Chart Throb by Ben Elton? Worth a library search or Kindle purchase. Most illuminating.

No, I've not read it but, reading its description, I can see how it might apply to SCD and other such shows.

32 minutes ago, Shirl said:

Of the Pro dancers, I think Karen and Kevin were always lovely - sob they have separated.

Awww, we'll have to disagree on this one, I'm afraid. Kevin is one of my least favourite! Maybe as I find him a bit of a wally... I didn't know they'd separated, was it due to a Strictly curse?

My favourite all time pro was Artem, who went off to the US to dance in Dancing with the Stars, their gain and our loss. I have a penchant for all the Russian (or ex-USSR) dancers, like Pasha. They tend to move more fluidly and with more... I don't know how to express it... "expression" in their movements. Artem was also a superb choreographer. Of the women, I'm finding I like Oti more and more, and she has legs up to her armpits (like Darcey)!

33 minutes ago, Shirl said:

Whoever dances to the guest singers (weren't they awful on Sat/Sun evening?) always look great to me!

'Twas The Backstreet Boys, getting on a bit now... not that I ever cared for them in their time. And, they had no pro dancers dancing. I think there are occasional guest singers who don't want the focus taken away from their act and refuse to have the pros dance, as I've seen this happen on the rare occasion. If that's the case, it's not impressive!

33 minutes ago, Shirl said:

One week, Donny Osmond sat at the top table making 5 of them...

I remember that! And then he dished out a not-worthy 10, much to everybody's surprise!

I don't know why the public don't seem to like Charles, not that the judges' votes help him any. He's better than some of the others on the lower end of the leaderboard. I find him quite good for someone who's not really danced before. Apart from taking strides that were perhaps a bit too long, I thought his salsa (or was it a samba?) was good; many men are hopeless at it, as hip movements and things like isolations don't come so naturally to them - although it can take a while to learn isolations and figures of 8, whether it be hips, ribs, or shoulders. It was a bit like that last year with Davood, I think it was, and his popularity with the public; but he eventually managed to escape the dance-off and ended up being close to the final.

I'm quite looking forward to the new style dances from next week, but only the stage/jazz style one. I'm not a fan of contemporary, although it can sometimes be OK, and I'm most definitely not a fan of street dancing!

Marina

Vegged Out
Shirl
17 hours ago, Marina said:

Well, if nobody else wants to join in, I'm sure some might enjoy simple reading your and my comments

And the door is always open!

Do you mean the celeb's personality, or the dance onthe whole?

I mean the sum of all parts - whether the performance, dancing and entertainment value don't make this non-dancer embarrassed for the celebrity.

I always think it's unfair when a judge marks a dance down based on the choreography

I always get annoyed as soon as reference is made to the choreography and style of the dance, including "illegal" lifts. However, I presume it is within the judges' remit to judge the couple rather than the celeb alone. Perhaps this is the crux of the difference often, in the way the GBP vote. 

Of the women, I'm finding I like Oti more and more

Yes, Oti is so flexible! And funny too. Nothing seems to faze her.

On the Kissgate saga, did you spot Neil on camera behind Claudia while she chatted to his wife and Sean? It was obviously intended to be his "everything is fine" moment but he couldn't raise the glimmer of a smile. She might claim all is well between them but he looked as though it is painful for him.

I think there are occasional guest singers who don't want the focus taken away from theiract and refuse to have the pros dance

Yes, exactly. The BBoys did not curry favour with me. It was a staged and wooden medley... or reminder of who they perceive they once were. Who could dance to that anyway?

I'm quite looking forward to the new style dances from next week, but only the stage/jazz style one.

As I can claim no dance expertise, I'm looking forward to the three dances, to see how they're portrayed and what the judges think. For the couples it's an unknown quantity and risk.

And now, my SCD correspondent, it's Showertime here. Carer due at ten.

Vegged Out
Shirl

Here we are again, hours from the dancing that we have dissected and discussed until there is not much left to say...

... except... questions for afterwards:

1. which duo did you enjoy best tonight?
  2. which duo was probably the best, ignoring the judicial comments and marks?
  3. did you like the guest judge?
  4. did you see ANYTHING/ANYONE that irritated you, a lot?
  5. any other comments

I will pop in with my responses tomorrow morning/afternoon - it's a busy time at ShirlD Mansions but I've been looking for new material on here.

