The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Happymama

Mixing words up

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Balanced
Happymama

Is this a thing?  I definitely get it in concentrated periods of a few weeks.  It's as if the wires to words are missing and my very clever brain just sticks another in that's relatively random but not always.  I'll be saying 'it's in the kitchen', and 'it's in the garden' will come out absolutely seamlessly.  My children have noticed.  

I'm managing to catch most before they come out now -  it's all a learning curve - and hesitate while my brain finds a new pathway to the word I want.  I usually go through three or four before I get there - triumphant!

Otherwise my symptoms have been quiet since April, apart from the ball of my right foot, which is painful, sore and hurts to walk on, with shooting pains into my midsole.  It was hurting before I climbed out of bed, so it's not just from walking in heels (I had trainers on the last few days).  

Vegged Out
Shirl
20 minutes ago, Happymama said:

I'm managing to catch most before they come out now -  it's all a learning curve - and hesitate while my brain finds a new pathway to the word I want.  I usually go through three or four before I get there - triumphant!

A perfect description of my daily cognitive battle with words. It is why I prefer writing. My brain copes better.

Edited by Shirl

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Sluggish
Marina
1 hour ago, Shirl said:

It is why I prefer writing. My brain copes better.

Me too.

I have a tendency to sometimes not be able to string a verbal sentence together, so it ends up sounding  all muddled. Other times, I forget a word totally and have to try to describe it as: "you know, that round thing you put food on and eat off".

Cognitive problems in MS are quite common.

Memory-and-thinking-problems-5050.jpg
WWW.MSTRUST.ORG.UK

Problems with thinking and memory affect around half of all people with MS. Cognition is the medical term for thinking...

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Paula Simpson

I no exactly how you feel with only being diagnosed a few years ago I've struggled with this I completely loose my train of thought I now no there is a reason for this as I can remember saying to my husband when I had brain surgery I think they took to much of my brain lol his reply was if they could find a brain in there 😀but I find if I don't worry about it and over think things at some point it comes back to me even if the conversations over I start it off once I remember so fully understand where your coming from x

Vegged Out
Shirl
32 minutes ago, Paula Simpson said:

I find if I don't worry about it and over think things at some point it comes back to me...

What a lovely tip. If I'm with people I know very well, I hold my hand up and they let me say something before it flies out of my head, never to return.

But the one thing I have not mastered is " oh I wish I'd thought of that..." when the opportunity has finished. I tried keeping a notebook with a page for each family member and friends. It didn't work!

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Paula Simpson

I've tried the memory book too but guess what I carnt remember where I put it 😂😂

I have learnt over this past couple of years just to laugh because crying gets you no where I'm still hopeful I will remember where the book is at some point take care 

Paula 

• Like 1

Sluggish
Marina

Memory book... you wouldn’t believe the amount of to-do lists, post-it notes and bits of paper with hand-scribbled notes I have scattered all over the place (including iPad or computer apps), in either neat piles or disorderly. I always forget to look at them! :bashhead:

As for conversations, years ago, just before my DX, my OH would accuse me of not listening... then, shortly after, a doctor explained to us that it was a symptom, and my OH is now understanding of this. What seems to happen is that my mind momentarily goes blank, so I lose the plot of what was being said :oops:

The MS Trust have a separate site dedicated to cognitive issues, with tips and guides, etc; except it's not optimised for mobiles and the font size is tiny by today's standards, and their videos are in Flash (which most browsers won't show these days):

stayingsmart-facebook.png
WWW.STAYINGSMART.ORG.UK

Learn more about cognitive difficulties in MS. Build confidence in managing them. Share useful information.

• Like 1

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)