The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
ptlike

Holiday in edingburgh

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

ptlike

Hi all, just back from 7 day holiday in edingburgh.  I travelled to edingburgh by train, I booked assistance before travelling.

I would recommend anyone travelling with mobility issues does the same. Taxis's in Edinburgh all seem to have ramps designed for wheelchairs as do the buses and tram I'm told. Edingburgh is hilly so be aware of that if you are considering travelling too. Edinburgh Castle has transport within its grounds and staff are very helpful.

Best wishes

Peter

• Like 1

Nick

Sounds like you had a good trip Peter.

I'm just in the process of changing my wheelchair and have always contemplated adding power wheels. At the moment when travelling I still use a car and scooter combination, leaving the manual chair strictly for flat even surfaces.  The difficulties of public transport are something I have not really had to face, but it's great news that it's possible to get around Edinburgh in the way you describe. More to the point, what a brilliant city to visit!!

Nick 

Just another Warrior...........

ptlike

Hi nick, yes public transport very wheel chair friendly but no all accepts scooters no matter how small. There is a wheelchair on the market that doubles as a Manuel and powered but has inflatable rear tyres. Dunno if I'm allowed to say here but look on amazon. I doubt it could be held in an aeroplane hold with batteries; I think they may need to go onto plane itself. I would try a local bus trip first but it is fairly easy.

Ps ensure brakes are good, I did shoot down sightseeing bus when it went over a big bump but was the fault of my brakes ha. 

Best wishes

Peter

Edited by ptlike

Nick

Well here in Norfolk we call anything a hill, even when its hard to see the difference between that and a level surface!  The people at wheelchair services were brilliant with me the other day and I am getting a rigid frame lightweight chair which is strong enough to accept the powered wheels that are now available to fit directly onto this kind of frame.  A few interesting facts about this is that this kind of arrangement will always be a compromise to having a fully powered chair.  I don't need that kind of thing as I still manage to walk, the problem is  I am very limited on distance and simply can't handle crowds or uneven surfaces.  The wheels I am after are hugely expensive and I'm looking to finance them myself!  In the meantime I shall be able to use the manual wheels as normal.  My right side is so weak now that its tricky to get the balance and push for the chair, however my test drive of the new chair shows how design has come on and its much easier to control than my present one.

Nick 

Vegged Out
Shirl
On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎28 at 02:49, ptlike said:

Hi all, just back from 7 day holiday in edingburgh.  I travelled to edingburgh by train, I booked assistance before travelling.

I would recommend anyone travelling with mobility issues does the same

Hi Peter

Before I met my hubby, in the early 2000s I did a lot of train travel/taxi combos. Not Scotland and not far-flung. A lot of London crossings, Paddington-Victoria to access the South. Always I was cared for by brilliant rail staff that met me and placed me where I needed to be.

In many ways I am now spoilt through having my own driver, planner, carer called Pete the Husband!

I'm glad you've had a good holiday

Shirley  "one day at a time"

ptlike

Hi Shirley,  do you rent peter out?

Best wishes

Peter

• Funny HaHa 2

ptlike

Hi Shirley I meant to ask do you rent pete out but pred txt changed, great name by way 

Best wishes

Peter

Nick

What a great thing it is to have supportive partners!! Love the comment Peter!!

• Like 1

Vegged Out
Shirl

There is a small downside to having a loving husband... too easy to waste positive energy fearing the loss of him. I have to remind Me that such fear is an invisible and malign force for negativity that can only lead to inertia and despair. So silly! Instead, I thank him every day and then we just get on with the business of navigating MS seas.

• Like 1

Shirley  "one day at a time"