1,2,3... heel... (SCD Fans will know what this is about).

Sluggish
Marina

1.which duo did you enjoy best tonight?

Danny. Especially given his age. That jive was fast, and he can still kick his leg up at a 90 degree angle, straight not bent.

2.which duo was probably the best, ignoring the judicial comments and marks?

Danny.

Others might say Ashley but, as even judge Shirley said, it takes years to be able to continuously spin like that, so it’s not something she learnt to do in a week or two; nor are développés or ronds-de-jambe like she can do.

There’s always at least one (very) good dancer that I either dislike or can’t warm to every year. This year, I’m afraid it’s Ashley and Faye.

3.did you like the guest judge?

Hmmm, not sure. A bit loud and “showy” at times, eccentric or funny at others. On the whole, though, kind - but I expect most guest judges would be. Either way, it was nice to have a break from Bruno!

I never think it’s a good idea to have someone as a judge just because they won a Strictly or Dancing with the Stars, it doesn’t make them as expert in dance as the others.

4.did you see ANYTHING/ANYONE that irritated you, a lot?

Not that I can now remember (I’m super tired today), apart from the usual awful jokes and VTs, etc.

5.any other comments

I was very impressed by Graeme! He’s come a long way from week 1 and is visibly improving.

I wasn’t impressed by the contemporary dance with Lauren... her moves were mostly lifts rather than dance steps.

I was glad to see Charles do so well, and he'll hopefully therefore not be in the dance-off! I seem to be in the minority who likes him as a dancer? But being high on the leaderboard this week, I guess he'd have to be really very low in popularity to end up in the dance-off again.

• Love 1

Marina

Vegged Out
Shirl

Hi Marina

Great post! Especially as you are so tired. Poor you. I'm having a burst of creative energy but hate knowing I will wake one day to find it has gone, leaving me unable to meet my self-imposed deadlines. 

I will be back with my own responses later. I made notes to help my non-dancer brain recall points of possible interest.

Take care of yourself please

:flowers2:

• Like 1

Vegged Out
Shirl

Well, a WEEK has gone by...excuses, reasons, apologies...all apply. We have been getting (whisper...Christmas pressies) ready for DH's son, wife & family...they are visiting us this weekend, from oop norf. It is lovely to buy what you want to give and not watch the weight. No parcelling, no postage. Just pretty wrapping (me) and gorgeous chocolate cake (DH is baking and happy!) It is all rather early but we see so little of them.

Where were we, Marina?

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎21 at 12:16, Marina said:

1.which duo did you enjoy best tonight?

Danny. Especially given his age. That jive was fast, and he can still kick his leg up at a 90 degree angle, straight not bent.

We enjoyed Danny in his flying gear, jiving around the floor. Guest Judge (GJ) said: Mother Earth is where the power comes from (in relation to moving legs correctly, I think it was. Marina may know!) Craig (CRH) predicted For the final! DB got very excited indeed. SB was vocal and active - ah-may-zing! The scores proved it: 9-10-9-9.

2.which duo was probably the best, ignoring the judicial comments and marks?

Danny.

Others might say Ashley but, as even judge Shirley said, it takes years to be able to continuously spin like that, so it’s not something she learnt to do in a week or two; nor are développés or ronds-de-jambe like she can do.

There’s always at least one (very) good dancer that I either dislike or can’t warm to every year. This year, I’m afraid it’s Ashley and Faye.

I was coping with Ashley and Faye until I spotted some camera-love. Posing while talking to Claudia - big No. Be natural! I really enjoyed the combination of an Elton song and the rumba until that spin. At that point I thought Oh come on! Ashley has NOT learned that this week. Undisclosed training, possibly as a singer-dancer. So that is that for me too. Not from a dancer's viewpoint - from a shrewd watcher's eye.

After last week, and I made notes---a blessing as I could not write this a week later otherwise---other than Danny, I really enjoyed Charles and Karen. I know it wasn't your thing, Marina, but I found it very clever and quirky - an entertainment that the judges happened to like too.

3.did you like the guest judge?

Hmmm, not sure. A bit loud and “showy” at times, eccentric or funny at others. On the whole, though, kind - but I expect most guest judges would be. Either way, it was nice to have a break from Bruno!

I never think it’s a good idea to have someone as a judge just because they won a Strictly or Dancing with the Stars, it doesn’t make them as expert in dance as the others.

I thought the GJ brought the WORST out in SB. Has she judged in USA? She seemed to be auditioning for Dancing with the Stars as a judge. And also flirting! Not going to get her very far with GJ if I'm any judge of matters of the heart and body, but jetting back and forwards across the pond might be her next game plan. Despite our names, I can't warm to SB. She switches from over-exact in her dance comments to over-zealous in her praise, minus dance comments. She was on Who Do You Think You Are? We enjoyed her story and warmed to her as a human being but, as Head Judge, she isn't a patch on Len...or DB on her right arm!

4.did you see ANYTHING/ANYONE that irritated you, a lot?

Not that I can now remember (I’m super tired today), apart from the usual awful jokes and VTs, etc.

The VTs are aimed at those that vote - the GPB. The jokes make the show accessible to the whole family, I think. I do think the whole show is a good thing for Saturday (and Sunday!) TV entertainment. Infinitely better than growing up with Val Doonican, his sweaters and rocking chair, or Cilla Black 'singing'.

I was super irritated by (checks notebook, I know there was something)  Sean and Katya. I'd rather see them canoodling than skipping the quick step.

5.any other comments

I was very impressed by Graeme! He’s come a long way from week 1 and is visibly improving.

I wasn’t impressed by the contemporary dance with Lauren... her moves were mostly lifts rather than dance steps.

I was glad to see Charles do so well, and he'll hopefully therefore not be in the dance-off! I seem to be in the minority who likes him as a dancer? But being high on the leaderboard this week, I guess he'd have to be really very low in popularity to end up in the dance-off again.

Me too for Graeme. (What a sentence, Me). I thought his Tango face was ace. I also love that song, but preferred George Michael's Songs from the Last Century version!

I'm trying to enjoy watching Kate but she reminds me of the Head Girl who loved herself and never noticed the likes of me. :catmilk:MEOW! It is also about her dancing - her height seems to get in the way. CRH was sitting on the fence in his judication last week - he brought out his 6 paddle, in line with fellow judges other than GJ who was just OTT anyway.

I thought Charles deserved his place away from the dance-off. Vick or Sean? I would have chucked Sean but Vick's score 4 points lower than him made her eviction fair, I suppose. I'm just not enjoying the Sean face in this scenario. Put him back onPlay to the Whistle. He is funny there. Droll.

I'm struggling with/for Joe and Dianne despite encouraging remarks and scores from The Judges. Joe looks scared silly by it all but is probably soaking up the experience for a whole year of vlogging. Not a typo.

Two questions for THIS WEEK:

1. Which TWO celebrities would you place in the final line-up?

2. Which celebrity is going out THIS WEEK?

Over to you Marina - and someone else, please. Don't leave the two of us prattling alone!

I'm not sure if we are watching on time this week as we have visitors but I will do my best to return here far faster! Possibly I will give the notebook a miss as it is rather distracting. I can always run through the recorded show, of course. While typing to you lovely SCD watchers.

Have a good weekend. Since ours includes the most divine chocolate cake and lovely company, we're sorted.

Sluggish
Marina

I have no idea what Guest Judge meant by Mother Earth comment... maybe he was trying to make some reference to keeping one’s feet firmly on the ground, thereby affecting the strength in his legs?

I did enjoy Charles’s dance, even if they referred to it as “street dance”. I tend to think of “street” dance as being the type of dance you often see on BGT, the type Diversity do, which is really not up my street! Charles’s dance wasn’t like that, thankfully.

Judge Shirley is inconsistent all the time, just as you described.

I’m struggling with Joe too. He seems forgettable to me, so I tend to ... forget about him!

I think I’m finding this year’s Strictly less exciting than previously. I can’t think why, other than maybe the celebs aren’t all that memorable to me, perhaps it’s something to do with their personalities?

That’s a tricky one for me this year. Often, I can pick the 4 finalists from week 1 or 2. But as it seems it might be a closer call than usual this year, I can’t quite do so. I can only say who I’d like to see in the final (at this still early stage), being Danny and Charles although I suspect Charles won't be due to his often not being popular with either the judges or the public.

Again, a tricky one as there are at least 3 who could be out this week. Also, it might depend on what dance they’re doing, especially as it’s Halloween week when dances can be so entertaining even if not so well danced and which could therefore gain votes.

I’d say (and would like) Seann to leave, except Judge Shirley seems to favour him... Will the GBP still vote him down this week?

I’m not sure we’ll be watching live this week either. Well done for taking notes, I’d not be capable of it (and tend to have dinner whilst watching).

Enjoy your chocolate cake and the company of your visiting family!

Marina

Sluggish
Marina

As a bit of light entertainment whilst waiting for the results show, I thought some of you may like to see Darcey Bussell dancing on Strictly (if you haven't already seen it).

• Thanks 1

Marina

Vegged Out
Shirl

Thanks @marina I hadn't realised she had competed or appeared on SCD. She is fabulous and definitely knows what she is talking about. 

Sluggish
Marina

Glad you liked them, Shirl!

She wasn't competing; the American Smooth was in 2012 and the Jive was in 2009, so I guess she appeared as a guest. Both must've been before my time of watching Strictly, as I'm sure I'd have remembered her dancing in it!

She is primarily a ballet dancer, but has danced other styles, such as modern, jazz and contemporary etc. So she definitely has way more experience and knowledge than her predecessor, Alesha Dixon (couldn't stand her on SCD!), had as she was nothing more than a one-time winner of Strictly. Darcey's comments on Strictly, as a judge, tend to be more aimed at general dance rather than specifically at ballroom steps, eg, she talks about core, stretching arms and neck, rond-de-jambe (ballet term), and so on. Whereas Len or Judge Shirley might mention things like "fleckles", something which (I believe?) is purely ballroom as I'd never heard of them until Strictly.

Also, and this can apply to the celebs with previous experience, when you're trained in one style of dancing, it can be harder to try and change your body movements to another style. As a very simple, basic, example: in ballet, your feet are always turned out; in contemporary or modern, they're often parallel and even occasionally turned in. So it can be quite hard to remember not to turn your feet out, especially when you end up walking in every day life with feet more turned out than the average person, due to having been trained to always turn your feet out.

• Thanks 1

Marina

Vegged Out
Shirl

I found the clips and bits of info on BBC ONE SCD and they concur with your thoughts about her appearances. I've been Strictly watching since 2006 but haven't always watched the "this is your partner" type of show so I'm assuming Darcey's dancing eluded me. Plus 2009-12 were my surgical saga years; urology and all that jazz. Plus, Pete was still working so we weren't always in front of the telly. We had People and Places to see.

She certainly showed how versatile she is. I recall her dancing for the 2012 Olympic open/close shows. Her height and stature make for her perfect for dreamy appearances. 

• Like 1

Sluggish
Marina

Now that I think about it, and you've helped remind me, I'm pretty sure I was watching Strictly in 2012, so I guess my memory failed me after all!

Alesha Dixon started as a judge in 2009 in series 7, and that was when I started watching Strictly, and I remember Chris Hollins winning it. I'd have remembered if it was earlier as I'd have been very aware of Arlene Phillips, as I went to her dance classes several times a week when I was a very young adult (with some of her Hot Gossip dancers in the same class too!).

As an aside, I started with ballet (up to intermediate, on points), then fell in love with what was then called "modern jazz" and mainly went to Arlene Phillips classes. My ambition was to be a pro dancer (I was earlier even sent to an audition for Pans People by my dance school, :rofl:, but had an injured ankle so I couldn't dance properly), but I unfortunately developed chronic ligament problems in both knees, which put an end to any serious dancing (and sports). I had no experience, nor interest, whatsoever in ballroom, it was awfully stuffy and sort of "rigid" dancing in those days (think Come Dancing instead of SCD, for anyone old enough to remember it)!

• Thanks 1

Marina

Vegged Out
Shirl
On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎27 at 23:28, Marina said:

As a bit of light entertainment whilst waiting for the results show, I thought some of you may like to see Darcey Bussell dancing on Strictly (if you haven't already seen it).

Thanks for the clips Marina! I love them. It took some digging to find the story behind Darcey and Ian dancing and I discovered the Premiere Show. She has the credibility to speak about the way celebs should use their bodies. It all makes sense now!

Vegged Out
Shirl
On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎27 at 14:12, Marina said:

That’s a tricky one for me this year. Often, I can pick the 4 finalists from week 1 or 2. But as it seems it might be a closer call than usual this year, I can’t quite do so. I can only say who I’d like to see in the final (at this still early stage), being Danny and Charles although I suspect Charles won't be due to his often not being popular with either the judges or the public.

Charles seems to have climbed the popularity tree so he might be a later finals entrant. I think either Ashley or Faye will feature (much to your dismay, I know). I would like to see Stacey there - for entertainment value. Lauren for tenacity and achievement, and Danny because he is fab! Graeme because he is learning to dance from a zero starting point.

Who do I NOT want in the final? Probably anyone who was a dancer before this and I know there are a few this year. 

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎27 at 14:12, Marina said:

Again, a tricky one as there are at least 3 who could be out this week. Also, it might depend on what dance they’re doing, especially as it’s Halloween week when dances can be so entertaining even if not so well danced and which could therefore gain votes.

I’d say (and would like) Seann to leave, except Judge Shirley seems to favour him... Will the GBP still vote him down this week?

Well, we know who it was and I felt it was time. The relationship between the celeb and pro seems to have broken down - I sensed a lot of negativity - so Goodbye to all that and Let's get on with the show.

I'm not a Hallowe'en fan but the costumes and make up always shine through the reason for that particular season. There was the usual mixture of elegance and ridiculousness. Kate was transformed with star dust and silver hair. Faye and Aljaž were like the terrible jazz twins - and very good at it!

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎30 at 15:26, Marina said:

As an aside, I started with ballet (up to intermediate, on points), then fell in love with what was then called "modern jazz" and mainly went to Arlene Phillips classes. My ambition was to be a pro dancer (I was earlier even sent to an audition for Pans People by my dance school, :rofl:, but had an injured ankle so I couldn't dance properly), but I unfortunately developed chronic ligament problems in both knees, which put an end to any serious dancing (and sports). I had no experience, nor interest, whatsoever in ballroom, it was awfully stuffy and sort of "rigid" dancing in those days (think Come Dancing instead of SCD, for anyone old enough to remember it)!

And now to our own Dance Expert. It must be akin to me reading a novel and wanting to get my editing pen out... as both an ex-teacher and copywriter, I do not suffer awful prose gladly. Anyone can make an error but when sloppy or unedited writing gets past the publisher, I despair! So, for you, seeing non-steps and mis-steps must drive you mad!

Flick Colby eat your heart out... you could have been a judge, Marina!

On we go to Saturday's show. Comment here if you need to - we can't keep saying the same things about the celebs - they need to pull out some surprises, don't they?

Sluggish
Marina
3 hours ago, Shirl said:

I think either Ashley or Faye will feature (much to your dismay, I know).

I think that's inevitable...

3 hours ago, Shirl said:

Who do I NOT want in the final? Probably anyone who was a dancer before this and I know there are a few this year. 

Except that would include Danny... :sadwalk:

3 hours ago, Shirl said:

I do not suffer awful prose gladly. Anyone can make an error but when sloppy or unedited writing gets past the publisher, I despair!

You and me alike! I've done proof-reading and I try to read what I've typed several times before posting, but the worst these days seems to be on Facebook... they're, their, there, etc is bad enough but when "chest of drawers" is spelt "chester drawers", you just want to scream out loud, very loudly! The grammar and spelling can be beyond atrocious... :pullhair:

But I digress... To be honest, I wouldn't necessarily know a good from bad ballroom step, ie: those "fleckles" etc.

Marina

Vegged Out
Shirl
4 minutes ago, Marina said:

...they're, their, there, etc is bad enough but when "chest of drawers" is spelt "chester drawers", you just want to scream out loud, very loudly! The grammar and spelling can be beyond atrocious...

When I became a teacher in the early 70s, we were encouraged to observe pupils' learning abilities and plan accordingly. The curriculum as such was the History/Geography/Science Topic/Project. All the rest, bar Art, PE and Music, were basic skills such as Plenty of Practice and repetition of Spelling, Grammar, Numeracy, Phonics/Look&Say as both matter, reading practice and around again.

If it snowed unexpectedly we had time for extra artwork and creative writing. The Romans or Farm Animals could wait.

We are now seeing the results of a National Curriculum that changed good primary education for a multi-content, over-filled, less perceptive, over-tested and uber-prescribed system that let down the teachers and damaged the pupils for years to come. Thank you, Mr Baker!